Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Old Feb 18th 2013, 6:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regina, Saskatoon or Fort McMurray.

Originally Posted by Oink
Get people these days. Anyway, is it French for the bog?
The French for bog, or at least swamp, is les marais. If I could be bothered I'd post a pic of the local ones which are especially attractive in February. You'd like them, they have fishies in them.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I would say if Vancouver is your prefered destination then why don't you look for a job there off your own bat?

I think you would get one plus a permit?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I would say if Vancouver is your prefered destination then why don't you look for a job there off your own bat?

I think you would get one plus a permit?
The OP seems to have disappeared for now. But surely an intra-company transfer is one of the least painful routes into this fine country?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your contributions, most notably Ann m and nina. A lot of Sacarscm flying about, but its cool I can take it...it's the spice of life😊

It appears there isn't much good news about SK as a province. The problem is the Vanvouver and Calgary offices are not recruiting, so I have been advised by the HR that I can easily transfer to Vancouver or Calgary if an opportunity arose. I understand the economy in SK is currently booming with a lot of exciting oil and gas projects underway, and to be perfectly honest that's one of the reasons why I am making the move ( get some natural resource experience).

I am still awaiting some pros about SK as all the posts have rather overstated the cons even though they are all probably FACTs 😀. If you are moving to Manchester, I could tell you about the cloudy, rainy, and wet summers, the lack of beaches, lakes, or sea, but I could also tell you about the positives - stable social life, multiculturalism, affordable, security etc.

I have made my mind up to make the move, so I will have to choose one of the three cities and put up with it for a year at least. All comments (both negatives and positives ) are still welcome.

Once again, many thanks for your posts. Much appreciated, keep them coming.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Thanks everyone for your contributions, most notably Ann m and nina. A lot of Sacarscm flying about, but its cool I can take it...it's the spice of life😊

It appears there isn't much good news about SK as a province. The problem is the Vanvouver and Calgary offices are not recruiting, so I have been advised by the HR that I can easily transfer to Vancouver or Calgary if an opportunity arose. I understand the economy in SK is currently booming with a lot of exciting oil and gas projects underway, and to be perfectly honest that's one of the reasons why I am making the move ( get some natural resource experience).

I am still awaiting some pros about SK as all the posts have rather overstated the cons even though they are all probably FACTs 😀. If you are moving to Manchester, I could tell you about the cloudy, rainy, and wet summers, the lack of beaches, lakes, or sea, but I could also tell you about the positives - stable social life, multiculturalism, affordable, security etc.

I have made my mind up to make the move, so I will have to choose one of the three cities and put up with it for a year at least. All comments (both negatives and positives ) are still welcome.

Once again, many thanks for your posts. Much appreciated, keep them coming.
Its not Manitoba.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:24 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'd go and live in any one of those three choices unless I had to, of the three, I'd pick Regina.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:30 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Hi

I am a 28 year old single, male geotechnical engineer and I currently live in Manchester UK (Originally from London). I am in the process of relocating to Canada mainly for a new adventure, career advancement and financial incentives as engineers are better valued generally in North America than UK.

I work for a multinational company, so I have been presented with job offers at the Regina, Saskatoon, or Fort Mcmurray offices (Salary range $85-95k). My preference is Vancouver but unfortunately there are currently no vacancies there, so I have decided to move to either of the three aforementioned offices first, then relocate to Vancouver after a a year or two. I have heard nothing but good about Canada as a country and how beautiful the sceneries are, but my main worries is the weather (long extremely cold winters, blizzards and thunderstorms). I can tolerate freezing temperatures as long as I get the best of Spring, Autumn, and Summer.

I love being sociable, I consider myself to be adaptable and I am pretty outgoing. I am not into skiing or hiking, I am more of a beach person and I enjoy watching and playing football, basketball, and gymnastics. Ideally I would like to live in a multicultural city with good and affordable living standard (quality of life), where social amenities (Pubs, restaurants, bars, malls, shops, carnivals, festivals, friendly community, indoor football pitches,and basketball courts) are easily accessible, with good summer albeit short, and decent spring and autumn. I am anticipating 5 months of extremely cold winter at worse. I also don't want to live in a city where there is a lot of crimes and guns hence my preference for Canada instead of America.

I have been given 2 weeks to decide and choose a location, I would appreciate all advices, tips and recommendations. I am very excited about the move, but I am also a little apprehensive.

Thanks
I would choose SK, personally.

Just a warning about the possible transfer: they'll say anything to get you over here. It might not be as easy as you have been told to get transferred to Van - lots of people want to do that. These things take time...just be prepared for it to be longer than a year before you're transferred.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:55 am
100% chelsea

sw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud of

Saskatoon.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would choose Saskatoon. http://www.tourismsaskatoon.com/

Then Regina and I personally wouldn't even consider Fort McMurray unless they'd offer triple the amount. $85k won't get you far and it's rough there.

Otherwise have a look if you can find an employer that goes through the LMO process with you and start afresh. And then you could try to go to Vancouver. Would that be an option?

Start a poll ;-)
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatoon, then Regina. I wouldn't even consider Fort McMurray. These are places people move to for family/jobs, rarely for the adventure. Even though they all fall under the moniker of "Canada", Saskatchewan and British Columbia function very much like separate countries. They truly are chalk and cheese. They offer a different lifestyle, climate, geography, history, flora/fauna, demographics, etc. Climate-wise and geography-wise, Saskatchewan is not unlike the Russian steppes/Siberia. What would you tell a Canadian who was seeking "adventure in Europe" if they told you they were willing to settle in Novosibirsk indefinitely for the chance to live/work in the UK?

My recommendation: go in with appropriate expectations. Read up the Wiki article about culture shock. Saskatchewan is not a bad place, but for somebody seeking Vancouver, you may be in for a surprise.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so here we go. I am starting to give up on SK after 24hrs of starting this thread. Additional options are Winnipeg and Lloydminster, I heard Winnipeg is extremely cold. What is the affordability of these places based on the salary range I indicated above?

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

i been on the booze to rg couple of times all ways had fun down there and there is tons of women to meet
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Lloydminster would be a step down from Saskatoon or Regina - smaller and even more isolating. Winnipeg would be a slight step above as it has more of a cultural scene and more history, but you're still thousands of miles from anywhere. These are all cities/towns in the prairies - Lloydminster or Regina, this is really more or less the same. All towns/cities in the "Siberia" of Canada. They all share the same climate and flat (for thousands of miles), prairie landscape.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Winnipeg is flippin' freezing!

It's one of the coldest cities in Canada

But then, we all dress for winter over here ............... lined boots, warm coats/jackets and headgear are the dress of the day.

Everyone wears boots in winter ............ and carries a pair of shoes with them. Arrive at the house, take off your boots inside the front door, put on your shoes, and enjoy the party/dinner.

Sociable? extremely!

I've not been to Fort MacMurray or Lloydminster, but I have been to the 3 others, and spent some time in them.

All are lovely little cities, with a very active social scene, and much culture. Winter is the social scene, summers will be spent out at the nearest lake(s) .............. on the beach, and with water craft around.

and you will find that all the cities are much cleaner than any place you'll have been to in other countries

My choices would be Regina, then Saskatoon, and finally Winnipeg.

Try it ......... don't keep searching for other cities.

You have the job offer, you're 100 times better off than many people wanting to emigrate.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So apart from mountains, the coast, sky train and a more temperate climate what does Vancouver have that Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg dont?

What do the Prairie cities offer that Vancover doesnt?
Affordable housing, smaller city feel, less traffic.
Sure the skiing isnt as great but its there. Ok none of them have direct flights back to the UK but its doable via a host of other cities.
All have their positives and their negatives. For more bang for the buck I would choose the Prairie cites excluding Lloydminster and Fort Mac.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.