Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SNOWING in Abbotsford!!!

SNOWING in Abbotsford!!!

Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Re: SNOWING in Abbotsford!!!

Originally Posted by helcat12
Just thought I would tell you.

My first snow in Canada and I am very excited.
How childish is that!
Enjoy I love the snow and never tire of seeing it (and yes, I drive in it every day and work outside in it at -45 (ok so that is a little chilly I grant you!))

PS - if you can make snowmen you are lucky - here its way too dry to make snowmen until about May!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In the City you get the dirty slush, it is true; I assume (hope!!) that is what you are referring to.
If not, I am getting a MUCH sturdier umbrella.....

Out here in farming country though, I am sure it will be enduringly dove-white, deep, crisp and sparkly, just like on the cards.........
It'll be gone by the the end of Friday. Just wait until there is an outflow for three weeks!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:51 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It'll be gone by the the end of Friday. Just wait until there is an outflow for three weeks!
It did this last year, my OH tells me - snow very early in the season for this far South and then next to nothing until Easter, when it snowed briefly again.

It was much worse in the UK last year.
A little old resident of my village told me, as we stood in a near blizzard (the only two people to have ventured outside for a while, if the pristine carpet of snow was anything to go by) that it was the worst snow in the village since 1952!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:48 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

It snowed the same weekend last year here - Canfitpro Vancouver weekend!

Buggery bollox just remembered I have to be in Abby for 9.15 tomorrow morning - better put me shovel in the car!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:54 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Currently snowing in Airdrie, Alberta and looks like we are in for a few cms tonight. A lovely, bracing minus 27 in the wind chill for the walk to the school bus tomorrow morning.

Now I know why the neighbours have put up their Christmas lights in mid November. Looks like hubby will be doing his Santa impression on the garage roof this weekend, lol
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:04 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Currently snowing in Airdrie, Alberta and looks like we are in for a few cms tonight. A lovely, bracing minus 27 in the wind chill for the walk to the school bus tomorrow morning.

Now I know why the neighbours have put up their Christmas lights in mid November. Looks like hubby will be doing his Santa impression on the garage roof this weekend, lol
Health and Safety!!!
If he is going to do that, make sure he puts the inflatable reindeer on the lawn first - he might need it to break his fall...

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
It snowed the same weekend last year here - Canfitpro Vancouver weekend!

Buggery bollox just remembered I have to be in Abby for 9.15 tomorrow morning - better put me shovel in the car!
Think you will be OK without the shovel but just take it carefully on the bends.
We do not want you in a ditch (or a salmon habitat, as they seem to like to call ditches round here
Boy, salmon fry must be very hardy creatures indeed to live in there)
Make sure you do have some chocolate in the car in case you get stranded.
OK, this is just an excuse to have chocolate in the car, but it is a good excuse. I am checking the Winter Kit in the car boot regularly to make sure my OH has not scoffed the emergency supplies on the sly.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:07 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Health and Safety!!!
If he is going to do that, make sure he puts the inflatable reindeer on the lawn first - he might need it to break his fall...

Think you will be OK without the shovel but just take it carefully on the bends.
We do not want you in a ditch (or a salmon habitat, as they seem to like to call ditches round here
Boy, salmon fry must be very hardy creatures indeed to live in there)
Make sure you do have some chocolate in the car in case you get stranded.
OK, this is just an excuse to have chocolate in the car, but it is a good excuse. I am checking the Winter Kit in the car boot regularly to make sure my OH has not scoffed the emergency supplies on the sly.
so far I have 2 blankets, a lara bar and some fruit strips - the car is a subaru with winter tyres so I should be ok - its the other donuts! I need some tea lights and matches - in case I get stranded - keeps the interior warm without having so use the engine ! OOOH and lots of choc
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:19 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

so far I have 2 blankets, a lara bar and some fruit strips - the car is a subaru with winter tyres so I should be ok - its the other donuts! I need some tea lights and matches - in case I get stranded - keeps the interior warm without having so use the engine ! OOOH and lots of choc
And brandy.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:19 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Oink
And brandy.
indeed!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:32 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=helcat12;9739835]Health and Safety!!!

Inflatable reindeer and other thingies are a bit chav don't ya think?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:34 am
Island life at last

Yes, I have
chocolate cereal bars,
tea lights and a lighter,
gloves,
Balaclavas,
fleece,
torch and spare batteries
ice scraper
hand warmers that heat up when you open them to the air. (I got those in Dollarama and I think they are fab in emergencies!)

I have been looking for a foldable shovel, but not found one yet.

In the Explorer there is loads of room for this stuff to stay in there all the time, which is good.
The boot is so big with the seats down I could sleep in it quite easily, so if I ever did get stranded I plan to be comfortable.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:35 am
Island life at last

[QUOTE=snowcandy;9739868]
Health and Safety!!!

Inflatable reindeer and other thingies are a bit chav don't ya think?
You would think so until you hurt yourself slipping off the garage roof and landing on the tasteful and eco-friendly solar stick lights that you have put round the lawn...
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:50 am
Don't call me MOM!!

Had we eco friendly solar lights I fear they would be under a foot of snow by morning.

By the way talking of naff decorations...did anyone get that free "elegant" Christmas decoartion form Superstore last week? Very odd- bits of fir, leylandii and funny red sticks stuck in a lump of oasis and topped with a horrible red velvet bow. Whenever I spend over $250 and the gift of the week seems to be crappy
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=helcat12;9739873]
Originally Posted by snowcandy

You would think so until you hurt yourself slipping off the garage roof and landing on the tasteful and eco-friendly solar stick lights that you have put round the lawn...
You put this thread up, then look what happens - I blame you entirely for the mess out there!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

No snow in the east ..... yet ! May it stay like that for a while ( but it won't ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.