Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something a little wrong here, surely?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
My point however here is if you are going to say that the residents of the irish republic are reclaiming their version of the tricolour from the IRA (which started as a legitimate political organisation). Dont forget that the residents of the 'Mainland' need to reclaim the Union Flag and the red cross of St George back from the murdering b*st*rds linked to the orange men!!!
I am well aware that the Union Flag and the cross of St George have been misappropriated by various extremist organisations, the point I was making (which you obviously didn't read) was that the process of reclaiming the flags from these groups (in the United Kingdom, and in England in reference to the latter flag) only began about 10-15 years ago.

These things take time, although the Government authorities could do a lot more to encourage things. Not least putting a stop on loony councils and police officers who seem to think that flying a national flag constitutes incitement to racial hatred.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
After living in Belfast for a while, I wouldn't personally fly a flag of any description. Take me for what I am/say/do, not just the region/country/continent of my birth!
Birthplace and nationality are not the same thing.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:10 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Birthplace and nationality are not the same thing.
Correct. And so?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
So are you saying you find all those people in England that have other nationalities stickers are being impolite and really shouldn't display their origin.

Could come overas a racist statement ot some but I understand what your trying to say.

yes i think its impolite-both flags wouldnt be

no its not racist, it might be countryist but not racist
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by acer rose
Correct. And so?

You were the one making an issue about being associated with the country etc where you were born. I was pointing out that no-one is obliged to give allegiance to their birthplace.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:29 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You were the one making an issue about being associated with the country etc where you were born. I was pointing out that no-one is obliged to give allegiance to their birthplace.
Ah, a misunderstanding then.

I have no problem being associated with my country of birth or nationality. I have no problem with other people who choose to leave the country of their birth and never look back. I was simply pointing out that because people tend to make judgements about identifiable groups (whether from accent, attire or appearance) rather than indivduals, I would not choose to fly flags and immediately create an association in someone else's mind over which I have no control.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

This a great thread!

I and my wife live not 20 minutes drive from St. George, NB.

Next weekend (as last year), the towns main street will be full of flags flying from street light posts etc.

The town of St. George, NB - celebrates "Dragon Day" by remembering it`s connection to "Old England".

This is yet another wonderful bonus for my wife and I living in this area - as we speak fondly of times past in ENGLAND - NOT BRITAIN as any old bugger can be BRITISH.

The UK flag I believe is now - a rag coloured blue and consists of a circular design featuring golden stars!!!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
The UK flag I believe is now - a rag coloured blue and consists of a circular design featuring golden stars!!!
You believe wrong, then.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:53 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not aware of any specifically Canadian customs, I have tapped a tree for syrup, is that what you mean ?
Tut -tut ignorance from an immigrant who unusual....

That flag has not been in common used by anyone but far right political parties for decades until very recently, there isn't a recent historical precedent for flying it.
Says you,

I don't have one to hand, what do you think he or she would say ?
Go try your luck.

I'm not saying ban anything, I just think you should be embarassed to own such a flag.
Fortunately I'm not you, fancy being so ignorant to tell someone to be embraased by their heritage.

I don't need a symbol of England but if you want one pick something neutal, don't try to change a symbol in current use to have the meaning you choose. How about a square steering wheel ?
As you don't need a symbol I shall take all your replies as meaningless troll like drivel.

Goodbye.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately I'm not you, fancy being so ignorant to tell someone to be embraased by their heritage.
The National Front, the British National Party and their various forerunners, are just part of my heritage. They're not a part I choose to celebrate.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:07 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

trolling .
edited to reflect true content.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

edited to reflect true content.
That's not a quote. However, if that's how you feel about opinions differing from yours, perhaps you are waving the right flag.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:25 pm
Happy in Canada.

trolling. trolling trolling
Good attempt, but still trolling.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by koogar
not sure if it's connected, but some councils in England have actually announced that anyone flying the St. George flag for St. Georges' day without permission will be fined. You seem to be able to fly any other nations flag here though without a problem.
Seems very odd to me
I don't understand how Council's could stop or fine people from flying a flag? I work for a Council and don't know how this could be undertaken as you are not breaking the law??? I'm confused.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:01 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

The official C of E website ... note the flag of St George .. flown on every C of E church in the UK .. hardly a racist symbol, is it?

http://www.churchnewspaper.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.