Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Wikiposts

NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

lhcasssidy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Hi Rubie

Like you we are going on a reccie in April- with 8 year old and 13 year old(almost 14) in tow. We have been to Nova Scotia before and have decided that we are going to base our reccie on the North Shore.

Have arranged viewings for houses with realtor

Have spoken to both RDA cumberland and colchester (already meet Margot) Lunenbury and have spoken to Madonna from Kings.

Still waiting for information about jobs (ours is not straight forward)- if all fails will visit in person.

Last time stayed in cottages one just outside Mahone the other Pictou which gave us an idea of food costs- about the same as UK and they are not big on veggie food! This time however decided to stay in motels/hotels with swimming pools because kids moaned all the time about being in the car.

Plan to get in touch with schools when were are there.

Like you however we have left a few days free so that if we are not sure we can look at other options
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:45 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wbexpat
full disclosure:
I am based in Truro with my family as you can see from my replies.
I am CI, via Margot. I got PNP, WP, renewed WP under CI, PR, meds, police matters, and just got call for passports so you could say Ive been throught the process.
irishsamx lives up the road and she & mr.irishsamx know the ropes too.
i have met up with a few would-be PNPs in Truro and am always happy to help if I can.
PM me for more details if you wish.
good luck

Thanks wbexpat!!

I think I had better get moving!! That's given me loads to think about and sort out. Is 8 weeks going to be enough time though???

Rubie x
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

skier is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rubie
I know this may seem a bit melodramatic to some, but having booked the recce that we've been waiting for for nearly 12 months I am soooo excited and then soooo extremely scared for some reason . I keep waking up thinking 'what on earth am I doing?' then I get all excited again and can't wait. Am I going nuts I wonder?

Anyway, panic aside, I am now rendered unable to think of anything else but who/what we need to do and see and have a few questions for anybody willing to help the needy. Here's my list:

Work - most important to get CV's (I know - resumes really) out and visit potential employers. No question here - it's just on my list.

Schools - How do I choose which ones to visit? Do I contact the local education people or just telephone the schools direct. We are looking at the Dartmouth/Halifax right up to Truro areas and I have a 10 yr old and 15 yr old. Help!!!!!

Houses - Did you contact a realtor person in advance of your recce? Just one, or a couple depending on which areas you were looking?

RDA's - meet the famous Margot, but I think I'll also need to meet the Halifax RDA person. Does anybody have a contact there?

Food Prices - check them out. This is not a deal breaker but there are lots of views on this forum on this so can't wait to find out for myself.

This is where my brain has frozen - please tell me all the things you checked out when you were on your recce and the things you wished that you had checked out.

Another thing - we are going at the end of May, so any tips on relevant clothing for that time of year would be super. Don't want to take my snow boots to find everyone in their bikinis!! Joking aside, I'm expecting it to be like it is in the UK at the mo - sometimes sunny , sometimes rainy, temps around 13 degrees. Please put me right if I am soooo on the wrong track.

Thanks to all - you're always so helpful.

Rubie

x
Hi Rubie!

Sorry for sounding thick but what is/are RDA's?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:06 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks wbexpat!!

I think I had better get moving!! That's given me loads to think about and sort out. Is 8 weeks going to be enough time though???

Rubie x

its going to have to be isnt it!

yes. it should be plenty but dont leave it to the last minute.
get organised ASAP. you dont want may to arrive with nothing done, especially with meeting people. folks diaries fill up pretty quick, especially decision-makers.

other tips while i think.
bring a triband/quadband phone and get a rogers SIM from the store so you have comms.
check your credit card & see if car insurance is a perk. if not its a fair old chunk.
be aware buses run regular to/from halifax airport to halifax, truro and elsewhere.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:06 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skier
Hi Rubie!

Sorry for sounding thick but what is/are RDA's?

Many thanks!
Regional Development Agencies.

Your first point of contact for PNP.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:11 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

yes. it should be plenty but dont leave it to the last minute.
get organised ASAP. you dont want may to arrive with nothing done, especially with meeting people. folks diaries fill up pretty quick, especially decision-makers.

bring a triband/quadband phone and get a rogers SIM from the store so you have comms.
check your credit card & see if car insurance is a perk. if not its a fair old chunk.
be aware buses run regular to/from halifax airport to halifax, truro and elsewhere.
Hi Rubie

Wbexpat has provided you with loads of great info I would also take laptop if you can and try and have internet access, I found this really useful whilst over to be in contact with relevent people and to be able to have easy access to email etc

Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:58 am
Truro NS

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi Rubie

Wbexpat has provided you with loads of great info I would also take laptop if you can and try and have internet access, I found this really useful whilst over to be in contact with relevent people and to be able to have easy access to email etc

second that.
Web access in Truro can also be had at the GlenGarry Best Western, the Library and at Royalty B&B. Latter two have wireless. The library give you a code. It works in the evening too from the car park
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:00 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

second that.
Web access in Truro can also be had at the GlenGarry Best Western, the Library and at Royalty B&B. Latter two have wireless. The library give you a code. It works in the evening too from the car park
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:18 pm

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

triband/quaband

check your credit card & see if car insurance is a perk.
Is this not included in my rental price, they told me it was! Do you mean I need extra
Thanks for all your help.

I really shouldn't be on here this time in the morning

Rubie

x
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

McBotts is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our recce in Feb- and just to let you know that we could also vouch for UK2NS- Mike was really helpful as were Jerry and Annette Murphy the realtors. We had everything done and dusted inside of a week- they seem to have a very good network of people! We are heading over end of April to live with 12 and 13 year old boys- they are just so excited, but worried at the same time. Have fun on your recce- it should almost be lobster season then too! YUM!
Kim
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by McBotts
We had our recce in Feb- and just to let you know that we could also vouch for UK2NS- Mike was really helpful as were Jerry and Annette Murphy the realtors. We had everything done and dusted inside of a week- they seem to have a very good network of people! We are heading over end of April to live with 12 and 13 year old boys- they are just so excited, but worried at the same time. Have fun on your recce- it should almost be lobster season then too! YUM!
Kim
Thanks Kim - I may contact UK2NS. The more contacts the better i'd say.

Good luck with your move .

Rubie

x
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:31 am

Thanks for all your help.

I really shouldn't be on here this time in the morning

Rubie

x
Hi Rubie

Tri/quad band phone is good if you have one as you can get it unlocked here before you go and then just buy a sim card over in NS and put it into your own phone.

Re credit card and insurance, a lot of credit card co's will provide insurance for free on hire cars, so worth checking as it does add quite a bit to your overall rental costs if you have to pay for it, I think this is what wbexpat was informing you of
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

I know this may seem a bit melodramatic to some, but having booked the recce that we've been waiting for for nearly 12 months I am soooo excited and then soooo extremely scared for some reason . I keep waking up thinking 'what on earth am I doing?' then I get all excited again and can't wait. Am I going nuts I wonder?

Anyway, panic aside, I am now rendered unable to think of anything else but who/what we need to do and see and have a few questions for anybody willing to help the needy. Here's my list:

Work - most important to get CV's (I know - resumes really) out and visit potential employers. No question here - it's just on my list.

Schools - How do I choose which ones to visit? Do I contact the local education people or just telephone the schools direct. We are looking at the Dartmouth/Halifax right up to Truro areas and I have a 10 yr old and 15 yr old. Help!!!!!

Houses - Did you contact a realtor person in advance of your recce? Just one, or a couple depending on which areas you were looking?

RDA's - meet the famous Margot, but I think I'll also need to meet the Halifax RDA person. Does anybody have a contact there?

Food Prices - check them out. This is not a deal breaker but there are lots of views on this forum on this so can't wait to find out for myself.

This is where my brain has frozen - please tell me all the things you checked out when you were on your recce and the things you wished that you had checked out.

Another thing - we are going at the end of May, so any tips on relevant clothing for that time of year would be super. Don't want to take my snow boots to find everyone in their bikinis!! Joking aside, I'm expecting it to be like it is in the UK at the mo - sometimes sunny , sometimes rainy, temps around 13 degrees. Please put me right if I am soooo on the wrong track.

Thanks to all - you're always so helpful.

Rubie

x
Hi Rubie: We made the Move to NS last Feb and have just passed our 1 year anniversary in our new house. If there is anything we can help you with PM me and ill give you phone numbers, and email details. It is difficult with children, I take it like us you want a better life for your family, if thats so the way we chose our home was to base it on the catchment area for the best schools.

At the time we moved here there were two in contention, CP Allen is the Bedford High School, and Lockview is the Fall River area High School. We chose CP Allen as it has the Best reputation of all of the high schools in the HRM. My 18 year old daughter is going there at the moment and to be honest we made the right choice, she has thrived, (She has a lead role in the high school musical coming soon (Mrs Potts) in Beauty and the Beast)

Any way you should be aware that some schools have a very poor reputation, PM me or call and Ill let you know.

Mike and Orla would be good for you to talk to as well
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:08 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those links Nikki - i'll go and have a good read.

We will be going 14 - 28 May so hopefully the weather will be kind to us too. Will not cross over with your move though - hope everything goes well for you. You must be getting the monster-sized butterflies by now!! I know I would be!

Have you bought a house or will you be renting at first? And how did you manage to arrange all that from over here!

Rubie
Hi Rubie

you will be there when we are there we are flying out on 21st May and coming back on 2 June (If AirCanada don't change the flights again:curse:.....likewise a recce trip......My wife, I and our two girls aged 9 and 5.

We hope to stay on the coast somewhere in Colchester County as we too are going to see Margot....but might pop down to Halifax to have a look round...

I can empathise with all your worries...we have them too........too much to do and not really enough time.....

if you want to swap war stories here I am

Dean
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Question Re: NS recce booked at last!! Help now needed.

Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me invading your thread but just wanted to say that all the replies to your original post have been so helpful to me.

The names people have suggested at RDA's, the good reptuation schools, which for us and probably most people is one of the most important things and definitely one of the reasons why we want to move.

Would you mind if I ask how long you have been planning your reccie already? I have been doing a bit of basic research, well probably not that basic because I feel like I have been glued to this website for the last two weeks! However, before we take things any further I feel like I need to visit NS. I was thinking of doing this end May/beg June but then I just wonder if this is a little early. I was also thinking about going without the kids, which would be a killer (2 girls ages 7 and 9), but really so we can cram as much in as we possibly can without them moaning that they are been dragged around from place to place. We would only go for a week so we would definitely have to make the best use of our time. We have spoken to the kids about going on our own and whilst we don't make a habit of it they seem to be quite happy about it, once we explained what the trip would involve!

Also I have seen Margot's name mentioned so much on this forum I was just wondering how you approached her and how you assure her (or any RDA for that matter) the committment you want to show them if you want to go through the community identified route?

Hubby and I are going to look at approaching people about jobs so that we can try and arrange meetings when we do finally get something booked. I'm not sure whether financially we're going to be able to do this but ideally I would love to not get a job at the start (only me though, hubby would def have to work), just so that I can make sure the kids are settled in and I can maybe do some voluntary work with the community, just to help integrate a little better.

It is so reassuring to hear that people are of similar mind. I mean the excited and confidence in what you are doing to almost stopping in your tracks thinking is this the right thing to do. Both me and my husband are leaving (fairly) secure good jobs, and sometimes I just think are we mad, but then I keep saying if we don't try we'll never know.

Nic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.