Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I've never heard of that.

I thought Canada was mainly famous for being cold.
I presume thats a joke?

When I arrived I was really ready to go back to the UK, everyone was too nice and friendly! It freaked me out! (except for queuing for the sea bus!)

Back on topic for a moment ...

Planning jobs... look to Kelowna, lots going on there at the moment and lots more to come... UBC has just opened a new campus there, expecting the population to be doubled in 3-5 years iirc.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:13 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Have they flounced ?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Out of interest - OP we have noted that you have no post secondary education , however on a previous thread you indicated that your partner is a "Town and City Planner" .
Does she have a planning degree ? Or a similar, say geography, with a post grad planning diploma?
Hi

My partner is a boy :-) and Yes, he has a Bachelors and a Masters.

Sorry for the delay in replies, I have been away :-)
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dan09uk
I am a planner, took me 2 years to get a planning job. I worked at staples for 9 months as a computer technician on just above minimum wage. I left there as it was going no where and interned full time unpaid for 6 months at a local municipality to get more Canadian planning experience.

During my internship I applied for a job with the bc ministry of transportation and infrastructure and got a job as a planning technician.

I am a recent graduate from the UK and was living in Toronto at the time I applied for that job, it is possible to get a job, just a lot harder than in the UK.
Thanks for that - is really good to hear how you got on.

We're both open to doing other work whilst trying to gain employment in what we really want - and this may even lead to us wanting something different who knows.

Working in Staples - if that got me Canadian work experience, I do it. In fact, I'd probably quite enjoy it.

Glad to hear you eventually got the job you wanted to mate.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jennyj83
To the Original Poster:

Don't be put off by negativity, it's easy for people who have already made the jump/got their PR etc to shoot down your dreams.

If you're young (and childless I assume), put your stuff in storage, get a WHV, get over to BC and see what you can cobble together. Life is too short to never take risks.

As a Canadian I can tell you, it's a great country! Try not to have too specific a goal in mind, go with the flow and see what comes your way. If you have the skills/personality and mindset then who knows what could be in the horizon.

And if it all goes tits up, you've got good ol' Blighty to fall back on:-)

Best of luck!
Thank You!!

The IEC has always been an option for us, just not a prefered one. We've been to Canada a lot, just not long enough to actually get a job.

We're both quite happy to do 'other' josb whilst we get PR and find jobs we would prefer. My original post should have probably made it clearer that I was looking for any work, rather than specifics..

There was a lot of, oh I don't know, no-very-nice-ness over the past few weeks, but the forum posts which are being posted now, incl yours are more positive - so thanks very much
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But the OP is a Brit so we are just addressing him as he should expect. I think the OP has been given lots of useful and usable advice on this thread (including yours). However, it seems he doesn't want the advice we have given. He wants someone to fix him up with a job.
Thats not true at all.

Jenny - thanks for your kind words. I have stated in previous posts that we knew all of our immigration options, but WHV was not my prefered. HOWEVER, before anyone jumps on me again... we WILL still be considering it.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sdo1982
I presume thats a joke?

When I arrived I was really ready to go back to the UK, everyone was too nice and friendly! It freaked me out! (except for queuing for the sea bus!)

Back on topic for a moment ...

Planning jobs... look to Kelowna, lots going on there at the moment and lots more to come... UBC has just opened a new campus there, expecting the population to be doubled in 3-5 years iirc.
Thanks for that - we will certainly give it a look :-)

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Have they flounced ?
'Flounced'? That would suggest that I was impatiant or angry. Neither am afraid - just merely been on vacation
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:15 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajster
Hi

My partner is a boy :-) and Yes, he has a Bachelors and a Masters.

Sorry for the delay in replies, I have been away :-)
Ah ok -so you are the chappy on the picture with the resume thingy . . your partner is a planner - got it . . .

Thus looking at this from the perspective of a mother of a gay teen boy I would say Van rather than kelowna- yes the latter is lovely , but a little quiet and not as open and embracing as Van is.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok -so you are the chappy on the picture with the resume thingy . . your partner is a planner - got it . . .

Thus looking at this from the perspective of a mother of a gay teen boy I would say Van rather than kelowna- yes the latter is lovely , but a little quiet and not as open and embracing as Van is.
Vancouver isn't as tolerant as you make out despite it's reputation. UFC was forced to move to Calgary.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Your young man is lucky to have a tolerant mother too :-P
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Vancouver isn't as tolerant as you make out despite it's reputation. UFC was forced to move to Calgary.
UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship??

Were they forced to move because of sexuality or lack of tolerance of their sport?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship??

Were they forced to move because of sexuality or lack of tolerance of their sport?
the latter. Violence was the issue.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Your young man is lucky to have a tolerant mother too :-P
+1
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Oh... Do you feel that making them move was justified?

I don't really know much about it to comment - I thought it was all staged (but I think that is me being naive)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.