Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Something a little wrong here, surely?

Having recently received my first Canadian passport, I went to put it away with my UK one. I noticed that they have very similar emblems on the front. I'm presuming that Canada's is based on the UK's. What struck me, however, is that the Canadian version contains the Union flag; the UK one doesn't. That same Canadian emblem also appears on our banknotes and presumably lots of government paperwork. The Union flag, or modified elements of British Isles heraldry, is also evident in all provincial flags, with one obvious exception.

It would appear that the Union flag is used or depicted more in Canada than in the UK. Isn't that, well, a little odd?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:50 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something a little wrong here, surely?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Having recently received my first Canadian passport, I went to put it away with my UK one. I noticed that they have very similar emblems on the front. I'm presuming that Canada's is based on the UK's. What struck me, however, is that the Canadian version contains the Union flag; the UK one doesn't. That same Canadian emblem also appears on our banknotes and presumably lots of government paperwork. The Union flag, or modified elements of British Isles heraldry, is also evident in all provincial flags, with one obvious exception.

It would appear that the Union flag is used or depicted more in Canada than in the UK. Isn't that, well, a little odd?
not sure if it's connected, but some councils in England have actually announced that anyone flying the St. George flag for St. Georges' day without permission will be fined. You seem to be able to fly any other nations flag here though without a problem.
Seems very odd to me
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:15 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
not sure if it's connected, but some councils in England have actually announced that anyone flying the St. George flag for St. Georges' day without permission will be fined. You seem to be able to fly any other nations flag here though without a problem.
Seems very odd to me

Which is why I changed my profile as it is the Flag of England and not a racist symbol. If people take ofence then I will take offence that because of my heritage they are accusing me.

So fly the flag and then challenge in court as you rights should be as equal as everyone else.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Souvenir

Dont get me started!
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Which is why I changed my profile as it is the Flag of England and not a racist symbol.
Hmmm. The swastika is an ancient good luck symbol but it's optimistic to think that, if you fly a swastika flag in your front garden, people will overlook the nazi connection and see it as such.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

MesserMoony is on a distinguished road

IMO there is a difference between a symbol and a country's flag.

What do I know though? I am just glad I can fly the St George's flag in Canada without being accused of being racist
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MesserMoony
IMO there is a difference between a symbol and a country's flag.

What do I know though? I am just glad I can fly the St George's flag in Canada without being accused of being racist
If I saw it flying here I'd think it a racist symbol, something like the confederate flag; the only house around here that has those flags is the local white supremacist headquarters. I expect it'd go unnoticed in most of Canada because people wouldn't associate it with anything at all but that doesn't imply that they think it a benign display, they just don't know it.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hmmm. The swastika is an ancient good luck symbol but it's optimistic to think that, if you fly a swastika flag in your front garden, people will overlook the nazi connection and see it as such.
LOL. I do like your bits and bobs.

And try telling the Chosen people their symbol was first used by the opposition.

Mind you I bet Mr and Mrs Caveman could come up with two sticks at right angels. Not exactly the sort of branding you could charge for these days.

Its all highlights and swooshes.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

MesserMoony is on a distinguished road

You wouldn't like my balcony then, I have St George's flag, two union jack flags, St Andrew's flag and Mike has 2/3 Canadian flags.

I have the variety to represent who I am, I am proud of being English (ok Scot too but born in England). Doesn't make me racist, just makes me proud of England.

Then again, I think the UK government would rather us be ashamed of being what we are most of the time ..... which is why I hate politics.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:29 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to remove the NEW meaning is to fly it everywhere and regain it to it's rightful place in English society. Something to be proud of not ashamed.

If people start seeing it proudly flying in non-racist events then the racist will be seen as an extremist group hijacking and not a threatening behaviour in the same sense as a KKK or Nazis symbol.

Is the Crescent and star any different?

Please remember we are talking about a proud national symbol that is legally bound to a current nation. Not an ancient unused symbol.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by MesserMoony
You wouldn't like my balcony then, I have St George's flag, two union jack flags, St Andrew's flag and Mike has 2/3 Canadian flags.
Is this Claridges ?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Grah
The only way to remove the NEW meaning is to fly it everywhere and regain it to it's rightful place in English society.
I'm 49. I grew up in London. I've never known a time when that was an innocent symbol. It seems to me perverse to argue that displaying it harks back to a time when it was acceptable, that was long long ago and in another country. I think the case of the swastika is directly comparable, if you're comfortable with swastikas on porches then, I guess, crosses should be fine too, but I see such emblems as being needlessly inflammatory especially when displayed by immigrants.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:54 pm
Happy in Canada.

I'm 49. I grew up in London. I've never known a time when that was an innocent symbol. It seems to me perverse to argue that displaying it harks back to a time when it was acceptable, that was long long ago and in another country. I think the case of the swastika is directly comparable, if you're comfortable with swastikas on porches then, I guess, crosses should be fine too, but I see such emblems as being needlessly inflammatory especially when displayed by immigrants.

I am proud to fly the flag of England, I refuse to allow it to be hijack and have is meaning stolen.

You are right the case of the swastika is directly comparable, the true meaning was preverted and now lost. Perhaps it's not to late for the flag of England.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

And where does the idea of what is and what is not inflamatory come from if not directly from political correctness. Give it a few years and any cross, never mind German or English, may be considered inflamatory.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 10:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Gezza
And where does the idea of what is and what is not inflamatory come from if not directly from political correctness. Give it a few years and any cross, never mind German or English, may be considered inflamatory.
Please define political correctness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.