Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Thats a shame, ull get there in the end, good luck!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough

Do you have to travel to Canada for the first part of the exam?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

soetpeel is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading these nursing posts for some time and seen others progress along the application line. Great that so many have had successful experiences & know that there is support out there from those who have gone through the whole process.

It has taken me over a year & a half to get registered with BC ( only because I needed to get transcripts from the South African Nursing Council which took months & months - lost forms and completed ones being sent to Winnipeg?!)but now need to write the exam in October. Worried about passing that first before selling up etc.

Wondered if anyone had a recent Canadian nursing study book that they had finished with that they wanted to sell? Is anyone else writing in Toronto in Oct? Hope to be in BC by early next year.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

Hi Soetpeel,

I've sent you a private message about my wife's nursing study book that she no longer needs. Let me know if you're interested.

Nick.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi if soetpeel dosn't want the book i would be really interested as when looking online it would cost me about $400 including getting it shipped to UK!!

Thanks Anna
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:48 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Does anyone know how straight forward getting registered in BC will be if your a newly qualified RMN (UK registered mental health nurse) the BC equal being RPN (registered psychiatric nurse)

This is based on already having PR status (if that makes any difference?)

Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nick

Thanks for message but "The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts." so sorry couldn't read it. Is it the current edition of Lippincott's CRNE Prep Guide. Thanks
Sonya
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Nick
Thanks for message - by posting I got into the private message section. Great your wife passed. I have that copy - looking for Nov 08 edition. For anyone else looking there are new copies available on Amazon approx £35 from UK
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing more and more have to do the SEC especially if from the Philippines but we have had a few post on here saying they have to do it and they trained in the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

scott&jay is a jewel in the roughscott&jay is a jewel in the roughscott&jay is a jewel in the roughscott&jay is a jewel in the rough

Great idea Cathy

I have been here almost 3 years now and am a manager with Providence Health Care in Vancouver. I am more than happy for any UK nurses to contact me for information and advice as, having been through the process and now helping my own UK recruits settle, I understand the stress/excitement/questions.

Scott
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Abster21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions on here to get an idea of how likely it is that me & my family will be able to move over to Canada on a pr visa as we have a couple of concerns.

Firstly my mum is a senior staff nurse with 20 years experience as well as experience in midwifery, but she is 50yrs old, will her age be a big problem with finding a job?

Secondly I am 22 this year and in my last year of university, i hope to do a masters in canada, will i be able to go on my mum's visa as i am still classed as a dependent?

Thank you for all of your replies, I will show this threat to my mum so she can ask better questions!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

natty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hannah100
Hi

Have just had a letter from CRNBC saying I have to have a SEC assessment in General (medical/surgical nursing) before my application can be assessed. Has anyone else had to have one of these assessments? Also assessment can only be completed in canada. Does anyone know any airlines that do really cheap flights to vancouver (haven't budgeted for an extra trip to canada).

Thanks

Hannah
Hi Hannah,

just wondering how long its taken from you getting letter/email to say that they are processing your application to this point?? Im flying out to Vancouver Island in 6ish weeks, have had the email to say that they have started processing my application and will hear within 9-10 weeks......deep down hoping this is sooner as I want to meet up with a connection I have made at Vancouver Island Health Authority! eeek!!
I have heard about the assessments that they are asking off some people.......have they given you a time scale in which you have to complete it? I work as a junior sister in medicine and starting to get a little worried that I might have to do a surgical assessment!
Cheap flights, I use Canadian affair ......not the most comfortable but cheaper!
natalie xx
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

canuckbean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys-try the website Nurse Vancouver-it's the one I went through and it links up with the 5 health authorities in Vancouver for jobs - re CRNBC - Having spoken to Canadian nurses,BC is notoriously laborious in it's registration process even for qualified canadian RNs from different provinces,so don't take it personally!
We came over on the TWP as Fraser health offer provincial nomination after your 3 month probationary period-we're planning to apply for ours soon & we've been here 9 months-it gives you time to decide if you actually want to stay in Canada once you've got here!
If you get any time before you arrive-ie the lull in between waiting for bit of paper-go onto the Canadian nurses association and get the CRNE prep guide-it's about 70 pounds but trust me flicking through it will give you an idea which areas you're rusty in-then you can order 2nd hand text books from Amazon(uk or ca)for lot less!
We came over to Chilliwack (BC) in November with the pennies we saved(we had no house to sell),2 kids in tow and it wasour first time in Canada-no matter how much preparation you do,it's never the same as living somewhere-but we're still alive and kicking despites highs and lows!
Oh as a post script-if any nurses out there have partners who are HCAs-we had to badger the health authority to let him work,despite being told he could do so prior to us leaving the UK -once we arrived we were told he'd have to do a course (costing $6,000 and for which you have to be permanent residents!)-get every piece of paper work and references you can together-finally we were told that his 15 years experience would count after many e-mails and much badgering-any job out here has a course they like you to have-many nurse"s partners have found it tough finding work in their field.There are ways round this you might just have to be prepared to try a number of option!
BUT IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Hannah100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by natty13
Hi Hannah,

just wondering how long its taken from you getting letter/email to say that they are processing your application to this point?? Im flying out to Vancouver Island in 6ish weeks, have had the email to say that they have started processing my application and will hear within 9-10 weeks......deep down hoping this is sooner as I want to meet up with a connection I have made at Vancouver Island Health Authority! eeek!!
I have heard about the assessments that they are asking off some people.......have they given you a time scale in which you have to complete it? I work as a junior sister in medicine and starting to get a little worried that I might have to do a surgical assessment!
Cheap flights, I use Canadian affair ......not the most comfortable but cheaper!
natalie xx

Hi Natalie

I got the email saying they had recieved my application and were processing it on 29th July and recieved the letter on Monday (17th Aug) to say I had to do the SEC Assessment. Have been in touch with the person who books the SEC Assessments and they are now taking bookings for November. You have 1 year to complete the SEC assessment from recieving the letter. I imagine being a junior sister and presumably having several years experience you should be fine. I only qualified 2 years ago (in September) and have only worked in A&E since then so suppose have limited experience.

I'm now having second thoughts as to whether to continue with my application...I am only planning on going to canada for a year (for the experience and to travel, with an open mind of staying if I love it) and although I knew it would be expensive due to the exam, etc, having to the SEC assessment has made it a lot more expensive. So can't really decide what to do to be honest...either stick with canada or looking into australia or new zealand

Hannah
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

In Alberta they are cutting beds, shutting hospital laundries - British and foreign
nurses who came over just last year are not being given permanent positions. Don't know what it's like in BC, but do your research.

Like I said, this time last year in Alberta they were recruiting nurses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.