Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:10 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Question NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

I know this may seem a bit melodramatic to some, but having booked the recce that we've been waiting for for nearly 12 months I am soooo excited and then soooo extremely scared for some reason . I keep waking up thinking 'what on earth am I doing?' then I get all excited again and can't wait. Am I going nuts I wonder?

Anyway, panic aside, I am now rendered unable to think of anything else but who/what we need to do and see and have a few questions for anybody willing to help the needy. Here's my list:

Work - most important to get CV's (I know - resumes really) out and visit potential employers. No question here - it's just on my list.

Schools - How do I choose which ones to visit? Do I contact the local education people or just telephone the schools direct. We are looking at the Dartmouth/Halifax right up to Truro areas and I have a 10 yr old and 15 yr old. Help!!!!!

Houses - Did you contact a realtor person in advance of your recce? Just one, or a couple depending on which areas you were looking?

RDA's - meet the famous Margot, but I think I'll also need to meet the Halifax RDA person. Does anybody have a contact there?

Food Prices - check them out. This is not a deal breaker but there are lots of views on this forum on this so can't wait to find out for myself.

This is where my brain has frozen - please tell me all the things you checked out when you were on your recce and the things you wished that you had checked out.

Another thing - we are going at the end of May, so any tips on relevant clothing for that time of year would be super. Don't want to take my snow boots to find everyone in their bikinis!! Joking aside, I'm expecting it to be like it is in the UK at the mo - sometimes sunny , sometimes rainy, temps around 13 degrees. Please put me right if I am soooo on the wrong track.

Thanks to all - you're always so helpful.

Rubie

x
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:35 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Hi Rubie, dont panic would be my first thought Have you decided what area you are going to? If you have then you can book up to have a look round a few different schools in the area, its impossible to decide which one until you are sure of the area.
We looked at a few different house when we came over on our reccie just to get an idea of prices and what we could afford in various area's you could make some contacts whilst still in the UK just so they can put names to faces once you arrive, tell them what you want to look at, price range area etc.
We made several contacts for jobs before we came over too and ask whether it would be possible to pop in when you arrive just to show your face and drop off your resume, OH managed to get his job that way! So you never know.
Just do your research on the area as much as you can knowledge is power as they say!!
There will be an awful lot to take in when you do arrive, we bought a BIG note book with us to make notes and this really helped, you will probably get bonbarded with information and this really helped us.
If you have spoken to Margot I presume you are going to the Colchester area, can't help with the Halifax RDA, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you that information.
If I can help you with any other information please feel free to ask, there are tons of helpful people on here and we couldn't have done it with out them!! The more preparation you do before you arrive the better, it may seem really daunting now, but things will slot into place and begin to make sense when you arrive, good luck
Last of all, just enjoy
Bella
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:45 pm

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hi Rubie, dont panic would be my first thought Have you decided what area you are going to? If you have then you can book up to have a look round a few different schools in the area, its impossible to decide which one until you are sure of the area.
We looked at a few different house when we came over on our reccie just to get an idea of prices and what we could afford in various area's you could make some contacts whilst still in the UK just so they can put names to faces once you arrive, tell them what you want to look at, price range area etc.
We made several contacts for jobs before we came over too and ask whether it would be possible to pop in when you arrive just to show your face and drop off your resume, OH managed to get his job that way! So you never know.
Just do your research on the area as much as you can knowledge is power as they say!!
There will be an awful lot to take in when you do arrive, we bought a BIG note book with us to make notes and this really helped, you will probably get bonbarded with information and this really helped us.
If you have spoken to Margot I presume you are going to the Colchester area, can't help with the Halifax RDA, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you that information.
If I can help you with any other information please feel free to ask, there are tons of helpful people on here and we couldn't have done it with out them!! The more preparation you do before you arrive the better, it may seem really daunting now, but things will slot into place and begin to make sense when you arrive, good luck
Last of all, just enjoy
Bella
Thank you so much Bella.

I think that is part of the problem - panicking. We have been waiting for what seems to be an eternity and now that we are all booked up, I don't know where to start, with only 9/10 weeks to go.

Thanks again for your words of advice.

Rubie x
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Rubie

Are you going community idetified? if so depending on the work you want to do what makes you restrict yourself to areas close to Halifax?

Just saying this as I have heard that the closer to halifax the more stringent the CI route ( for obvious reasons they dont need so many newcomers in Halifax as in more rural areas)

Just a thought?

is it your first vist to NS? if not then perhaps you have already decided on your area?

If it is then there is far far more to NS than Halifax and the more rural the cheaper the property and cost of living

Just my 10 cents worth

as for weather last may was a roaster it was beautiful t shirt weather from about the 15th onwards.
We didnt use any heating day or night from about may 5th onwards last year.

We moved into our home on the 20th may and it was unbearably hot.

Lots of ticks

At the moment we are having wonderful bright sunny days and very cold nights still a fair bit of snow around though.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:22 pm

Hi Chumley

thanks for your post.

We are going to be based just outside Halifax on our recce with a view to looking at areas commutable to Halifax for work reasons really, but we are hoping to see as much of NS as possible whilst there. From the research we have done we are not ruling anywhere in or out until we have been there and seen. We've also got to think of the kids and their social lives.

We are hoping to meet up with MArgot at the colchester RDA to see about the CI stream but if hubby can get a job we will probably have to use skilled worker PNP route. I didn't know that about the CI stream and proximity toHalifax so thanks for that.

Glad to hear the sun was out May time last year. We are flying over on the 14th so hopefully it will be the same this year. At least my teen won't be able to moan about the weather then

Ticks - I've heard about these before. Do they attach themselves to you and have to be picked off Suppose it's better than having to pick a bear off your arm which is what my 15 year old thinks will happen!!

Thanks again.

Rubie
x
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:57 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rubie

We were there on the 13-22 May last year and the weather was really warm

I think you have most bases covered from what you have said, the difficulty with schools is that they are linked to where you live, so until you have this established it will be hard to know the school. That said, there is no harm at all in arranging to pop into a couple whilst you are over

Not sure if you have seen this link, but it covers all the schools in central NS, Colchester region/Pictou etc and you can get tel no's and names of the principals etc. I have been in contact with the one my DS will be going to and they have been amazingly helpful and so friendly

www.ccrsb.ednet.ns.ca

Here is a link to the Halifax area school board

http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/
Hope you have a great trip, we move for good around the time you are there I think (9th June)
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:27 pm

Thanks for those links Nikki - i'll go and have a good read.

We will be going 14 - 28 May so hopefully the weather will be kind to us too. Will not cross over with your move though - hope everything goes well for you. You must be getting the monster-sized butterflies by now!! I know I would be!

Have you bought a house or will you be renting at first? And how did you manage to arrange all that from over here!

Rubie
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Hi Rubie,

We are going through exactly the same as you! We are going to Halifax on 3rd April for our recce. We are still open-minded as where to live, and going to look at as many areas as possible. People on here have been really helpful. We have a meeting with the Halifax RDA whilst we are there, the persons name is Robyn Webb, if you type this name and Halifax RDA in google it will come up with their website. I have got a student visa so think we will all be going on the back of this, but hedging our bets!

Is your 15 year old a girl or boy? We have a 16 year old daughter and 11 year old boy.

We will let you know how Halifax RDA goes!

Lisa
Hey Nikki not long for you now!!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:53 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie
Thanks for those links Nikki - i'll go and have a good read.

We will be going 14 - 28 May so hopefully the weather will be kind to us too. Will not cross over with your move though - hope everything goes well for you. You must be getting the monster-sized butterflies by now!! I know I would be!

Have you bought a house or will you be renting at first? And how did you manage to arrange all that from over here!

Rubie
Hi Rubie,

looks like we will just miss each other, quite busy now, never ending lists and wave of emotions going up and down

We have arranged a rental for when we arrive, its actually a house that we looked at whilst on our recce last year as it was for sale then, quite spooky that it has now come up for rent in the area we liked etcHas been great to get house sorted as I have now also been able to get DS registered for school

Keep checking back here, there are some really great people who will go out of their way to help you

Good luck

Hi Lisa Hope you have a great trip over too no not long, 12 weeks tomorrow I think
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by hepburn
Hi Rubie,

We are going through exactly the same as you! We are going to Halifax on 3rd April for our recce. We are still open-minded as where to live, and going to look at as many areas as possible. People on here have been really helpful. We have a meeting with the Halifax RDA whilst we are there, the persons name is Robyn Webb, if you type this name and Halifax RDA in google it will come up with their website. I have got a student visa so think we will all be going on the back of this, but hedging our bets!

Is your 15 year old a girl or boy? We have a 16 year old daughter and 11 year old boy.

We will let you know how Halifax RDA goes!

Lisa
Hey Nikki not long for you now!!

Hello Lisa

Good luck with your visit - please let me know how you get on with everything. What are you studying when you go over? It is something I had considered but the cost as an international student scared me off!!

15 and 10 yr olds are both girls - Maybe we could get the older ones in touch, it would be nice for them to have someone in the same position. She hasn't expressed too much dislike for the move to Canada - only the obligatory teen disapproval so far .

Nikki - how weird was that that you are renting the house you viewed!! Are rental prices in NS reasonable? I think I read somewhere that it's quite difficult to rent a house in NS - I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

Rubie

x
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Hi Rubie

I have got a place at a childcare college. I'm doing an NVQ2 over here at the moment. We applied for PR Feb 08, but wanted to get over quicker. The fees are scary, that is another reason why we are looking at different avenues.

We are thinking that getting over there this year will be ideal, as our daughter is finishing high school this year and we don't really want her to start college here and then have to move away from it next year. She is really excited about going, she likes the look of the schools and colleges. It would be a good idea to get them in touch!

Can't wait for our trip now!

Keep in touch
Lisa
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Just re-read your original post, you asked about visiting schools and realtors.

We have rang a couple of schools in Bedford and are going to visit them. Get your eldest daughter to take a look at Charles P Allen High School, this is the one my daughter likes the look of! As I said we are not commiting but just thought we would get some ideas.

We have also got an appointment with UK2Novascotia, Mike and Orla who are lovely. The realtors we are meeting are Annette & Jerry Murphy (through Mike & Orla).

Hope this helps.

Lisa
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:52 pm

Thanks Lisa

I'll get her to have a look at the school.

I know what you mean about being excited about the trip - have a good one!

Rubie
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:00 pm

Hello Lisa

Good luck with your visit - please let me know how you get on with everything. What are you studying when you go over? It is something I had considered but the cost as an international student scared me off!!

15 and 10 yr olds are both girls - Maybe we could get the older ones in touch, it would be nice for them to have someone in the same position. She hasn't expressed too much dislike for the move to Canada - only the obligatory teen disapproval so far .

Nikki - how weird was that that you are renting the house you viewed!! Are rental prices in NS reasonable? I think I read somewhere that it's quite difficult to rent a house in NS - I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

Rubie

x
Hi Rubie,

Yes it its quite weird, hopefully its a good sign

Rent is reasonable in comparison to UK, but all relative to likely earnings in NS to be honest, although you certainly get more house for the money over there
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:19 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I know this may seem a bit melodramatic to some, but having booked the recce that we've been waiting for for nearly 12 months I am soooo excited and then soooo extremely scared for some reason . I keep waking up thinking 'what on earth am I doing?' then I get all excited again and can't wait. Am I going nuts I wonder?
no

Anyway, panic aside, I am now rendered unable to think of anything else but who/what we need to do and see and have a few questions for anybody willing to help the needy. Here's my list:

Work - most important to get CV's (I know - resumes really) out and visit potential employers. No question here - it's just on my list.
i recommend the following: make sure they are in "canadian format". dont include personal information like what religion you are. dont say anything about your work status. conceal periods of unemployment by using the phrase "relevant work experience" rather than "work experience". try and find out what canadian equivalents are for your qualifications and annotate accrodingly

Schools - How do I choose which ones to visit? Do I contact the local education people or just telephone the schools direct. We are looking at the Dartmouth/Halifax right up to Truro areas and I have a 10 yr old and 15 yr old. Help!!!!!
Truro is easy. There are only one elementary and middle school left unless you head towards Bible Hill. Book visits _well_ in advance.

Houses - Did you contact a realtor person in advance of your recce? Just one, or a couple depending on which areas you were looking?
In Truro the only guy to talk to is Bruce Berry. Full disclosure: he handled my house purchase for me but he is not an associate of mine, I dont benefit from recommending him and he doesnt know me as "wbexpat" anyway.

RDA's - meet the famous Margot, but I think I'll also need to meet the Halifax RDA person. Does anybody have a contact there?
Sorry no. It might be worth mentioning C.I. is easier to get out in the sticks due to the numbers involved. I had pleasant visits with Margot's peers in Cumberland, Lunenburg, Hants and Kings. All very pleasant but of all of them I decided to deal with Margot. I got the idea she was most proactive.

Food Prices - check them out. This is not a deal breaker but there are lots of views on this forum on this so can't wait to find out for myself.
Its about 1£ == 1.50$. Some things are very expensive (chicken) some things are cheap (pumpkins). It evens out as above. I suggest you bring a recent UK supermarket receipt with you and mark it with the Canadian prices for a direct comparison.

This is where my brain has frozen - please tell me all the things you checked out when you were on your recce and the things you wished that you had checked out.
Make LOADS of contacts. Bruce Berry knows everybody including who's hiring. Mrgot will hook you up with local businesses. Make your own phone calls. Send letters and follow up with emails and calls. Some businesses are ignorant, some are very approachable. All are either busy or laid back so dont get upset if they never reply. Get in their faces and tell them you are here at great cost as an opporunity for them. The fact you have flown 5000km to speak to them should demonstrate your commitment. Dont mention work visas other then to say they dont have to do any paperwork as you are being sponsored by the province.
If you like the look of a town as the local police about good areas and bad areas. Ask about flood areas and flies and property taxes. Ask about trade qualifications. Go out. Get drunk. Buy drinks for the bartender and use that as an excuse to access information.

Another thing - we are going at the end of May, so any tips on relevant clothing for that time of year would be super. Don't want to take my snow boots to find everyone in their bikinis!! Joking aside, I'm expecting it to be like it is in the UK at the mo - sometimes sunny , sometimes rainy, temps around 13 degrees. Please put me right if I am soooo on the wrong track.
Bring UK autumn clothes. May is generally pretty good. Can get hot, can get cold. NS has wide temprature fluctuations - 10C between day and night so dont get caught without a jacket if you are out for the day. Try and pick up some OFF! spray in case the blackfly are out and you in the park or forest. Towns wont be too bad. TOo early for Mozzies and deerfly. There will be no snow.

Thanks to all - you're always so helpful.
If in Truro I recommend Les & Sherrie's Royalty B&B on Prince. As ever I am not an associate, I dont get kickbacks and they dont know who wbexpat is.

Rubie

x

full disclosure:
I am based in Truro with my family as you can see from my replies.
I am CI, via Margot. I got PNP, WP, renewed WP under CI, PR, meds, police matters, and just got call for passports so you could say Ive been throught the process.
irishsamx lives up the road and she & mr.irishsamx know the ropes too.
i have met up with a few would-be PNPs in Truro and am always happy to help if I can.
PM me for more details if you wish.
good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.