Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Originally Posted by Ajster
I'm assuming you mean for straight as well as gay couples by saying this?
Can be gay, straight, or whatever. There should be no necessity for the relationship to be conjugal either - friends should be allowed to do this as should siblings.

All the civil partnership should do is tell the state that your legal and financial affairs are linked for the duration the civil partnership exists. Love, sexual preference, religion etc should be private matters for the individuals concerned and no business of the government or anyone else.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Ok, I see your point.

I guess it's each to their own. Personally, it means quite a lot to me, but then I'm a hopeless romantic :P
Old Jul 9th 2012, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

They are all a ceremony I guess, yes - the difference is in the UK you cant say Gay, Wedding and Marriage in the same sentance.

At least as a gay couple in Canada you can say you have been married and had a great wedding haha.

I'm sure folks do back here, but legally etc - it feels nicer to be allowed to do it properly, and feel equal.
Ok, this is where the argument loses me. What does it matter what it is called, its just a name isn't it? Do you feel any differently about your partner than you imagine a man would about his wife?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Ok, this is where the argument loses me. What does it matter what it is called, its just a name isn't it? Do you feel any differently about your partner than you imagine a man would about his wife?
No, but id prefer it if gay marriage was seen the same as hetrosexual marriage. You could look at it as just being a piece of paper... which it is. But whilst gay marriage is not seen the same and equal to hetrosexual marriage... thats a teeny weeny bit homophobic.

Everyone is equal.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

No, but id prefer it if gay marriage was seen the same as hetrosexual marriage. You could look at it as just being a piece of paper... which it is. But whilst gay marriage is not seen the same and equal to hetrosexual marriage... thats a teeny weeny bit homophobic.

Everyone is equal.
I understand that, in the UK, apart from it being called a marriage, the legal effect is the same. If this is the case, and I accept it may not be, other than the name, how is it not the same and equal?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I understand that, in the UK, apart from it being called a marriage .............................. how is it not the same and equal?
It's not the same and equal if it's not called the same thing. Indeed, it's not called the same thing specifically to make it unequal.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not the same and equal if it's not called the same thing. Indeed, it's not called the same thing specifically to make it unequal.
OK, if it's simply the name, then I accept the OP's objection, I thought there was something more to it than that as I always thought that "a rose by any other name is still a rose" and all that
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is equal.
There's always gonna be bigots about.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There's always gonna be bigots about.
Do you think I'm bigoted because I want to be treated the same as a straight couple?

The rights your given over in the UK are totally different to those the a straight marriage gets..
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:36 pm

Do you think I'm bigoted because I want to be treated the same as a straight couple?
No. That is a reasonable desire.

The rights your given over in the UK are totally different to those the a straight marriage gets..
I don't know what the differences are, but I'll take your word for it. fwiw, I agree with you - they shouldn't be different, that they are is nuts.

I think what I meant was don't come to Canada thinking it's free of homophobia or any other irrational intolerance.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Im aware a gay marriage in Canada is the same as a straight marriage and the same divorce rules also apply.
I believe a lot of people agree or have no opinions that gays should be entitled to the same treatment as a traditional marriage (man/woman) but they object to the term gay marriage. They have no problems with it being called a union or other term just not marriage.
And yes there is homophobia,racism and intolerance in Canada.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

What are the differences?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:03 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

To the op - firstly I don't know of any companies that are hiring with LMO's, however if you look on Job Bank - this is the government job search website that companies that require LMO's have to advertise on, so if you're gonna get one anywhere i'd start there.

Secondly - EPIC thread drift
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
To the op - firstly I don't know of any companies that are hiring with LMO's, however if you look on Job Bank - this is the government job search website that companies that require LMO's have to advertise on, so if you're gonna get one anywhere i'd start there.

Secondly - EPIC thread drift
Thanks - and it so is, right :-)
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No. That is a reasonable desire.

I don't know what the differences are, but I'll take your word for it. fwiw, I agree with you - they shouldn't be different, that they are is nuts.

I think what I meant was don't come to Canada thinking it's free of homophobia or any other irrational intolerance.
Oh don't worry - No where is free from homophobia, racism or other prejudice, we know that - I don't think that will ever happen in any country... Boo!