Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motivations for emigration

Motivations for emigration

Old May 3rd 2007, 8:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motivations for emigration

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
I really enjoyed reading all of your comments in this thread, seems we all have so much in common.

Heres mine:

Push
Vicky Pollard and her buddies
Eat in / eat out price differences (can someone explain that)
£1.00 a litre of petrol
£2.50 a pint
£5.00 a pack of smokes
Yob CHAV Culture
Threat of Violence,
Reading about people dying becuase they are cold in the winter and can't afford to put their heating on

Pull
Tim Hortons Coffee, 60p for a large coffee, not the 2.00 for a similar one here at starbucks.
Tim Hortons Drive throughs on my way to work.
a buck for a nice plate of pasta at IKEA (seriously its good)
Collossus in Mississuga, its amazing
Canadas Wonderland
My yearly wine tasting beano around the Niagra region.
Eating out,
Outddors, - Conservation in Canada rocks so does camping with a camp fire.
Molson 24
Friendly people, we are very friendly, Diversity in people and culture
Good game of Hockey
Labour day weekend.
Fireworks at Ontario Place
Stompin' Tom" Connors: you know the words - Hello out there....
Regards

John
£2.50 a pint
£5.00 a pack of smokes

cheaper and better than Canada, innit?
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:32 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Interesting thread and good to see the different motivational factors.
Mine would be......

Push:

The UK never felt like home
Couldn't move up the property ladder
Was always planning my next trip (had about 4 vacations a year)
No chance of getting to the US
Constant stress

Pull:

Sense of belonging even when just on a fact finding mission
Sense of opportunity
Nice house
More accepting culture
A more laidback atmosphere

Someone said something to me the other day that I hadn't thought of before but I understood what he meant. He is Canadian born and bred and recently had his first visit to London. His observation was
"In London you are always walking over 'dead' people and it is always looking backwards. There is no focus on the future or where they want to get to, just where they have been..."

People moan about the lack of history in Canada compared to the UK, but I think it is more important to focus on where you want to go, not what has past, so I spose that was part of the pull....
Old May 4th 2007, 9:17 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

we are doing it so our kids can experince more space, different things the they would get to do here ,
they might seem crap reasons but we know a lot of people that have very happy lives in canada

oh just to add i never once learnt any shakespeare at school , , and it never did me any harm , and i doubt my kids not knowing it will harm them either
Old May 4th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deenailz
we are doing it so our kids can experince more space, different things the they would get to do here ,
they might seem crap reasons but we know a lot of people that have very happy lives in canada

oh just to add i never once learnt any shakespeare at school , , and it never did me any harm , and i doubt my kids not knowing it will harm them either
But how do you know it didn't do you any harm??? Look at your speelllinng

It's what you gain, that's the issue, not whether you can get by without it.

<... there are no chains so galling as the chains of ignorance—no fetters so binding as those that bind the soul, and exclude it from the vast field of useful and scientific knowledge. O, had I received the advantages of early education, my ideas would, ere now, have expanded far and wide; but, alas! I possess nothing but moral capability...>

Maria Stewart.

Last edited by steve666; May 4th 2007 at 9:46 am.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
<... there are no chains so galling as the chains of ignorance—no fetters so binding as those that bind the soul, and exclude it from the vast field of useful and scientific knowledge. O, had I received the advantages of early education, my ideas would, ere now, have expanded far and wide; but, alas! I possess nothing but moral capability...>

Maria Stewart.
Nice.

I like this too:

"Only the educated are free". Epictetus.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:00 am

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

But how do you know it didn't do you any harm??? Look at your speelllinng

It's what you gain, that's the issue, not whether you can get by without it.

Maria Stewart.

well my spelling is probably pants coz i have been up all night with a baby !!
Old May 4th 2007, 11:12 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
£1.00 a litre of petrol
£2.50 a pint
John
Well, gas is likely to be $1.50 a litre here over the summer if the worst predictions come to pass. When you're earning in CAD$ and driving a not very fuel efficient North American vehicle that's not really so different than UK.

A pint of Guinness, Cafferys etc downtown St. John's costs upwards of $7. That's 3 quid. I'd happily pay GBP 2.50 for a decent pint of beer.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

well my spelling is probably pants coz i have been up all night with a baby !!
See! If you'd have learned what it was like to look after a baby you wouldn't have had one! Instead you would have had a good night's sleep and be reading a good book
Old May 4th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sinope
Nice.

I like this too:

"Only the educated are free". Epictetus.
Another good one from him;

"If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked."

I tried that and kept being beaten up
Old May 4th 2007, 11:59 am

See! If you'd have learned what it was like to look after a baby you wouldn't have had one! Instead you would have had a good night's sleep and be reading a good book
lol i know !! what the hell was i thinking
Old May 4th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lol i know !! what the hell was i thinking
That's the problem, you weren't thinking!
Quick! Read some Shakespeare so you won't get pregnant again!

"I have given suck, and know how tender ‘tis to love the babe that milks me;
I would, while it was smiling in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this."
Old May 4th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's the problem, you weren't thinking!
Quick! Read some Shakespeare so you won't get pregnant again!

"I have given suck, and know how tender ‘tis to love the babe that milks me;
I would, while it was smiling in my face, have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and dashed the brains out, had I so sworn as you have done to this."
Car

Careful Steve! You will be had up for inciting violence!

Old May 4th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

i think the biggest pull for me has changed ,since reading this thread ,forget all that stuff i said about kids , open spaces etc , recreational tractors thats why im moving !!! and now i know you can ride in the bucket and buy the tow thingy it just dosent get any better.

is there a recreational tractor club whick gives you badges for your skip cap?
Old May 4th 2007, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edinburgh
is there a recreational tractor club whick gives you badges for your skip cap?
You don't have to join a club. Buy the tractor and it comes with hats, dog bandanas, the works.

btw, this picture was taken on April 7th. The next day I was chatting with a client in Kentucky about the weather and sent it to him.

"Y'all have John Deere up there? I thought you was all commies".
Attached Thumbnails Motivations for emigration-picture-088.jpg  
Old May 4th 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

ok the dog bandanas have made it even more attractive ,with the -20 bit tho i would expect a heated seat.

wasnt there a film made about a guy who went across the US in a john deer tractor ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.