Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Hannah100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses coming to Lower Mainland BC

Originally Posted by natty13
hey Hannah!

I only qualified 4.5 years ago and all my experience in nursing has been medical based....i have worked hard to get up the ladder so fast, just hope that I go through without any problems!
I'm looking at going to Canada as I have family there, I can see how it can put people off who are going over there for different reasons.....especially with the costs of doing it! Guess though you have come this far I would be tempted to keep going and follow the Canada route?
natalie xx

Hi Natalie.

I think I'm going to continue down the Canada route. Have contacted the regruitment advisor at Vancouver Coastal Health who I have been in contact with to check what the chances of me getting a job will and if theres a good chance of a job I'll go over to do the SEC Assessment.

Let me know how you get on with your application.

Hannah
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

natty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nicenatty13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hannah100
Hi Natalie.

I think I'm going to continue down the Canada route. Have contacted the regruitment advisor at Vancouver Coastal Health who I have been in contact with to check what the chances of me getting a job will and if theres a good chance of a job I'll go over to do the SEC Assessment.

Let me know how you get on with your application.

Hannah
sooo glad that you have decided to continue!! keep in touch!! xxxx
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what they have been asked in telephone interview in Canada. I have a telephone interview sometime this week for the emergency room at Vancouver General Hospital. The email I recieved said it would be a panal interview lasting about 60 mins. Was just wondering what I should read up on?

Thanks

Hannah
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

canuckbean is an unknown quantity at this point

I got asked questions about my area /some scenarios about recovery- a lot less stressful than my initial informal interview with Fraser health!I got offered the job at the start of the interview!
Hannah x
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:54 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what they have been asked in telephone interview in Canada. I have a telephone interview sometime this week for the emergency room at Vancouver General Hospital. The email I recieved said it would be a panal interview lasting about 60 mins. Was just wondering what I should read up on?

Thanks

Hannah
I'm in icu so it was icu based , what do I do with patient in asystole, what do I do with a patient with arterial pressure 70/40, what do i do with patient of oxygen saturations of 80%, what would I do with patient in vt, what would I do with member of staff being bullied, asked what experience I had strengths and weaknesses why did I want to move to canada.
I arranged notes all around me with my cv and my application so I knew the fine detail. make sure you give them time to write things down and be prepared for silences.. thats when they write their notes so don't be tempted to talk over them . It was a nice basic interview for me, hope yours is the same.
good luck
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

debzf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thought I would let you know that I have been offered a job on the haemodialysis unit at St. Pauls in Vancouver! Interview on the last day of a 2 week recce - no better way to end a fab holiday!!

Had a few wobbles since we got home mind you but hopefully back on track now!

Wondered if anyone has any info on what its like to work at St. Pauls and places to live in commuting distance using public transport?

Thanks

Deb
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debzf
Hi all

Thought I would let you know that I have been offered a job on the haemodialysis unit at St. Pauls in Vancouver! Interview on the last day of a 2 week recce - no better way to end a fab holiday!!

Wondered if anyone has any info on what its like to work at St. Pauls
I am sure Yoong works in St Paul's so you could PM her.

and places to live in commuting distance using public transport?

Thanks

Deb
I don't know if you have family with you, but if an apartment will work for you then the West End has a lot of rental units and it is mostly walking distance from St Paul's.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

My wife works at St. Pauls and we live in the West End near English Bay. <10mins walk to work for her and we love being near the beach.

Yaletown is another downtown district, more expensive though. Kitsilano is very nice, a bit further away to the south but is also convenient by bus/car/bike.

All of these are downtown areas, so you don't get much for your money. If you want lots of space and a big house, you'll probably have to commute in. The SkyTrain is very conveniently located at Burrard St about 5mins walk from the hospital but you should expect very crowded trains at rush hour.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:41 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Are they still taking on Nurses in B.C?

The news is full of talk of layoffs here in Alberta. Lots on Expat nurses who came over last year weren't given permenant positions so they will not even need to be laid off - Alberta just will not renew theit contracts. Nice move Alberta!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debzf
Hi all

Wondered if anyone has any info on what its like to work at St. Pauls and places to live in commuting distance using public transport?

Thanks

Deb
Congrats,you will like working at St.Paul's.From time to time we do have
a patient who needed haemodialysis and the staff there from my observation
had close liaisons with their patients and their families.Our mental health
patients who have had dialysis spoke highly of the renal team at SPH.

Good education support ,free CRNE workshops and discount on transit pass offered by SPH.After orientation,you can apply for the employer transit pass and register for free courses ie CRNE workshops.
Yoong

Last edited by Yoong; Sep 14th 2009 at 10:23 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
Are they still taking on Nurses in B.C?

The news is full of talk of layoffs here in Alberta. Lots on Expat nurses who came over last year weren't given permenant positions so they will not even need to be laid off - Alberta just will not renew theit contracts. Nice move Alberta!
In mental health there are newly hired nurses who had just written their exams and are already given fulltime positions.Very busy and stressful summer-having to do orientation and mentorship for the newbies.
Yoong

Last edited by Yoong; Sep 14th 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:20 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nichburton
My wife works at St. Pauls and we live in the West End near English Bay. <10mins walk to work for her and we love being near the beach.

Yaletown is another downtown district, more expensive though. Kitsilano is very nice, a bit further away to the south but is also convenient by bus/car/bike.

All of these are downtown areas, so you don't get much for your money. If you want lots of space and a big house, you'll probably have to commute in. The SkyTrain is very conveniently located at Burrard St about 5mins walk from the hospital but you should expect very crowded trains at rush hour.
My OH works opposite St Pauls at a private clinc - we live in Kits, very quick commute - she usually walks home - lots of transit.

I've lived in English bay before and like it there too.

Check out this previous thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=630085&page=2
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

ScottandJay also works at St.Pauls. He also lives downtown and he would provide you with more info I am sure
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Hey.

I've just got a job at Vancouver General Hospital in the emergency department (depending on visas and registration, etc) and was wondering where the best places to live within walking distance or public transport are near there.

Also I have to come over to Vancouver in December to do a SEC Assessment for my registration and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for decent but fairly cheap hotels preferably in the downtown area but near public transport links to get to Surrey (thats where I have to go for the assessment).

Thanks

Hannah
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey.

I've just got a job at Vancouver General Hospital in the emergency department (depending on visas and registration, etc) and was wondering where the best places to live within walking distance or public transport are near there.

Also I have to come over to Vancouver in December to do a SEC Assessment for my registration and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for decent but fairly cheap hotels preferably in the downtown area but near public transport links to get to Surrey (thats where I have to go for the assessment).

Thanks

Hannah
Stay in the YWCA ,reasonable ,clean ,near Stadium Skytrain Station and is in downtown Van.Whereabout in Surrey is the assessment going to be held?

Yoong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.