Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:19 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

I would also query why they are proposing the same salary for fort Mac compared to the other locations offered.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I would also query why they are proposing the same salary for fort Mac compared to the other locations offered.
My company has offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Fort Mac, the Fort Mac office offers 20% more, just because they are desperate to get people to relocate here.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Thanks Former Lancastrian- The Saskatchewan PNP indicates that you can be eligible for a PR after 6 months on a TWP. Is that correct? Obviously I will not be leaving my employer after 6 months of relocating to Canada.
You'd be eligible immediately under the FSW program, no need to wait 6 months to apply.

HTH.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:20 am
Just Joined

IndieDarling is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,

All three of those places have long, extremely cold winters. You are not going to get "the best of Spring, Autumn, and Summer" in any of those places.

Fort McMurray is out. It has nothing you want and isn't a place people go to live. It is a place people go to work, make money, and go back home.

I wouldn't call any of the three "multi-cultural". A lot of people are conservative and some might say a tad racist.

Regina is the safest of the three. Given it's size it has a decent nightlife. I lived there for a year and I found people to be realy friendly. If you mean American/Canadian football, which I doubt, than Regina has it's own team. They really love the Roughriders and everyone wears green on game days to support them!

You'll need a car to get around, but the downtown core is quite strong. Cathedral area, near downtown has a really good community feel to it. It is the provincal captial so there is a museum and art gallery, etc. A lot of people are there working in the oil industry so there can be a lot of testosterone at the bars.

I can't really speak about Saskatoon, since I've never lived there, but of the three it is the biggest and therefore has more to offer. It also has the problems that go along with a bigger city. If I were to choose a place, given what you've written, it would be Saskatoon.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Former Lancastrian- The Saskatchewan PNP indicates that you can be eligible for a PR after 6 months on a TWP. Is that correct? Obviously I will not be leaving my employer after 6 months of relocating to Canada.
Why not? It's their decision to pay so little (especially for Fort Mac, Saskatchewan it wouldn't be too bad), if you find an opportunity to add 30-50% why stay.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IndieDarling
Hey there,

All three of those places have long, extremely cold winters. You are not going to get "the best of Spring, Autumn, and Summer" in any of those places.

Fort McMurray is out. It has nothing you want and isn't a place people go to live. It is a place people go to work, make money, and go back home.

I wouldn't call any of the three "multi-cultural". A lot of people are conservative and some might say a tad racist.

Regina is the safest of the three. Given it's size it has a decent nightlife. I lived there for a year and I found people to be realy friendly. If you mean American/Canadian football, which I doubt, than Regina has it's own team. They really love the Roughriders and everyone wears green on game days to support them!

You'll need a car to get around, but the downtown core is quite strong. Cathedral area, near downtown has a really good community feel to it. It is the provincal captial so there is a museum and art gallery, etc. A lot of people are there working in the oil industry so there can be a lot of testosterone at the bars.

I can't really speak about Saskatoon, since I've never lived there, but of the three it is the biggest and therefore has more to offer. It also has the problems that go along with a bigger city. If I were to choose a place, given what you've written, it would be Saskatoon.

Hope that helps!

Which maybe why he would want to go there, finding the right employment in Fort Mac could open the doorway to living wherever he wants.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

IndieDarling- Thanks that was invaluable. I think racism is everywhere as there is always a tiny proportion of muppets who think they are superior to othet races, however it becomes highly concerning if its a majority view. I would like to think the whole of Regina are not racist. I meant proper football � ����, which I believe you lots call soccer

PeterF- I couldn't leave them after 6months, bear in mind they would have applied for the TWP on my behalf i.e. offering me my fitst opportunity in Canada. Bailing off after 6months will be pretty tight.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

PeterF- I couldn't leave them after 6months, bear in mind they would have applied for the TWP on my behalf i.e. offering me my fitst opportunity in Canada. Bailing off after 6months will be pretty tight.
You do know that the total cost for a TWP is $150? So it's hardly going to be leaving them much out of pocket if you do decide to leave after 6 months!

I guess all you can do is go to one of the three choices you've been given, realising that it's definitely not going to be what you're after, but that hopefully it will only be short term. Whether that's because you manage to eventually get transfered with the original company, or because you move companies after getting PR, is something you'll have to figure out as you go along.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
Why not? It's their decision to pay so little (especially for Fort Mac, Saskatchewan it wouldn't be too bad), if you find an opportunity to add 30-50% why stay.
Do you think I would struggle with 90k a year at Saskatchewan? I spoke to them about Fort Mac and they have offered 120k. I want to be able to afford a good standard of living and at least save some money.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think I would struggle with 90k a year at Saskatchewan? I spoke to them about Fort Mac and they have offered 120k. I want to be able to afford a good standard of living and at least save some money.
For the 30 k difference between Saskatchewan and Fort Mac then IMHO Saskatchewan wins hands down if you are looking at buying a property and wanting to travel with ease.
Renting in Fort Mac could be expensive as space is limited and house prices are expensive. There again you buy your Ford F150 and fit in with the Fort Mac crowd.
As of June this year they should be getting direct Denver service by United Airlines. I believe a direct Vegas flight is also on the cards if not already in service. Brand new terminal to open in 2014.
I think Im going to pass on asking for a tranfer
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You do know that the total cost for a TWP is $150? So it's hardly going to be leaving them much out of pocket if you do decide to leave after 6 months!

I guess all you can do is go to one of the three choices you've been given, realising that it's definitely not going to be what you're after, but that hopefully it will only be short term. Whether that's because you manage to eventually get transfered with the original company, or because you move companies after getting PR, is something you'll have to figure out as you go along.

Good luck.
Thats interesting

Does anyone know what costs are involved for an IEC application? My company took care of them but I think I saw $450 mentioned on the application and of course they have to pay their lawyers to prepare the LMO
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Thats interesting

Does anyone know what costs are involved for an IEC application? My company took care of them but I think I saw $450 mentioned on the application and of course they have to pay their lawyers to prepare the LMO
IEC or LMO? You've mentioned both above so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

IEC or LMO? You've mentioned both above so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
I was referring to the IEC cost in that post

So how much does an LMO cost?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I was referring to the IEC cost in that post

So how much does an LMO cost?
Ah, ok. It's just that you mentioned paying a lawyer to prepare the LMO application (not remotely necessary btw), so I wasn't sure which you were asking about.

No cost at all for LMO application, and £100 for IEC.

HTH.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, ok. It's just that you mentioned paying a lawyer to prepare the LMO application (not remotely necessary btw), so I wasn't sure which you were asking about.

No cost at all for LMO application, and £100 for IEC.

HTH.
Ok, thanks for the info

Luckily the company is looking after everything and its them who have engaged the services of lawyers

TWPs are overall it seems, pretty cheap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.