Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Old May 14th 2009, 3:10 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Originally Posted by dplumber05
Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum, I myself is a nurse and just waiting for my twp approval from the cic. I would like to ask anyone whats is like working there as a nurse, and I'm planning to live in richmond area. is it ok to live in richomd? how about education for my children ages 3 and 10.
thanks for anyone who replies.
I don't know anything about nursing but I have worked in Richmond for eight of the last ten years so I do know the city quite well.

The first thing that will strike you about Richmond is that it is very flat. It is actually an island in the Fraser River delta and most of it is at or below sea level. It is protected by a series of dikes (which also make for plesant strolls and bike rides). Some say that if a monster 'quake hits the area Richmond will suffer because it is not built on bedrock. IMO life is too short to worry about stuff like that.

The second thing you will notice about Richmond is that is is ethnically very diverse. There is a particular large Hong Kong Chinese population - people who emigrated to Canada before Hong Kong reverted to China in the 90s. In one area, known as Asia West, there is a stupefying collection of Chinese malls, stores, restaurants and services. Elsewhere, Richmond is served by all the usual Canadian stores and services.

Schools are generally good. Some have quite a high number of pupils for whom English is a second language. Some British Expats may think this is not a good thing. I disagree. In fact, one of the better things about being in school in Metro Vancouver is exposure to many people from many different cultures.

Housing ranges from apartments to multi-million dollar mansions. North and East Richmond is more industrial, central and southern is agricultural. Most housing is to the west. There is not really a bad area and it is generally very safe. If I were to live in Richmond I would probably choose Steveston. This is the fishing village in the south west of the city. It can be a little touristy in the summer but is a lovely relaxed, laid back sort of place with an attractive river front.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:35 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at Lionsgate Hospital in North Van for anyone coming that way, feel free to contact me with any questions
Terese
Old May 14th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

Originally Posted by dplumber05
Hi Folks

I'm new to this forum, I myself is a nurse and just waiting for my twp approval from the cic. I would like to ask anyone whats is like working there as a nurse, and I'm planning to live in richmond area. is it ok to live in richomd? how about education for my children ages 3 and 10.
thanks for anyone who replies.
Hello. I have been in Richmond for just over a year and work as a community nurse based at Richmond hospital. I live in a small community called Burkeville which is on the airport island. The most popular area is Steveston which has been mentioned before. There are a few area's I would stay away from but on the hole it is very safe, I have never felt threatened when out and about in the evenings. If you want to know more about the schools I can find out from colleagues with small children. Please feel free to ask me questions. Will you be working in Richmond?

Karen
Old May 14th 2009, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

AandT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My wife Alison is a nurse who is (hopefully) coming to work at St Pauls this September, with me and the kids also in tow! (I say hopefully because we still don't have the TWP application approved, despite Alison having her medical in February!, St Pauls were at one point trying to get her to bring her start date forward, I guess not now).

We were looking at North Vancouver and are coming out on a recce trip next weekend to look around - we have visited Vancouver a couple of times before, but only as visitors. Good schools are important to us, our boys are 10 and 8 and we are outdoor types, hence the appeal of the North Shore. We would appreciate any info that anyone could add on things like schools, neighbourhoods etc, and we will give feedback on what we find on our trip.

Tony
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am a newly qualified Adult Nurse (7months) and want to immigrate to Bc, vancouver island preferably in about a year if all goes well with our application.
Does anybody work on vancouver island?
I currently work on a medical assessment unit but am thinking of going to A+E once ive been qualified 18months.

Is there any advice anyone can give me about getting a job? Sitting the CRNE exam?

Anything will help!

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

I work for Vancouver Coastal Health, they have a web site which is worth looking at. You will need to contact the CRNBC about sitting the registration exam, these are sat 3 times a year, Feb, June and Oct. Hope this is a start for you.......
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

debzf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Are there any renal/dialysis nurses out there? My initial application with CRNBC has been approved and I am at the looking for a job stage. Nurse Vancouver have my C.V. and we are visiting for 2 weeks at the end of August. Any advice or information about the best way of getting a job would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Hannah100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debzf
Hi

Are there any renal/dialysis nurses out there? My initial application with CRNBC has been approved and I am at the looking for a job stage. Nurse Vancouver have my C.V. and we are visiting for 2 weeks at the end of August. Any advice or information about the best way of getting a job would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Hey

How long did you have to wait between sending your application forms off to CBNBC and having your application approved:? I sent mine off in the middle of june and am just waiting for it to be approved. I have been in contact with a recruitment advisor from Vancouver Coastal Health and am just waiting to hear from CRNBC before I can do anything else.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hannah100
Hey

How long did you have to wait between sending your application forms off to CBNBC and having your application approved:? I sent mine off in the middle of june and am just waiting for it to be approved. I have been in contact with a recruitment advisor from Vancouver Coastal Health and am just waiting to hear from CRNBC before I can do anything else.

Thanks
Hi Hannah100

It took about 6 months! Probably would have been shorter but there was some stuff out-standing that I had to chase up. What type of nursing do you do and whereabouts are you hoping to work?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by debzf
Hi Hannah100

It took about 6 months! Probably would have been shorter but there was some stuff out-standing that I had to chase up. What type of nursing do you do and whereabouts are you hoping to work?
Hi.

Currently I'm a A&E nurse so I'm hoping I can get a job in an Emergency department in Vancouver. Am hoping to get a job in a big hospital in mainland vancouver possibly around the downtown area. I'm going to be going out there on my own initially for 9 months but with a possibility of staying longer. I was hoping to have everything sorted to go out there in January (in time for winter olympics) but think I'll be pushing it a little bit Did you have any problems getting registration? I'm a bit concerned that I did very little maternity care stuff in my training and that I'm not going to be eligible.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hannah100
Hi.

Currently I'm a A&E nurse so I'm hoping I can get a job in an Emergency department in Vancouver. Am hoping to get a job in a big hospital in mainland vancouver possibly around the downtown area. I'm going to be going out there on my own initially for 9 months but with a possibility of staying longer. I was hoping to have everything sorted to go out there in January (in time for winter olympics) but think I'll be pushing it a little bit Did you have any problems getting registration? I'm a bit concerned that I did very little maternity care stuff in my training and that I'm not going to be eligible.
Trained in the traditional way 1987-1990, nursing school no longer exists so had to apply to NMC for my transcripts but it all went through relatively easily!! The problem I am having now is that all the dialysis jobs I have seen advertised are either part-time or casual and I need full-time for a TWP!!

Good luck with your application and let me know how you get on.

D
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Have just had a letter from CRNBC saying I have to have a SEC assessment in General (medical/surgical nursing) before my application can be assessed. Has anyone else had to have one of these assessments? Also assessment can only be completed in canada. Does anyone know any airlines that do really cheap flights to vancouver (haven't budgeted for an extra trip to canada).

Thanks

Hannah
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough

Hi my flights were reasonable with air transit/Canadian affair.

Is this normal procedure? Having to go over to sit a part of the exam?

Louise
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

Apparently its a fairly new thing to help CRNBC to 'determine your ability to meet entry-level nursing competencies in BC'. Don't think everyone has to have one depends on individual applications. I think I probably have to have one because I've only been qualified 2 years although could be wrong. Am a bit gutted that I have to have one was hoping to have everything sorted to move by January....don't think thats going to happen now.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

This must be the new assessment my boss told me about due to many failing the registration exam. Will make it expensive for potential nurses which is not good for recruitment.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.