British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   not sure about the move from England to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/not-sure-about-move-england-canada-863946/)

jaynie35uk Aug 24th 2015 1:59 pm

not sure about the move from England to Canada

My husband is Canadian and Im English, hes been here for 13 years and is hankering to go back home (Ontario). Im not at all sure having been there once but didnt really see much of canada as we went to see his family who live up north...I will also be leaving 2 children who will be in their early 20s....Im needing honest views from Brits who now live in Canada both positive and negative on how they feel now they are living there.. Thank You ...xx

BristolUK Aug 24th 2015 2:28 pm

Re: not sure about the move from England to Canada

Pros: money can go further (outside of major cities); space; houses look nice.
Cons: snow (although that can be a pro); humidity; mosquitoes; ice storms; June bugs; high medical bills, including high insurance premiums/co-pays; long way from Europe; less favourable employment issues unless you're an in demand, head-hunted sort.

But all this goes out the window if you are with the one you love.

christmasoompa Aug 24th 2015 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk (Post 11731505)
My husband is Canadian and Im English, hes been here for 13 years and is hankering to go back home (Ontario). Im not at all sure having been there once but didnt really see much of canada as we went to see his family who live up north...I will also be leaving 2 children who will be in their early 20s....Im needing honest views from Brits who now live in Canada both positive and negative on how they feel now they are living there.. Thank You ...xx

Have a search of the forums and you'll find loads of threads with people's opinions on - the MBTTUK sub forum is also useful reading to see why people choose to return to the UK after moving to Canada.

But my advice would be to do a proper recce trip so that you can have another look at Canada and the area you'd be living in. Granted, it's not the same as living there, but there no point in spending lots of money on a move without visiting properly IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

rivingtonpike Aug 24th 2015 3:13 pm

As I'm sure you know, Canada is vast and varied. I'm assuming you're considering moving back to Ontario if that's where hubby is from. Your question is so broad I'm not sure how constructive or helpful answers are likely to be. As Christmas has suggested, come out to visit with your "living here" head on and see how well it all fits.

nativenewyorker Aug 24th 2015 3:23 pm

I was sure before we came but for the first 3 years I could have gone back to the UK in a heartbeat! I found it very different to the UK, particularly the people. After 4 years I feel a little more settled and we will stay here. There are lots of positives about living here but do I think we made the right move? The jury's still out. If I had to leave my children then there is no way I would do it personally, but if you don't try it then you may always regret it. I don't envy you making the decision lol!

colchar Aug 24th 2015 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11731521)
Pros: money can go further (outside of major cities); space; houses look nice.
Cons: snow (although that can be a pro); humidity; mosquitoes; ice storms; June bugs; high medical bills, including high insurance premiums/co-pays; long way from Europe; less favourable employment issues unless you're an in demand, head-hunted sort.

But all this goes out the window if you are with the one you love.

Ice storms don't happen regularly. We have socialized medicine so there are few healthcare costs and supplemental insurance (ie. for prescription drugs, dental work, etc.) are usually provided through one's employer and do not have high co-pays.

bats Aug 24th 2015 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11731601)
Ice storms don't happen regularly. We have socialized medicine so there are few healthcare costs and supplemental insurance (ie. for prescription drugs, dental work, etc.) are usually provided through one's employer and do not have high co-pays.

You need a full time job to get healthcare benefits don't forget. Healthcare costs can be high if you don't have additional cover. For example a knee brace after an injury is not covered by OHIP. For broken bones you'll get a basic plaster cast if you want a fibre glass cast, or a walking boot, or crutches, then you pay out of pocket. Hearing aids aren't covered, there are some funds to pay part of the cost but you can still be left with a large amount to pay. I've just paid $3000 for an upgrade. All batteries have to be paid for, repairs, lost items so you need to add those to your household insurance policy and that costs $$$. I've also paid out around $300 for a new smoke detector and alarm for me. Dental fees too, even with top up insurance you're likely to be paying for crowns and bridges.

That said, I do like living here but it's taken me a while to settle. This was surprising as I knew the area well and was keen to move here.

So much depends on where you plan to live, are you in a town now and will you be moving to a town? If it's town to countryside or vice versa you're adding in another change.

Tell us more so we can try to be helpful.

MarylandNed Aug 24th 2015 4:51 pm

Where in Ontario? If it's remote, you might have more trouble settling and finding things to do (and a job if you intend to work).

Leaving kids behind sounds like it might be tough. I know that kids that age can just up and leave to far flung places anyway but the fact is that you are all in the UK at the moment and it's easier to see each other (assuming that's what you want of course!)

This is something only you and your husband can decide but if his problem is solved by moving back to Canada, then will that be at the expense of a even bigger problem for you? Are the kids independent or do they still rely on you somewhat? Will they have family members in the UK that they can turn to for support if necessary? These are the sorts of things that need to be resolved before a mother's mind can be at peace. Of course, you not being there can actually help them become more independent.

BristolUK Aug 24th 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11731601)
Ice storms don't happen regularly.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of regularly. Every winter (to varying degrees) seems fairly regular.

We have socialized medicine so there are few healthcare costs
Unless you're ill or disabled in some way.

prescription drugs, dental work, etc.) are usually provided through one's employer and do not have high co-pays.
Tell that to my daughter whose employer keeps staff hours down so they don't qualify for the employer's scheme.

You can tell that to me too if you like and it will comfort me when I spend $180 on monthly supplies for testing blood sugars and injecting insulin. They'd be free in the UK as would my prescriptions rather than my co-pays of $51 a month this year, $102 next.

I guess that makes it a con rather than a pro.

Oink Aug 24th 2015 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk (Post 11731505)

The terrible weather, the boring people, the lack of culture and just the sheer backwardness of the place should make you worry. Nobody likes being the outsider so I can understand the desire to want to go back to be with his own kind, but Canada is one of those places that brings to mind the phrase "only a mother could love that." If he's really homesick can't he just get the NHL package on TV and eat rubbish food in the UK?

jaynie35uk Aug 24th 2015 5:32 pm

My husband wants to live on a reserve near sudbury..hes a native american and has family there...hes just been there with our 3 children for nearly a month and thinks it would be a better life for the kids, im not convinced so wanted others views on what they think of canada in general...(i know its not a reservation that most will be living on).. saying that he could leave his car open with loose change in it with no problem and it is a nice reserve..My worry is the lack of variety, from what i see, its lakes and pine trees(northern ontario) where we live in england we are near the coast, close to the dales and not too far from the lake district, have castles and everything to hand...and my fear(maybe unfounded) is boredom and nowhere to go for a day trip etc..with everything being so far apart..BUT i really dont know as ive only been briefly and that was just travelling to a couple of places with 1 yr old twins in tow so didnt really get a feel for the place, but have been left with an opinion of this area that isnt very good....thankyou for everyones opinions so far, and i welcome more ..whats it like where you are all living as anywhere in canada might be a compromise rather me refusing to go..lol xx

jaynie35uk Aug 24th 2015 5:38 pm

I have 5 children, 2 from a previous marriage who are 19 and 23 (who dont want to move to canada)and 3 with my canadian husband who are twins of 11 and a 9 yr old..

Oink Aug 24th 2015 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk (Post 11731685)
My husband wants to live on a reserve near sudbury..hes a native american and has family there...hes just been there with our 3 children for nearly a month and thinks it would be a better life for the kids, im not convinced so wanted others views on what they think of canada in general...(i know its not a reservation that most will be living on).. saying that he could leave his car open with loose change in it with no problem and it is a nice reserve..

He's romanticizing it. The cultural differences will be too great for you imo. There is so much discrimination of First Nations/Indian people plus, there are so many documented social problems on reserves. They are not places many outsiders would choose to live, let alone take their children there for an extended period of time. I think you’d just be exchanging one unhappy/discontented person for another.

christmasoompa Aug 24th 2015 5:49 pm

saying that he could leave his car open with loose change in it with no problem

I can do that in the UK, I leave my back door open too. I'm not sure how that's supposed to result in a better life for your kids tbh, especially given you'll be leaving their siblings behind.

Could you also go out there for an extended time i.e. a month as he has done, and see what you think before committing to anything?

dbd33 Aug 24th 2015 6:11 pm

My husband wants to live on a reserve near sudbury..hes a native american and has family there...hes just been there with our 3 children for nearly a month and thinks it would be a better life for the kids, im not convinced so wanted others views on what they think of canada in general...(i know its not a reservation that most will be living on).. saying that he could leave his car open with loose change in it with no problem and it is a nice reserve..My worry is the lack of variety, from what i see, its lakes and pine trees(northern ontario) where we live in england we are near the coast, close to the dales and not too far from the lake district, have castles and everything to hand...and my fear(maybe unfounded) is boredom and nowhere to go for a day trip etc..with everything being so far apart..BUT i really dont know as ive only been briefly and that was just travelling to a couple of places with 1 yr old twins in tow so didnt really get a feel for the place, but have been left with an opinion of this area that isnt very good....thankyou for everyones opinions so far, and i welcome more ..whats it like where you are all living as anywhere in canada might be a compromise rather me refusing to go..lol xx

I don't think your fear is unfounded and, unless you're homeless and about to lose your drug connection, I don't see how a reserve near Sudbury can offer a better life to your children than you have now. I think moving to Canada but off the reserve is a sensible compromise only inasmuch as, off the reserve, your children would have a shot at an education and healthcare.

Does your husband expect to work when living in Canada and, if so, as what?