Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Something a little wrong here, surely?

Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something a little wrong here, surely?

Originally Posted by 1066
The official C of E website ... note the flag of St George .. flown on every C of E church in the UK .. hardly a racist symbol, is it?

http://www.churchnewspaper.com/
I don't believe the flag is flown on every C of E church but regardless, I don't see the connection between the church and racism.

Here are some pictures of C of E churches.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mosmd/englandphotos.htm

No flags. No burning crosses either. If the C of E has any relevance today it's not on issues such as racism. The congregation is predominantly white because it's predominantly old people, it reflects the demographics of England in the post-war period rather than England today, it's not racist, not anti-racist, not relevant really.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 18th 2006 at 7:14 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

The official C of E website ... note the flag of St George .. flown on every C of E church in the UK .. hardly a racist symbol, is it?

http://www.churchnewspaper.com/
WTF... The issue is the usage by the far right, which is undeniable. This thread is in danger of endind up like the "block heater" debate,i.e. going round in circles.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't believe the flag is flown on every C of E church but regardless, I don't see the connection between the church and racism.

Here are some pictures of C of E churches.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mosmd/englandphotos.htm

No flags. No burning crosses either. If the C of E has any relevance today it's not on issues such as racism. The congregation is predominantly white because it's predominantly old people, it reflects the demographics of England in the post-war period rather than England today, it's not racist, not anti-racist, not relevant really.

Pretty pictures though, I miss that crusty smell of decaying old cruds that permeates through those building.
It says it all when the examples of "popular" usage are dying institutions like the Church.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgilbert
I don't understand how Council's could stop or fine people from flying a flag? I work for a Council and don't know how this could be undertaken as you are not breaking the law??? I'm confused.
i thought it was that you could fly flags from one flagpole without permission, any more flagpoles or any flagpoles mounted on houses needed planning permission. its not to do with the flag itself.

the flag of st george is the anglican flag- i just looked that up- this is apparently different to the english flag.

a red cross on white is also the renaissance art symbol of the resurrection.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgilbert
I don't understand how Council's could stop or fine people from flying a flag? I work for a Council and don't know how this could be undertaken as you are not breaking the law??? I'm confused.

Correct - councils don't have the power to impose fines (although some people think they do, and some councils might dearly like to).
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:14 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hudman
WTF... The issue is the usage by the far right, which is undeniable. This thread is in danger of endind up like the "block heater" debate,i.e. going round in circles.
This thread has been going around in circles for 6 pages .. have you only just noticed? ..
Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

This thread has been going around in circles for 6 pages .. have you only just noticed? ..

Well, you can alwyas opt for...Not following it!

I think the subject is a valid one. I once read a book by an author of Linguistical studies by a name "Lions" - can't remember the initials, whose theory stated that "the Language is rooted in Culture and the Culture is rooted in Religion. So, if this was true political correctness on its way to a multicultural society would inevitably need to try at some point to do away with Religion as well. Hence the problem with the crosses: Religious as well as national.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza

I think the subject is a valid one. I once read a book by an author of Linguistical studies by a name "Lions" - can't remember the initials, whose theory stated that "the Language is rooted in Culture and the Culture is rooted in Religion. So, if this was true political correctness on its way to a multicultural society would inevitably need to try at some point to do away with Religion as well. Hence the problem with the crosses: Religious as well as national.
You haven't defined political correctness yet so it doesn't help to again make reference to it. Refer posts 14 and 15.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 19th 2006 at 5:58 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lyons_(linguist)

Him ?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:38 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

What?
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, that's the man!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

You haven't defined political correctness yet so it doesn't help to again make reference to it. Refer posts 14 and 15.
I haven't but I havn't forgotten either. Working on it still!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

I haven't but I havn't forgotten either. Working on it still!
I'm not sure about that part of your posts but I think you confuse mono-culture with multi-culture. A multi-culture must involve multiple systems of belief and necessarily entails friction between them. Stamping out superstitions and the related icons isn't part of building a multi-culture.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not sure about that part of your posts but I think you confuse mono-culture with multi-culture. A multi-culture must involve multiple systems of belief and necessarily entails friction between them. Stamping out superstitions and the related icons isn't part of building a multi-culture.
Theoretically you are right. Stamping out anything openly must lead to the problem with the "reaction". but if you place lots of different religions side by side it is quite easy to predict that it must lead to the gradual demise of all. And you can always help that process by "eliminating the areas of conflict".
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

if you place lots of different religions side by side it is quite easy to predict that it must lead to the gradual demise of all.
That would be wonderful but it's not going to happen. There are lots of religions thriving side by side right outside this office and there have been lots of religions thriving side by side all over the world for centuries. Governments have tried stamping out religions and religious believers are always struggling to kill off believers in other religions, still the religions persist.

Think about it, can you give an example of a major religion that no longer exists ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.