Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future
Default Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Hello All!

This might be in the wrong area of this site - so I apologise now if it is!

My partner and I are hoping to emigrate to Vancouver, we just love it there and we now have quite a few friends and contacts. We fit in there and when we visit, it kinda already feels like it could be home.

We're in landof limbo at the moment, waiting for the Canadian government to release the 2012/13 list of jobs in demand. We're both well aware that we're going to struggle if our jobs are not listed and therefore have started to look at all our other options... i.e going back to school/uni or getting a job.

Now then lovely Brits - Do any of you know any organizations which are looking to recruit from overseas at they can't fill a job with a Canadian? My partner is an urban planner and I have a wealth of experience in tech and logistics > both with a performance improvement, business development and customer service focus.

I refuse to say that we want to move to Vancouver for better jobs, it's the wrong reason to want to get out of the UK - but the Canadian lifestyle suits us much more - despite it costing at least 20 bucks for a semi decent bottle of wine!!

If any of you know someone that is recruiting, please get in touch - even if you don't but you know somewhere I could look or someone I could call that would be great.

I don't want to start any immigration arguements on here, the last time I visited, I came away feeling like the whole forum was against newbies coming to Canada!

Please be nice to me - I'm a great guy, and will be an asset to Canada!!!

Now all hit reply and help me
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Have you tried contacting Tim Hortons? Most Canadians dont want to work for them or maybe Canadian Tire or Walmart?

Seriously though if job is not on the new list then it may turn out to be a bit of a struggle.
Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Thanks for that - I will look into Tim Hortons - but I doubt very much that they have a head office in Vancouver.

With regards to making coffee and selling donuts? Beggers Can't be chosers, but I don't think I could live on 10 bucks an hour.

Thanks for your reply!!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajster
Thanks for that - I will look into Tim Hortons - but I doubt very much that they have a head office in Vancouver.

With regards to making coffee and selling donuts? Beggers Can't be chosers, but I don't think I could live on 10 bucks an hour.

Thanks for your reply!!
MacDonalds also does LMOs for low skilled workers.

Urban planner? Forget it. Your partner will be up against the locals for the minuscule amount of urban planner jobs here. It's very competitive to get into. Ask 4 Bells.

Are you under 30? could you come on a WHV?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

If you look at our resumes - neither of us can be classed as low-skilled. Not even in the eyes of Canadian authorities.

Yep, we're both under 30 - but seems the govt are getting more strict on applying for a second year extension, so a little concerned over getting kicked out after 12 months - we're talking moving our life rather a year or two out.

I'm surprised that you said that about urban planning - we've met with City Hall a few times that think there is some exciting stuff ahead for Vancouver. Whilst Mark is an Urban planner in the UK, he's qualified in other aspects. Translink like planners, but refuse to recruit from overseas, even when they are stuck!

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:49 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at our resumes - neither of us can be classed as low-skilled. Not even in the eyes of Canadian authorities.

Yep, we're both under 30 - but seems the govt are getting more strict on applying for a second year extension, so a little concerned over getting kicked out after 12 months - we're talking moving our life rather a year or two out.

I'm surprised that you said that about urban planning - we've met with City Hall a few times that think there is some exciting stuff ahead for Vancouver. Whilst Mark is an Urban planner in the UK, he's qualified in other aspects. Translink like planners, but refuse to recruit from overseas, even when they are stuck!
Sooo, basically you're confirming what I just said.

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:49 pm

I really don't understand why you wouldn't just come on a WHV....
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Not really no... They need planners, but can't find good enough ones from Canada.

Should we already be in Canada, then Mark would likely have a chance. More of a corporate decision to only recruit from within Canada, or those who have PR.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

You come on a WHV - don't get sponsored and then get kicked out. That's why.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at our resumes - neither of us can be classed as low-skilled. Not even in the eyes of Canadian authorities.Yep, we're both under 30 - but seems the govt are getting more strict on applying for a second year extension, so a little concerned over getting kicked out after 12 months - we're talking moving our life rather a year or two out.

That sound you hear is the reality express. And it's coming right around the corner. You may be supremely qualified in what you do in the UK. Often that counts for naught in Canada. You don't have Canadian qualifications or Canadian experience see? There are execptions of course and my experiences have certainly be different but then I'm not in Vancouver. As a rule and a mentality, I fear it's the case.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

In that case - who are the 10,000 skilled persons being recruited in only 2 or 3 months every year going?

and re Canadian qualifications, My partner is a member of the Canadian version of the RTPI.

Yes, we know it's hard - hence why I was asking if anyone knew of anyone that is currently recruiting.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

People actually plan the urban sprawl around Vancouver? I'm genuinely shocked.

In all seriousness, my good friend does that and works out in Langley. He was saying last night how he's had a busy week interviewing a ton of people to join his team. Sounds like there's lots of competition already, so not having PR you'd struggle to even get a toe in the door i would imagine.

I'm not sure about Tech or Logistics though.

Personally, i agree with the WHV route. At least that way you can come here, work and enjoy Vancouver, and use it to interview for other work that might lead to a longer term work permit then on to PR.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
People actually plan the urban sprawl around Vancouver? I'm genuinely shocked.

In all seriousness, my good friend does that and works out in Langley. He was saying last night how he's had a busy week interviewing a ton of people to join his team. Sounds like there's lots of competition already, so not having PR you'd struggle to even get a toe in the door i would imagine.

I'm not sure about Tech or Logistics though.

Personally, i agree with the WHV route. At least that way you can come here, work and enjoy Vancouver, and use it to interview for other work that might lead to a longer term work permit then on to PR.
That's the thing ...you don't necessarily get kicked out when your WHV runs out. You have a great opportunity to find a willing employer for a YEAR...seems like no- brainer to me?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:04 pm

Not really no... They need planners, but can't find good enough ones from Canada.

Should we already be in Canada, then Mark would likely have a chance. More of a corporate decision to only recruit from within Canada, or those who have PR.
Or, they know full well they wouldn't get an LMO. You may not want to hear this but there's no shortage of urban planners over here.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:07 pm

In that case - who are the 10,000 skilled persons being recruited in only 2 or 3 months every year going?and re Canadian qualifications, My partner is a member of the Canadian version of the RTPI.

Yes, we know it's hard - hence why I was asking if anyone knew of anyone that is currently recruiting.
And here's the other issue.

You want to go to Vancouver, like lots of people. You want to work in urban planning in Vancouver, again like lots of people. I really recommend you chat to 4 bells, who was an urban planner in London, UK, and now lives in Van, about the reality here if you don't beleive me.

You may have more chance if you were willing to go to where there are true labour shortages...Alberta, far north BC (Tumbler Ridge, Fort St John, etc are crying out for workers) Saskatoon, etc. But they aren't Vancouver which is part of why they struggle to attract them. How flexible are you willing to be to get PR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.