Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
oh for sure.

It rains a lot in winter, but summers here are fab. We definitely have true seasons. It is also densely populated, but it doesn't feel like that to me: lots of green space and highrises etc are designed to be surrounded by greenspace, amenities etc so it really doesn't feel like that. There is forest only 10 mins walk from my house and I only live 15 mins drive from downtown vancouver.

It is expensive. Yes. But, again, if you are willing to live in the fraser valley it's not that bad and out there, the weather is less rainy too.
Personally I wouldn't call an average of 22 degrees in summer fab, but then again our M'cr relatives call 20 degrees a heatwave

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Feb 19th 2013 at 6:30 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Personally I wouldn't call an average of 22 degrees in summer fab
But then the 35 degrees you mention earlier in the thread is my idea of absolute hell. Anything above 28 and I'm miserable.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But then the 35 degrees you mention earlier in the thread is my idea of absolute hell. Anything above 28 and I'm miserable.
It's a different kind of heat...
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I've not read all the thread, just the OP really.

I have lived in Saskatoon and currently I'm living in Edmonton but working on a project in Fort MacMurray that means I live 2 out of every 3 weeks in Fort MacMurray.

Looking at the salary they plan to start you off on, then it would be difficult in Fort MacMurray but not impossible for a single person.

Property here starts around the 500K mark. I'm in a rented apartment in the old town centre, 2 beds and I believe my company pays about $3K a month.

I've never been to Regina, but believe its not too different to Saskatoon. It is nearer to the US and other main cities than Saskatoon.

Saskatoon I found a little isolated, there was a bit of nightlife downtown and one or two areas just outside the Centre like Broadway. No-where is near to visit though, around is all Prarie.

Housing and renting is a lot cheaper, I rented a downtown apartment for just over $1K a month.

To be honest, if I was single though, even though the higher cost, I would be tempted to look at Fort MacMurray and get PR while working there. Once here you maybe able to plead poverty with the company to get more money and once you have PR and a few contacts you could look to move to a better paying company.

A lot of the companies here employ people on shift rotations and the people do not live in Fort MacMurray, the companies tend to fly people to and from their home and they stay in camps etc. The guy I share the apartment with lives on Vancouver Island for example.

So in the end you could live wherever you wanted.

The only thing to be wary about with Fort macMurray is the fact its driven by oil, if the price drops then a lot of work can get cancelled. Also the pipeline to the US, if that is not approved, then again a lot of job losses.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
They all naff off to Vancouver & Victoria so we have very few cold related deaths.
even the poor prefer Van
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
It's a different kind of heat...
But nope. I remember the Ontario summers with nothing but dismay, hot and humid just ain't my thing.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I should say I lived in Manchester as well
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

But nope. I remember the Ontario summers with nothing but dismay, hot and humid just ain't my thing.
the OH finds it really hard when he has to go in the summer for business...the heat is brutal (according to him).

I enjoy Van summers, not too hot or humid.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

maybe of interest

Fort MacMurray Community website
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

PeterF - Thanks a lot for your comments. Presumably, you understand my apprehension a bit more as you have lived in Manchester yourself. A lot of posters on this thread have discounted Fort Mcmurray, but I think you have shed a bit more light on things. How long do you have to live in Canada for to get the PR? Obviously, I will be going on a work permit for a few years, so I will be restricted to one employer. Can you get a PR from having a work permit?

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Can you get a PR from having a work permit?
Yes you can. Have a read of the Wiki to understand the various ways to do it.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you can. Have a read of the Wiki to understand the various ways to do it.

Where can I find the wiki please?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

PeterF - Thanks a lot for your comments. Presumably, you understand my apprehension a bit more as you have lived in Manchester yourself. A lot of posters on this thread have discounted Fort Mcmurray, but I think you have shed a bit more light on things. How long do you have to live in Canada for to get the PR? Obviously, I will be going on a work permit for a few years, so I will be restricted to one employer. Can you get a PR from having a work permit?

Thanks
It depends which Province you want to live in while awaiting PR. Once you get PR you can work anywhere and for anybody.
Perhaps you should read the following Provincial Nominee Programmes.
http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ting/ainp.aspx
http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/
http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...out/index.page

They all vary in timeframes and how they administer them.
Yes you can get PR from a TWP through various means the PNP being the easier ones.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Wiki is in the blue header box at the top of the page
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Where can I find the wiki please?
Read the 'Newcomers to the forum' sticky thread which takes you straight to it, or just follow the link in my signature.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Former Lancastrian- The Saskatchewan PNP indicates that you can be eligible for a PR after 6 months on a TWP. Is that correct? Obviously I will not be leaving my employer after 6 months of relocating to Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.