Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Wikiposts

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default Re: NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Originally Posted by Rubie
Hi Nic

yes we're going to be job hunting - more for my OH than me really as if we move there I would like to spend time making sure the kids are settled before I get a job. That said I still want to find out if my skills are wanted over there. I would go mad staying at home .

We are staying in an apartment not far from the airport - just as a base really. We may end up meeting up with fellow BE'ers - have to see what happens.

Good luck with everything - will keep in touch.

Rubie

x
Hi Rubie,

After a day's work here I am again glued to the laptop!! In fact I've been itching to get on it all day but our IT system at work blocks all forum chat

I had a quick look at flights to Halifax today for June and they are looking really cheap, £313 return!!! that's unbelievable.

I also had a look at Holiday Inn Express in Bedford and that came up at $115 a night per room, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

I just can't decided what to do about the kids, it would break my heart to leave them for a week, so I was thinking today we could either do 1 week without them, or 2 weeks with them so there is a little more time to play with. It would just mean taking them out of school, which I have always been reluctant to do, but it is almost double the price to go in July/August and I just can't bring myself to pay it, not when we need all the money we can get!!

Nic x
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:07 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Hi Rubie,

After a day's work here I am again glued to the laptop!! In fact I've been itching to get on it all day but our IT system at work blocks all forum chat

I had a quick look at flights to Halifax today for June and they are looking really cheap, £313 return!!! that's unbelievable.

I also had a look at Holiday Inn Express in Bedford and that came up at $115 a night per room, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

I just can't decided what to do about the kids, it would break my heart to leave them for a week, so I was thinking today we could either do 1 week without them, or 2 weeks with them so there is a little more time to play with. It would just mean taking them out of school, which I have always been reluctant to do, but it is almost double the price to go in July/August and I just can't bring myself to pay it, not when we need all the money we can get!!

Nic x
It is difficult, I know of people that have taken both options, we did a third, we paid for my mum to come over with us, we rented a cottage so the accomodation was paid for anyway, so it was the cost of the flight, but it meant that we had the flexibility to do what we needed to do and knew that the kids were safe and happy. (ours were 5 and 18 mths at the time) Also gave her the chance to see where we were looking to go and live etc

Good luck deciding,
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
It is difficult, I know of people that have taken both options, we did a third, we paid for my mum to come over with us, we rented a cottage so the accomodation was paid for anyway, so it was the cost of the flight, but it meant that we had the flexibility to do what we needed to do and knew that the kids were safe and happy. (ours were 5 and 18 mths at the time) Also gave her the chance to see where we were looking to go and live etc

Good luck deciding,
Thats what we are doing in April, We are taking my dad as the apartment we booked is a 6 berth and we had booked a people carrier as well anyway. Paying for his flight which is only £208 return so jobs a good un, Good old dad, bless him.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rockspie
Thats what we are doing in April, We are taking my dad as the apartment we booked is a 6 berth and we had booked a people carrier as well anyway. Paying for his flight which is only £208 return so jobs a good un, Good old dad, bless him.
You must be so excited if you are going in April. I'm definitely warming to the idea of taking my mum - if she'll go!! She's in New Zealand at the minute and doesn't get back until the end of April. We speak on the webcam but don't really want to break the news to her this way, but if I want to get flights booked then maybe I'll have to!! Talk about a jet setting lifestyle, NZ one week, Canada the next - how can she complain!!

Can I ask who you booked your flights with rockspie? That's a fabulous price you've got there. Also whereabouts is the apartment you are staying in? I have briefly been looking at accommodation but have only so far shortlisted the holiday inn, but not entirely sure this is cost effective, maybe I would be better looking at an apartment.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:23 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great time
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:24 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Hi Rubie,

Nic x
Hi Nic

That's what we're hoping to do - half holiday, half recce. Although mine are a bit older than yours so not so much of a problem.

I know what you mean about finances, we've taken ours out of school for a week, though flights were a bargain for us too so made it a bit easier.

Depending on where you want to stay, there are some really reasonably priced places for staying on a recce. We have gone for the apartment rental out of town - that way we can get a real feel for the place, do our shopping etc etc. but still go out to eat if we want. It doesn't have the pool and in house entertainment that hotels have so will have to go the extra mile with entertaining the kids but I think it will be fine.

I warned you about getting addicted!!

Rubie

x
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:28 am

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Hello Rockspie

Finally took the plunge and booked the same apartment as you!!!

Rubie

x
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi Nic

That's what we're hoping to do - half holiday, half recce. Although mine are a bit older than yours so not so much of a problem.

I know what you mean about finances, we've taken ours out of school for a week, though flights were a bargain for us too so made it a bit easier.

Depending on where you want to stay, there are some really reasonably priced places for staying on a recce. We have gone for the apartment rental out of town - that way we can get a real feel for the place, do our shopping etc etc. but still go out to eat if we want. It doesn't have the pool and in house entertainment that hotels have so will have to go the extra mile with entertaining the kids but I think it will be fine.

I warned you about getting addicted!!

Rubie

x
I just sent Nikki Dreaming a PM about this but I'm sat here trying to write my email to Margot and I've got as far as Hi!! Its like I've got writer's block, which isn't like me!! Why can you not think of the right things to say when it matters most?!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:41 am

I just sent Nikki Dreaming a PM about this but I'm sat here trying to write my email to Margot and I've got as far as Hi!! Its like I've got writer's block, which isn't like me!! Why can you not think of the right things to say when it matters most?!

I know what you mean, it's awful isn't it - first have a good think about why you are emailing her and what questions she may be able to help you with. I had specific questions about my husbands line of work which we weren't sure would be in demand over there and she helped us with that.

I can't remember my exact words but I think I just mentioned that she had a reputation for being super helpful and wondered if she could help me with a few questions about living and moving to NS - bearing in mind that she works for Colchester County RDA.

Good luck!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Hello Rockspie

Finally took the plunge and booked the same apartment as you!!!

Rubie

x
I was going to ask you if you had, as from your posts i had a feeling it was the same lol.

Ill let you know how we go!!!

xx
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

You must be so excited if you are going in April. I'm definitely warming to the idea of taking my mum - if she'll go!! She's in New Zealand at the minute and doesn't get back until the end of April. We speak on the webcam but don't really want to break the news to her this way, but if I want to get flights booked then maybe I'll have to!! Talk about a jet setting lifestyle, NZ one week, Canada the next - how can she complain!!

Can I ask who you booked your flights with rockspie? That's a fabulous price you've got there. Also whereabouts is the apartment you are staying in? I have briefly been looking at accommodation but have only so far shortlisted the holiday inn, but not entirely sure this is cost effective, maybe I would be better looking at an apartment.
PM sent