Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:41 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default Re: NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Originally Posted by Snort
Hi Rubie: We made the Move to NS last Feb and have just passed our 1 year anniversary in our new house. If there is anything we can help you with PM me and ill give you phone numbers, and email details. It is difficult with children, I take it like us you want a better life for your family, if thats so the way we chose our home was to base it on the catchment area for the best schools.

At the time we moved here there were two in contention, CP Allen is the Bedford High School, and Lockview is the Fall River area High School. We chose CP Allen as it has the Best reputation of all of the high schools in the HRM. My 18 year old daughter is going there at the moment and to be honest we made the right choice, she has thrived, (She has a lead role in the high school musical coming soon (Mrs Potts) in Beauty and the Beast)

Any way you should be aware that some schools have a very poor reputation, PM me or call and Ill let you know.

Mike and Orla would be good for you to talk to as well
Thanks for your help with the schools - you may be sorry you offered once I have had chance to research properly.

You're right in that we will have to decide where to settle around schooling just as much as work, so more to consider - nice name by the way!

Thanks again.

Rubie
x
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:49 am

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Hi Rubie

you will be there when we are there we are flying out on 21st May and coming back on 2 June (If AirCanada don't change the flights again:curse:.....likewise a recce trip......My wife, I and our two girls aged 9 and 5.

We hope to stay on the coast somewhere in Colchester County as we too are going to see Margot....but might pop down to Halifax to have a look round...

I can empathise with all your worries...we have them too........too much to do and not really enough time.....

if you want to swap war stories here I am

Dean
Hi Dean

Good luck on your recce I think Margot is going to have a busy couple of weeks!!

More than willing to swap war stories as you call them, though I'm finding it hard just finding time to research properly at the mo. I'm taking the day off work tomorrow to start things rolling. As wbexpat says - don't leave it until the last minute!!

Looks like you'll be staying on a bit longer than us, though we're going a week earlier. Hope the weather's nice for us all.

Rubie

x
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me invading your thread but just wanted to say that all the replies to your original post have been so helpful to me.

The names people have suggested at RDA's, the good reptuation schools, which for us and probably most people is one of the most important things and definitely one of the reasons why we want to move.

Would you mind if I ask how long you have been planning your reccie already? I have been doing a bit of basic research, well probably not that basic because I feel like I have been glued to this website for the last two weeks! However, before we take things any further I feel like I need to visit NS. I was thinking of doing this end May/beg June but then I just wonder if this is a little early. I was also thinking about going without the kids, which would be a killer (2 girls ages 7 and 9), but really so we can cram as much in as we possibly can without them moaning that they are been dragged around from place to place. We would only go for a week so we would definitely have to make the best use of our time. We have spoken to the kids about going on our own and whilst we don't make a habit of it they seem to be quite happy about it, once we explained what the trip would involve!

Also I have seen Margot's name mentioned so much on this forum I was just wondering how you approached her and how you assure her (or any RDA for that matter) the committment you want to show them if you want to go through the community identified route?

Hubby and I are going to look at approaching people about jobs so that we can try and arrange meetings when we do finally get something booked. I'm not sure whether financially we're going to be able to do this but ideally I would love to not get a job at the start (only me though, hubby would def have to work), just so that I can make sure the kids are settled in and I can maybe do some voluntary work with the community, just to help integrate a little better.

It is so reassuring to hear that people are of similar mind. I mean the excited and confidence in what you are doing to almost stopping in your tracks thinking is this the right thing to do. Both me and my husband are leaving (fairly) secure good jobs, and sometimes I just think are we mad, but then I keep saying if we don't try we'll never know.

Nic
Hi Nic

I empathise with you completely - I couldn't sleep the other night just because I was worrying about all the organising for our trip and then wondering what on earth I was doing!! Why would I give up a good job, uproot the kids etc etc to move somewhere thousands of miles away. Like you though, I then swing to thinking well if I don't do it, the itch will always be there wanting to be scratched. I have been going on about it for years but never really did anything about it. Then I got fed up of listening to myself and decided to do some proper research.

I have actually been planning a recce for about 12 months but finally got around to booking for May. Did you mean May/June was too early for a recce as in too early in the year, or too early in your plans? For us we wanted to go as soon as possible, as soon as finances would permit, when the weather would be so so and avoiding my daughters exams - so May it was.

I have been in touch with Margot for over a year by email - not continually but a quick email now and then with questions. She is really helpful. If you look up colchester RDA and search for her name you will find her contact details. I initially emailed her saying I'd heard she was the person to contact re possible emigration routes and would be grateful for her help with a few questions and she has been more than helpful as many have already said on this site. We are hoping to speak to her about the various routes when we meet with her though I have already asked her loads of questions my email.

I know what you mean about deciding whether to take the kids or not. We also had this struggle but decided to take them and make it part holiday as it was such a life changing decision we wanted them to be there with us, though ours are older than yours - also, we thought if we went and decided it wasn't for us, we would feel really guilty for having gone to Canada without them

It made me smile when you said you had been glued to this site for over 2 weeks - be prepared to be addicted and to get withdrawal symptoms if you don't visit the site in two days. That's me - I need to go to BE anonymous especially now I have our trip booked, people are so helpful on this site.

If there is anything else I can help with please ask away.

Good luck with your research and your trip if you go ahead and book. Please keep us updated with your progress .

Rubie

x
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rubie
Hi Nic

I empathise with you completely - I couldn't sleep the other night just because I was worrying about all the organising for our trip and then wondering what on earth I was doing!! Why would I give up a good job, uproot the kids etc etc to move somewhere thousands of miles away. Like you though, I then swing to thinking well if I don't do it, the itch will always be there wanting to be scratched. I have been going on about it for years but never really did anything about it. Then I got fed up of listening to myself and decided to do some proper research.

I have actually been planning a recce for about 12 months but finally got around to booking for May. Did you mean May/June was too early for a recce as in too early in the year, or too early in your plans? For us we wanted to go as soon as possible, as soon as finances would permit, when the weather would be so so and avoiding my daughters exams - so May it was.

I have been in touch with Margot for over a year by email - not continually but a quick email now and then with questions. She is really helpful. If you look up colchester RDA and search for her name you will find her contact details. I initially emailed her saying I'd heard she was the person to contact re possible emigration routes and would be grateful for her help with a few questions and she has been more than helpful as many have already said on this site. We are hoping to speak to her about the various routes when we meet with her though I have already asked her loads of questions my email.

I know what you mean about deciding whether to take the kids or not. We also had this struggle but decided to take them and make it part holiday as it was such a life changing decision we wanted them to be there with us, though ours are older than yours - also, we thought if we went and decided it wasn't for us, we would feel really guilty for having gone to Canada without them

It made me smile when you said you had been glued to this site for over 2 weeks - be prepared to be addicted and to get withdrawal symptoms if you don't visit the site in two days. That's me - I need to go to BE anonymous especially now I have our trip booked, people are so helpful on this site.

If there is anything else I can help with please ask away.

Good luck with your research and your trip if you go ahead and book. Please keep us updated with your progress .

Rubie

x
Hi Rubie,

Thanks very much for you kind comments, it really means a lot.

What is so bizzare is that your situation sounds exactly like ours. We initially said we'd love to live in Canada after visiting The Rockies in 1999 and 10 years later we're still saying it. Like you i'm sick of hearing myself say I wish I could live there that takes us to where we are now and are determined to make a go of it. I have spoken to the kids about it because I knew if I mentioned it and they dismissed it straight away, even though they are only 7 and 9, it probably would have put me off going if it was going to disrupt them so much, but as luck would have it they're all for it!

When I said is it too early to go for a reccie trip I did mean too early in our research but I suppose you can do all the research in the world but if you don't warm to a place when you're there then I would feel like it had all been in vain, I suppose that is why I am tempted to go without the kids because we are at the early stages of the research I can definitely foresee more trips ahead. I don't know I'm completely torn, but then again, that isn't a feeling that is new either. We originally started our search in BC and was all set in going there until I had read so many threads and people just rave about NS and it sounds so appealing. We are wanting to go to have better, quality family time. My hubby works evenings, I work full time during the day so the only days we get to spend as a family is sat and sun, I have reached the point where I don't want that any more. I want us to be able to go for walks in an evening, have bbq's on those lovely summer nights, even split the homework!! NS seems to have the balance just right and is able to offer the things we need.

I am more than willing to integrate to any community in any way I can, whether that be helping in out in schools (although I'm not sure they do that in Canada, I know they have volunteers at the schools my daughters' go to now), doing voluntary work, anything to make settling in better for us all.

Having said that I enjoy making new friends and that is another thing about NS, everyone says the people are so friendly, so is just sounds up my street.

I hope you have a fabulous time on your trip and you get out of it everything that you will need, you will probably find a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders once you get back, you'll definitely be in a better position than you are now, so that has got to be good.

Are you job hunting whilst you are there? Crikey, everything seems so daunting doesn't it but I bet you find when you are there things will fall into place easier than what you think. Where are you staying when you go over? It might be a good idea to try and meet up with fellow BE's whilst your there, there certainly seems like there are a lot of people willing to help out.

Like I said I hope you have a fab trip and it would be great to keep in touch.

Nic xx
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:42 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rubie,

Thanks very much for you kind comments, it really means a lot.

What is so bizzare is that your situation sounds exactly like ours. We initially said we'd love to live in Canada after visiting The Rockies in 1999 and 10 years later we're still saying it. Like you i'm sick of hearing myself say I wish I could live there that takes us to where we are now and are determined to make a go of it. I have spoken to the kids about it because I knew if I mentioned it and they dismissed it straight away, even though they are only 7 and 9, it probably would have put me off going if it was going to disrupt them so much, but as luck would have it they're all for it!

When I said is it too early to go for a reccie trip I did mean too early in our research obut I suppose you can do all the research in the world but if you don't warm to a place when thyou're ere then I would feel like it had all been in vain, I suppose that is why I am tempted to go without the kids because we are at the early stages of the research I can definitely foresee more trips ahead. don't knw I'm completely torn, but then again, that isn't a feeling that is new either. We originally started our search in BC and was all set in going there until I had read so many threads and people just rave about NS and it sounds so appealing. We are wanting to go to have better, quality family time. My hubby works evenings, I work full time during the day so the only days we get to spend as a family is sat and sun, I have reached the point where I don't want that any more. I want us to be able to go for walks in an evening, have bbq's on those lovely summer nights, even split the homework!! NS seems to have the balance just right and is able to offer the things we need.

I am more than willing to integrate to any community in any way I can, whether that be helping in out in schools (although I'm not sure they do that in Canada, I know they have volunteers at the schools my daughters' go to now), doing voluntary work, anything to make settling in better for us all.

Having said that I enjoy making new friends and that is another thing about NS, everyone says the people are so friendly, so is just sounds up my street.

I hope you have a fabulous time on your trip and you get out of it everything that you will need, you will probably find a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders once you get back, you'll definitely be in a better position than you are now, so that has got to be good.

Are you job hunting whilst you are there? Crikey, everything seems so daunting doesn't it but I bet you find when you are there things will fall into place easier than what you think. Where are you staying when you go over? It might be a good idea to try and meet up with fellow BE's whilst your there, there certainly seems like there are a lot of people willing to help out.

Nic xx
I can remember reaching a point last year at the point of booking our recce, where it was a case of feeling we have researched everything we can on line and we are not going to know if its for us or not until we actually go and see it for ourselves We felt we needed to go and visit to move on to the next stage

I think we reached this point after about 2 mths of solid daily internet research
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I can remember reaching a point last year at the point of booking our recce, where it was a case of feeling we have researched everything we can on line and we are not going to know if its for us or not until we actually go and see it for ourselves We felt we needed to go and visit to move on to the next stage

I think we reached this point after about 2 mths of solid daily internet research
Out of interest Nikki has it been a joint project between you and your OH, the internet research I mean?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:04 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest Nikki has it been a joint project between you and your OH, the internet research I mean?
Yes Me during the day and him at night I think

This whole thing has consumed our life for the last 15 mths
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Yes Me during the day and him at night I think

This whole thing has consumed our life for the last 15 mths
oh you lucky devil you!! Don't get me wrong Lee is as desperate to go as me but sometimes I get the feeling it is me doing all the work. In fact he is watching a film as I'm on the laptop now, he has just seen what I have been typing (which is the first thing he's looked at all night - typical!!)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:16 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie
Thanks for all your help.

I really shouldn't be on here this time in the morning

Rubie

x
other tips while i think.
bring a triband/quadband phone and get a rogers SIM from the store so you have comms.

triband/quaband??

check your credit card & see if car insurance is a perk.
Is this not included in my rental price, they told me it was! Do you mean I need extra??

For mobile phones to work they have to talk the same "language" as the masts that handle the calls. In the UK we use masts A,B and C. In North America they use C and D. A "normal" UK mobile only speaks A and B which is fine and dandy for the UK but wont work in Canada. Triband can speak A B and C. Quadband can speak A B C and D. Meaning triband and quadband phones can be useful if you bring them to Canada and get a local SIM card. Use the forum search features for more info.

Re car rentals. Cars are about $25 a day. Trouble is the insurance is the same. What a lot of folks dont know is that some credit cards automatically cover this insurance charge if you use the card to pay for the rental. Its worth checking. I saved $500.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:18 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rubie

Tri/quad band phone is good if you have one as you can get it unlocked here before you go and then just buy a sim card over in NS and put it into your own phone.

Re credit card and insurance, a lot of credit card co's will provide insurance for free on hire cars, so worth checking as it does add quite a bit to your overall rental costs if you have to pay for it, I think this is what wbexpat was informing you of
oops. looks like i duplicated nikki's work. sorry.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:32 pm
Truro NS

Also I have seen Margot's name mentioned so much on this forum I was just wondering how you approached her and how you assure her (or any RDA for that matter) the committment you want to show them if you want to go through the community identified route?

Heh. I actually got asked this in an "informational interview" -

'How can I know you are serious about moving to Canada'

Seriously. I looked the guy in the eye and said, "I've flown 5000km and spent three thousand dollars to sit here. Please help me understand how much more of a demonstration you need".

Some people....

Yeah. Anyway - you really have to come on a recce. Thats the ultimate moral high ground. Also, realise that Margot and local employers get like 100 emails a day so its easy for even the most serious and earnest of applicants to get lost in the noise. Stand out from the crowd with a phone call, letter on nice paper and a visit in person. Its not a cheap thing to do but you go from the "dreamer" category to the "serious" category pretty quick and once there folks are more inclined to help as the investment of their time has more probability if paying off.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by wbexpat

Seriously. I looked the guy in the eye and said, "I've flown 5000km and spent three thousand dollars to sit here. Please help me understand how much more of a demonstration you need".

Some people....

Yeah. Anyway - you really have to come on a recce. Thats the ultimate moral high ground. Also, realise that Margot and local employers get like 100 emails a day so its easy for even the most serious and earnest of applicants to get lost in the noise. Stand out from the crowd with a phone call, letter on nice paper and a visit in person. Its not a cheap thing to do but you go from the "dreamer" category to the "serious" category pretty quick and once there folks are more inclined to help as the investment of their time has more probability if paying off.
Great Advice
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:04 pm

Hi Nikki

This is so true - I researched on-line and went to 2 emigration shows. There's only so much you can do from afar and so a recce is absolutely necessary at that point. All the research in the world won't tell you whether you like the feel of a place.

Look at you now - just weeks away from moving!!

oh you lucky devil you!! Don't get me wrong Lee is as desperate to go as me but sometimes I get the feeling it is me doing all the work. In fact he is watching a film as I'm on the laptop now, he has just seen what I have been typing (which is the first thing he's looked at all night - typical!!)
Hi Nic

don't worry about it unless you feel put upon. My OH is exactly the same, he wants to move, he just isn't the organising type and is no good on computers. When I think about it I could be saying we're moving to timbuktu and he would agree!! Joking aside he leaves me to it because he knows how cautious I am - he just appears at the pc now and then to look at something I want to show him or to look for something that has crossed his mind, like what cars are available. Last night it was to buy a camcorder for our trip - typical . He knows the questions he wants answered and is waiting until we go to find out.

Some people....
My thoughts exactly!

I think I am seeing my visit to Margot as an information seeking exercise and to find out more about living there and routes to take - I think the fact that you are there in person asking for her help on jobs, schools etc shows that you are serious. I don't think it is something that you have to prove as such, as your actions and intentions should speak for themselves.

Rubie

x
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:15 pm

Hi Rubie,

Nic xx
Hi Nic

yes we're going to be job hunting - more for my OH than me really as if we move there I would like to spend time making sure the kids are settled before I get a job. That said I still want to find out if my skills are wanted over there. I would go mad staying at home .

We are staying in an apartment not far from the airport - just as a base really. We may end up meeting up with fellow BE'ers - have to see what happens.

Good luck with everything - will keep in touch.

Rubie

x
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Some people....

That really is good advice, thanks. We're definitely going to look at coming out in May/June, I will have only been 'seriously' researching for about 6 months by then but, like so many people have said, all the research in the world can't replace how you feel about somewhere when you are actually there. The decision about going on the recce has been made, now we need to decide whether to go for 1 week without kids, or 2 weeks with kids - decisions, decisions!!

Maybe i'll send Margot a bouquet of flowers with a letter inside that will get it noticed !! only kidding of course, that would be bordering on OTT, but I certainly get what you mean, you do need to stand out from the crowd in these situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.