Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motivations for emigration

Motivations for emigration

Old May 3rd 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motivations for emigration

My pushes and pulls are the same as everyone elses plus I worry about my daughter growing up in the UK which is a push and a pull because I think Canada would be more wholesome for her (and us).
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
My pushes and pulls are the same as everyone elses plus I worry about my daughter growing up in the UK which is a push and a pull because I think Canada would be more wholesome for her (and us).
That's interesting. I feel that I've let my children down a bit by making them grow up here (even though they did go home for the summers and for their gap years). Money's important but, perhaps, it shouldn't be everything.
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Money's important but, perhaps, it shouldn't be everything.
I would imagine that money is less important in Canada than in GB? The whole consumer thing is totally out of control over here - riots over clothes stores opening up, queuing 10 deep to get a celebrity endorsed shopping bag etc. Does this happen in Canada too?
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that money is less important in Canada than in GB? The whole consumer thing is totally out of control over here - riots over clothes stores opening up, queuing 10 deep to get a celebrity endorsed shopping bag etc. Does this happen in Canada too?
It's different in that Canada doesn't have fashion so there's no stampede to buy clothes or CDs. However, in the case of people moving from the UK, I think money is critical to the motivation. Canadian houses are cheap so people who move can buy more; not necessarily more of the same things but more land and lots of gas powered things; trucks, speed boats, skidoos, snowmobiles, ATVs and so on (what they unironically call an "outdoor lifestyle"). What's sacrificed for that is culture, history, family and appreciation of language so I think there's a case that emigration to Canada is the choice of the shallow and materialistic person.

<typed the owner of two SUVs and a recreational tractor>
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

really like the idea of a recreational tractor , do you hit the highway on it at weekends?
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by edinburgh
really like the idea of a recreational tractor , do you hit the highway on it at weekends?

Oh no, I just sit on it in the shed and stare down the bonnet imagining it to be a Lotus 7...
Attached Thumbnails Motivations for emigration-picture-017.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's different in that Canada doesn't have fashion so there's no stampede to buy clothes or CDs. However, in the case of people moving from the UK, I think money is critical to the motivation. Canadian houses are cheap so people who move can buy more; not necessarily more of the same things but more land and lots of gas powered things; trucks, speed boats, skidoos, snowmobiles, ATVs and so on (what they unironically call an "outdoor lifestyle"). What's sacrificed for that is culture, history, family and appreciation of language so I think there's a case that emigration to Canada is the choice of the shallow and materialistic person.

<typed the owner of two SUVs and a recreational tractor>

Well for me land and space and the ability to buy a house are big factors in moving to Canada. However, surely Canada has a very diverse culture (excepting the aboriginal peoples of course) so immigration from diverse cultures doesn't have an impact? Unless you mean people leaving their own countries are sacrificing their own culture and language which doesn't really apply to Brits anyway?

I am intrigued by the thought of a 'recreational tractor' too.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well for me land and space and the ability to buy a house are big factors in moving to Canada. However, surely Canada has a very diverse culture (excepting the aboriginal peoples of course) so immigration from diverse cultures doesn't have an impact? Unless you mean people leaving their own countries are sacrificing their own culture and language which doesn't really apply to Brits anyway?

I am intrigued by the thought of a 'recreational tractor' too.
I do mean that Brits give up their history and culture. That's not something people know they have until they come here and lose it, not that it's specifically a British problem. I know some Koreans, for example, feel the same way. In the context of children raised here I think it unfortunate, for example, that they have no appreciation of why old paintings and books have significance to people who haven't even seen the paintings or read the books. It's a subtle thing but raising children in the shallowness of Canadian society is, I think, an unfortunate trade for having more gadgets.

I don't think Canada has a diverse culture. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver include a diversity of cultures, the extent to which they could said to be Canadian is arguable, but most of the country is stunningly homogenous; it's easy to find people who have never seen anyone who is a different colour.

I realise, of course, that my points conflict to a degree, people in the cities likely haven't heard of, for example, Shakespeare, because he didn't write in their language and people in rural areas haven't heard of him because they don't get cable. A country with both immigrants and rednecks does have some diversity; however they're hundreds of miles apart and that's not diversity in the sense that India, for example, has diversity of languages and religions.

If you come for a bucket ride you'll understand how a tractor can be recreational. It's not a sexual position, honest!
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I do mean that Brits give up their history and culture. That's not something people know they have until they come here and lose it, not that it's specifically a British problem. I know some Koreans, for example, feel the same way. In the context of children raised here I think it unfortunate, for example, that they have no appreciation of why old paintings and books have significance to people who haven't even seen the paintings or read the books. It's a subtle thing but raising children in the shallowness of Canadian society is, I think, an unfortunate trade for having more gadgets.
Interesting viewpoint - I find myself once again agreeing with you up to a point, dbd, and then again.... I wouldn't expect the Canadian education system to instil a great affinity for British (or Korean, for that matter) history or culture. My view is that it's up to parents to promote an understanding and appreciation of the "old country" culture and history in their children.

I agree that there's a shallowness of society that lives for today and measures success largely by material possessions. However, Canadians are widely acknowledged on the world stage to be generous of their time and resources, environmentally conscientious, ready to volunteer in a crisis, and so on (at least as individuals, if not the Government) so there's possibly some sort of seeking for "goodness" as a replacement for culture and history going on.

Having said that, my children are too young yet to have started full time schooling so perhaps I'll revise my views and become more cynical over the next few years. In the meantime, I'll hang on to my (forlorn?) hope that we as parents can pass on some of our own cultural values to our kids in spite of the apparent shallowness of society. Somewhere I have a copy of Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare that I read as a youngster - that should get them going.
[but checking on Google I think we may have to wait a few years before subjecting them to the Victorian grammar - here's the first sentence, and paragraph, from Hamlet:

"Gertrude, queen of Denmark, becoming a widow by the sudden death of King Hamlet, in less than two months after his death married his brother Claudius, which was noted by all people at the time for a strange act of indiscretion, or unfeelingness, or worse: for this Claudius did no ways resemble her late husband in the qualities of his person or his mind, but was as contemptible in outward appearance, as he was base and unworthy in disposition; and suspicions did not fail to arise in the minds of some, that he had privately made away with his brother, the late king, with the view of marrying his widow, and ascending the throne of Denmark, to the exclusion of young Hamlet, the son of the buried king, and lawful successor to the throne."]
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Interesting viewpoint - I find myself once again agreeing with you up to a point, dbd, and then again.... I wouldn't expect the Canadian education system to instil a great affinity for British (or Korean, for that matter) history or culture. My view is that it's up to parents to promote an understanding and appreciation of the "old country" culture and history in their children.
I trust you understand that I only agree with my posts "up to a point"; there's no advantage in understating one's argument.

I suppose the problem I have is that, as far as I can see, the understandable lack of promotion of British culture in Canadian schools isn't balanced by a promotion of a Canadian, or any other, culture. Canadian culture is defined in the negative, it's simply "not American", and so there's a void. I suggest that "Canadian Idol" stands as the exemplar of things Canadian. American Idol is a massively successful American show based on a British one and it's widely watched in Canada. Canadian Idol is a lame local variation produced to comply with local legislation. It's like the American show but not so slick, sort of the Edmonton Oilers of TV shows. Canadians don't know who's on Canadian Idol and who wins doesn't much matter.

A move from being British to being Canadian seems to me to be a move from being at the heart of English based culture to being on the far fringe. On the other hand, to promote appreciation for the "old country" in one's children risks alienating them from their environment. That leads to them wanting to take their masters in Europe and send you the bill.
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately British children are learning less and less history these days. They also have much less exposure to Shakespeare and the classics. I wonder how much the average British child knows of the country's cultural past?

Any views?
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Unfortunately British children are learning less and less history these days. They also have much less exposure to Shakespeare and the classics. I wonder how much the average British child knows of the country's cultural past?

Any views?
And how many of them actually care!!

Will the youth of today mellow in their aged years and start to enjoy all that heritage on their doorstep or will these ornate buildings be transformed into discount shopping outlets and mega rave venues.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by printer
And how many of them actually care!!

Will the youth of today mellow in their aged years and start to enjoy all that heritage on their doorstep or will these ornate buildings be transformed into discount shopping outlets and mega rave venues.
That's not a choice anyone in Canada has to make.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I trust you understand that I only agree with my posts "up to a point"; there's no advantage in understating one's argument.
Of course - deliberate provocativeness is one reason I enjoy your contributions: if I thought you really believed some of the stuff you post I'd be worried for your grip on reality!

Granted, being "not American" is not enough to define a country - though it seems to serve well enough for the media. I agree, too, that CanCon rules do lead to ludicrous nonentities like Canadian Idol (the Edmonton Oilers of TV shows - like it!)

My kids will be quite at liberty to take their Masters in the UK so long as they are bright enough to win a Rhodes Scholarship...
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Granted, being "not American" is not enough to define a country
I find it ironic that so much of Canada tries to define itself by “not American” when to all intent and purpose it is so much like America its hard to tell the two apart..

In my opinion there are just a few subtle visual clues, the flag, the sport on TV and the brand of Coffee drunk… other than that if a stranger was just dropped on a street they would be hard pushed to tell which side of the border they were on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.