Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:22 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Something a little wrong here, surely?

Originally Posted by yonk
But wasn't it because the UK passport was "harmonised" to fit in with the EC (or whatever it's called at the moment? Hence all the translations on it and not specific country references, see Euro notes for same idea??
Don't think so. My old blue passport has the same emblem on it (no flag). Thanks for getting back on topic, though.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

slimon007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am white have short hair....in my late 30's, occasionally fly the flag and wear tshirts etc. (England football/Rugby) out and about.... it's sad that back in the UK this would be viewed as racist.

One of the reasons for leaving the UK in my view, being able to leave that (what are you looking at?) mentality behind was a breathe of fresh air.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slimon007
I am white have short hair....in my late 30's, occasionally fly the flag and wear tshirts etc. (England football/Rugby) out and about.... it's sad that back in the UK this would be viewed as racist.

One of the reasons for leaving the UK in my view, being able to leave that (what are you looking at?) mentality behind was a breathe of fresh air.
Absolutely agree with you there! My only fear is; that's it's just a matter of time......Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Having recently received my first Canadian passport, I went to put it away with my UK one. I noticed that they have very similar emblems on the front. I'm presuming that Canada's is based on the UK's. What struck me, however, is that the Canadian version contains the Union flag; the UK one doesn't. That same Canadian emblem also appears on our banknotes and presumably lots of government paperwork. The Union flag, or modified elements of British Isles heraldry, is also evident in all provincial flags, with one obvious exception.

It would appear that the Union flag is used or depicted more in Canada than in the UK. Isn't that, well, a little odd?
The Union Flag was part of the Canadian national flag until 1965.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
But wasn't it because the UK passport was "harmonised" to fit in with the EC (or whatever it's called at the moment? Hence all the translations on it and not specific country references, see Euro notes for same idea??
The fact that the British passport is issued in a common format with other countries in the EU does not alter the fact it is still a *British* passport, not an *EU* one. The EU itself does not issue passports as it is not a country.

The national symbol was unaffected by this change.

Common format passports are appearing in other parts of the world, if you ever come across a passport from a member state of Caricom or Mercosur you may see references to the international organisation as well as to the member state in question.

And in general, passport formats have been governed by international conventions going back to the 1920s.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:52 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The Union Flag was part of the Canadian national flag until 1965.
The Canadian Mint manages to bring out new coins pretty much weekly. You'd think the government could organise a new logo during the course of four decades.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, ok, getting my Euro knowledge and passports mixed up. Must go stare at passport!

Y.

Originally Posted by JAJ
The fact that the British passport is issued in a common format with other countries in the EU does not alter the fact it is still a *British* passport, not an *EU* one. The EU itself does not issue passports as it is not a country.

The national symbol was unaffected by this change.

Common format passports are appearing in other parts of the world, if you ever come across a passport from a member state of Caricom or Mercosur you may see references to the international organisation as well as to the member state in question.

And in general, passport formats have been governed by international conventions going back to the 1920s.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tangram
Never really thought of it as a racist flag ... ever

However, back to topic, never felt the shame of England conquering a 1/3 of the world and then giving it back with the addition of railways, infrastructure, legal systems etc so I don't think I will start now.

Paul.

Your assessment of British colonial power is quite amusing, I think the infrastructure of trains in say India was for the benefit of the Brits.

If you have never seen the flag used by racists you must be very young or blind.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hudman
If you have never seen the flag used by racists you must be very young or blind.

Racists in many countries use the national flag for their own purposes, it's no reason for a flag not to be used more widely. Problems really arise when a country doesn't take pride in its flag and you end up with a situation where the *only* people using that particular flag are the racist element.

No flag of a good and free nation can ever be "racist".
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The Canadian Mint manages to bring out new coins pretty much weekly. You'd think the government could organise a new logo during the course of four decades.

"New logos" are an obsession of marketing departments and consultants, but why do you suggest Canada needs one?
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Racists in many countries use the national flag for their own purposes, it's no reason for a flag not to be used more widely. Problems really arise when a country doesn't take pride in its flag and you end up with a situation where the *only* people using that particular flag are the racist element.

But, in this instance, the flag had not been used for a very long time, I hadn't seen one until the far right started using it, so the efforts now are not about reclaiming it from the neo-nazis so much as about claiming it for the first time. The sudden interest in the flag seems to me to be a bit suspect.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ

This is a fair point but a bit remote from the realities of the flags usage. The Cross of St George is the only national flag I've seen regularly used the world over by far right racists. I've seen it used in rallies in the old East Germany plus its one of the flags of choice of various right wing/Nazi groups in USA.
I've never seen the Tricolor used worldwide with such a meaning,.So the flag as a national logo has been tainted.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

I've never seen the Tricolor used worldwide with such a meaning,.So the flag as a national logo has been tainted.
Which Tricolour do you mean? (there are lots?)
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which Tricolour do you mean? (there are lots?)

Does not really matter, I actually meant France. The National party there is also higher profile and more mainstream than the shambolic morons in the BNP. Added to this parts of France had a history of Nazi collaboration. So maybe a better symbol of far right sympathies than our national flag.
Like I said I've only seen Flag of St G as an icon for right wing extremist across the globe (which I agree is a shame).
I guess we did export the Skin'ead/ Nazi imagery thing via popular culture very well.
Which is why I am surprised people keep questioning the link.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

CitySlicker will become famous soon enough

This is a fair point but a bit remote from the realities of the flags usage. The Cross of St George is the only national flag I've seen regularly used the world over by far right racists. I've seen it used in rallies in the old East Germany plus its one of the flags of choice of various right wing/Nazi groups in USA.
I'd have thought that either the flag of the Confederacy or the Nazi swastika, both official flags in their time were used much more than the Cross of St George by far-right groups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.