Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

not sure about the move from England to Canada

not sure about the move from England to Canada

Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:51 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not sure about the move from England to Canada

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
1,500 for a root canal?

I had to deal with a root canal in Ontario, was 750 or around there, no idea what the going rate in BC is.

I have a friend who was quoted 2,500 for the work needed by the lowest cost dentist he found in his area here in BC, so he went to Mexico and after extensive research found a well respected dentist, and total cost of the entire trip including the work was 900, so even with airfare and hotel, he saved a nice chunk of money and got a mini-vacation too....lol

My wife needs a crown, estimate is 1,200 and the dental coverage we have won't pay for crowns, so have to save and pay out of pocket.
I have been going to the same dentist and orthodontist in Las Algodones, Mexico for 12 years or so. Never had any sort of problem. First quality work. A root canal is US$350 and a crown is from US$185 depending on the material that they use, be it porcelain, white metal or gold.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I have been going to the same dentist and orthodontist in Las Algodones, Mexico for 12 years or so. Never had any sort of problem. First quality work. A root canal is US$350 and a crown is from US$185 depending on the material that they use, be it porcelain, white metal or gold.
Well at that price we may be able to have a Mexican vacation and dental work for less then what just a crown is here...lol
Old Aug 28th 2015, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Eshiels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well at that price we may be able to have a Mexican vacation and dental work for less then what just a crown is here...lol
So true! I was at the dentist in London, Ontario today. My two crowns cost me $2700.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I must have missed something, somewhere... uzzled:

How did we get from moving to a BFN reservation Canada from Yorkshire England, to dental care costs?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
How did we get from moving to a BFN reservation Canada from Yorkshire England, to dental care costs?
Wait until we get onto block heaters.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Wait until we get onto block heaters.
Fairy Nuff.

(Sorry your thread got hijacked, OP)

Last edited by Shirtback; Aug 28th 2015 at 10:40 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

not a problem, its nice to hear anything about canada, including dental costs and block heaters..
Old Aug 31st 2015, 2:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I must have missed something, somewhere... uzzled:

There seems to be an obsession with tenancy rules and dental plans with some people on here. I think the OP's post was rather more fundamental than how much a crown is going to cost. Life isn't all about cost - benefit. It certainly isn't all about teeth!
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So I mentioned this to my friend in Sudbury and her response was: "Is she mental?"
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

As it stands, its going to be for a holiday only, I cant see myself ever leaving Blighty long term..
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jaynie, I lived across the lake (Simon Lake) from the Reserve you mention for some years back in the late 70s - early 80s. It's beautiful and the lake is a great resource both summer and winter. BUT....Reserve living apart, you really need to know just what winter in Northern Ontario really means. It's basically 6 months of snow and ice, with temperatures regularly dropping below -20 c and from time to time -40 and even colder. The lakes freeze solid, thick enough for heavy trucks to drive on them. There was a gravel pit across a nearby lake that only operated in the winter when fully loaded gravel trucks could access the pit over the ice. It's a monochrome world for long months and you crave a glimpse of green. Keeping a car running in these conditions is a challenge. The tires freeze flat on the bottom overnight and you have to scrape your windscreen free of ice every morning. In the spring 6 months worth of frozen unmentionables are exposed as the ice thaws and start to smell. the ground might be still frozen so the melting lake water can't drain, there's flooding around the lake. Then the bugs come out. You have to be prepared to embrace everything that winter brings otherwise you will find it very difficult. Having said that, Sudbury is a great town in a rugged sort of way. And the summers are often very warm, but too short. I'm planning on returning to Canada soon, but I'll go to BC. I've done my time in the frozen north.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

goneforgood....I couldnt agree more about the winter, i couldnt imagine the cold and i know i would hate the winter, i much prefer evenly spaced seasons and a temperate climate...I cant see myself living there, and everyones replies to my question have just instilled that.. I will stick to going there for a holiday ..lol
Old Sep 19th 2015, 11:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So my friend in Sudbury just got her realtor licence and asked if you were still interested???
Old Sep 20th 2015, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

LOL...Errrrr I think i will pass thankyou xx....