Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moral support needed!The padded cell returns!

moral support needed!The padded cell returns!

Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: moral support needed!The padded cell returns!

Originally Posted by Lapsed Canuck
Hi Babyblue. Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I guess I can only say hang in there and yes in a few years time you will laugh (and curse) about this experience. My friend came to England from Canada 16 years ago to nanny and had a very similar experience in London. She was treated like a skivvy, had no time off and no money to explore her 'new country'. She really was tempted to go home. But, she stayed and the next job she got was better and then she moved out of nannying into something completely different. She adores London now and has done very well for herself. But, it was hell for the first couple of years as she did feel very much like a prisoner with no opportunity to see/do anything. She also hated the spoilt nature of the children and the fact that all of the work she did during the day disappeared by the time she got up the next morning. I think it's down to luck what kind of family you get and it sounds like you weren't so lucky with yours.

I am also wondering what the hell is going on with kids or rather parents these days! Manners and rules just don't seem to be of priority! Do parents not realise anymore that it is their job to form these kids and that includes doing the tough stuff like discipline?! Or is there something else going on? I don't know but I was hoping it was just British kids....

I hope your sponsorship comes through very soon. Maybe just try to look at the job as a means to an end until you can find employers who will value you more - there must be some half decent, down to earth people in need of a good nanny out there! Take care.
Thankyou so much for the support. It sounds as though your friend worked for the same people! he-he!
I keep telling myself that things will get better. I am sure they will.
Sad really because as we both say, it is not the Kids fault. The parents over compensate all the time. These kids are awful at times and yesterday they get more gifts. I have tried to speak to the parents about it but it goes in one ear and out the other. I suggested keeping treats for reward good behaviour. I.e: Crafts etc.
Sad but these kids are a shinning example of todays society and it breaks my heart to see because they are not learning the basic moral values of life itself. Then we wonder why kids are in the headlines each day for shooting etc! Makes you wonder really! I know this is not the only factor , so please don't jump all over me. am intelligent to know there are other factors involved.
I was always firm but fair with my kids. They always knew who was boss and how far they could push me. but for the 6 year old boy to be so rude and obnoxious towards me just goes to show. Where is the parenting? Like you said in your post, When i leave work this all goes out the window.
anyway, i could rant about this all day but i have a washing machine calling me! take care
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Babyblue you couldn't of timed this thread better!

I havn't got health problems like others, I am greatful for that but the whole Immigration thing is getting me really down.

I am not nice to be around at the mo I get really irritated by the smallest thing and I feel so sorry for anyone who gets it.

Everything I felt was going smoothly with the process, so when we got our medical requests we where exstatic an added bonus was that we where flying to Calgary a week later for a reccie. We managed to book a medical in between then. We absoulutley loved Calgary and decided that is where we were going to live. We were hoping to get our PPR in time for Christmas but if not then January would be just fine. We booked our leaving do in December for the end of January so we could wave goodbye to our family and friends.

Well 3 months from our medicals we still havn't had our PPR what makes matters worse is the guys who had their meds a few months after us but have also had their PPR through! What the bloody hell are the CHC playing at, we are around a month away from exchange on our house, got bank accounts setup and planned our shipping. All we want to do is book our flights, give the shippers a date, quit our jobs that we are fed up with anyway and move out!

All the time we are waiting the housing market is going up and up in Calgary so the houses we are looking at on the net may not be affordable when we eventually land!

Anyway I do feel better for my little rant on here, best wishes to all on the forum I hope all your dreams come true.

Steve
Try contacting the doc who did your tests to make sure the paperwork was sent off! The contact CHC to find out whats going on - you should have heard something by now!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Babyblue you couldn't of timed this thread better!

I havn't got health problems like others, I am greatful for that but the whole Immigration thing is getting me really down.

I am not nice to be around at the mo I get really irritated by the smallest thing and I feel so sorry for anyone who gets it.

Everything I felt was going smoothly with the process, so when we got our medical requests we where exstatic an added bonus was that we where flying to Calgary a week later for a reccie. We managed to book a medical in between then. We absoulutley loved Calgary and decided that is where we were going to live. We were hoping to get our PPR in time for Christmas but if not then January would be just fine. We booked our leaving do in December for the end of January so we could wave goodbye to our family and friends.

Well 3 months from our medicals we still havn't had our PPR what makes matters worse is the guys who had their meds a few months after us but have also had their PPR through! What the bloody hell are the CHC playing at, we are around a month away from exchange on our house, got bank accounts setup and planned our shipping. All we want to do is book our flights, give the shippers a date, quit our jobs that we are fed up with anyway and move out!

All the time we are waiting the housing market is going up and up in Calgary so the houses we are looking at on the net may not be affordable when we eventually land!

Anyway I do feel better for my little rant on here, best wishes to all on the forum I hope all your dreams come true.

Steve
little fly in the corner says!
" don't worry, things will soon turn out for you and all your dreams will come true"

I totally agree with the stress and frustration you are experiencing. I went through the same anxiety. It felt like forever.If we can help relieve some of that stress then please vent the frustrations. It really does help!
I am here now and have been for nearly three years. It has flown by. Before you know it you will be Sitting in a garden, BBQ'n mouse and drinking Canadian beer.

good luck and take care
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
Thankyou so much for the support. It sounds as though your friend worked for the same people! he-he!
I keep telling myself that things will get better. I am sure they will.
Sad really because as we both say, it is not the Kids fault. The parents over compensate all the time. These kids are awful at times and yesterday they get more gifts. I have tried to speak to the parents about it but it goes in one ear and out the other. I suggested keeping treats for reward good behaviour. I.e: Crafts etc.
Sad but these kids are a shinning example of todays society and it breaks my heart to see because they are not learning the basic moral values of life itself. Then we wonder why kids are in the headlines each day for shooting etc! Makes you wonder really! I know this is not the only factor , so please don't jump all over me. am intelligent to know there are other factors involved.
I was always firm but fair with my kids. They always knew who was boss and how far they could push me. but for the 6 year old boy to be so rude and obnoxious towards me just goes to show. Where is the parenting? Like you said in your post, When i leave work this all goes out the window.
anyway, i could rant about this all day but i have a washing machine calling me! take care

Hi Babyblue

I've been following this thread and it got me wondering - when did you apply for PR? Does employment law not cover nannies in Canada - surely as an employee you must have some rights?
If you knew your PR was going to come through soon you could just walk out (but that would depend on savings, etc to keep you going until it came through)!

A friend of mine worked in London as a nanny years ago for a high-flying couple - she was supposed to be responsible for keeping the children's clothes and living space clean and tidy, but her boss would ask her to vacuum the house or do the ironing (for the whole family) just as she was leaving in the morning so Andrea couldn't argue with her or say no. She never got the breaks she was entitled to and ended up looking after 3 brats 24/7. One day, she got so fed up with all this that she called her mum in Ireland crying and her mum arranged for her to get a flight home - she arranged for someone else to look after the kids and packed her bags and left, leaving a note!! Says its the best thing she ever did!! Turns out they'd had loads of au pairs and nannies leave them prior to this.

I agree, I think society stinks the way they undervalue the carers of and those who raise tomorrow's adult generation - with half a brain people would realise that today's kids will be looking after us one day!!

Take care - go scream into a pillow, keep writing that chapter on revenge!! And start imagining their faces the day you leave and tell them what you really think of them!!!! Hehehe - love to be a fly on the wall for that one!!!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrishB
Hi Babyblue

I've been following this thread and it got me wondering - when did you apply for PR? Does employment law not cover nannies in Canada - surely as an employee you must have some rights?
If you knew your PR was going to come through soon you could just walk out (but that would depend on savings, etc to keep you going until it came through)!

A friend of mine worked in London as a nanny years ago for a high-flying couple - she was supposed to be responsible for keeping the children's clothes and living space clean and tidy, but her boss would ask her to vacuum the house or do the ironing (for the whole family) just as she was leaving in the morning so Andrea couldn't argue with her or say no. She never got the breaks she was entitled to and ended up looking after 3 brats 24/7. One day, she got so fed up with all this that she called her mum in Ireland crying and her mum arranged for her to get a flight home - she arranged for someone else to look after the kids and packed her bags and left, leaving a note!! Says its the best thing she ever did!! Turns out they'd had loads of au pairs and nannies leave them prior to this.

I agree, I think society stinks the way they undervalue the carers of and those who raise tomorrow's adult generation - with half a brain people would realise that today's kids will be looking after us one day!!

Take care - go scream into a pillow, keep writing that chapter on revenge!! And start imagining their faces the day you leave and tell them what you really think of them!!!! Hehehe - love to be a fly on the wall for that one!!!
Hi there

Well, to start with i came here under a caregivers programme. You have to complete 24 months employment before you can apply for PR. I have been battling this thing since very early on and i have attempted to resolve issues with the family several times. I was caught between a rock and a hard place because my son goes to school around the corner. I could change employers,but now it would not be worth the hassle as i would have to go through the sponsorship process again. It is a nightmare really. I have nearly thrown in the towel several times but then i knew i had nothing to return to in the UK and no money at all. I am very poorly paid and i literally go from paycheck to paycheck. It is extremely hard and because ie: have the responsibilities as a mother it makes things more complex.

Don't you worry! I am longing for the day when i can simply walk out that door. It can't come soon enough!
I will feel sad for the little one with special needs as he is a darling little angel and has come so far since i have worked with him. I know they will never get someone with the experience that i have to do this job for such a poor wage. I fear the care will be seriously compromised. He has seizures, stops breathing, tube fed via the stomach, medication, suctioning, nebulising. Physiotherapy. I do the lot!
I cook,clean the house,vacuum, bath the kids Mon and frid, do all the laundry,change the beds, water plants, do the homework, do crafts, take them to clubs, dentist etc. This is along side walking to school and caring for the special needs.
No way on earth would they ever get someone to do this job, 11 hours a day with no vehicle(whilst 2 vehicles leave the house in the morning and are parked all day at the local go station,2 blocks away).
this is almost historic behaviour, i am not a slave but yet i am treated as if i am. I also feel as if she looks down her nose at me. Like i am less a person doing this job.
If you read some of my past posts you will see the trials i have faced.
What does not kill you makes you stronger. I will be the strongest women by the time i finish this job.
I sometimes wish i could be more flippant about things and just walk out the door but i can't.
They are sailing off on a cruise tomorrow but i will be here all week looking after the children. Great for some!
My time will come, i am sure. But for now i am counting the days.
thanks for the support.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

Hi there

Well, to start with i came here under a caregivers programme. You have to complete 24 months employment before you can apply for PR. I have been battling this thing since very early on and i have attempted to resolve issues with the family several times. I was caught between a rock and a hard place because my son goes to school around the corner. I could change employers,but now it would not be worth the hassle as i would have to go through the sponsorship process again. It is a nightmare really. I have nearly thrown in the towel several times but then i knew i had nothing to return to in the UK and no money at all. I am very poorly paid and i literally go from paycheck to paycheck. It is extremely hard and because ie: have the responsibilities as a mother it makes things more complex.

Don't you worry! I am longing for the day when i can simply walk out that door. It can't come soon enough!
I will feel sad for the little one with special needs as he is a darling little angel and has come so far since i have worked with him. I know they will never get someone with the experience that i have to do this job for such a poor wage. I fear the care will be seriously compromised. He has seizures, stops breathing, tube fed via the stomach, medication, suctioning, nebulising. Physiotherapy. I do the lot!
I cook,clean the house,vacuum, bath the kids Mon and frid, do all the laundry,change the beds, water plants, do the homework, do crafts, take them to clubs, dentist etc. This is along side walking to school and caring for the special needs.
No way on earth would they ever get someone to do this job, 11 hours a day with no vehicle(whilst 2 vehicles leave the house in the morning and are parked all day at the local go station,2 blocks away).
this is almost historic behaviour, i am not a slave but yet i am treated as if i am. I also feel as if she looks down her nose at me. Like i am less a person doing this job.
If you read some of my past posts you will see the trials i have faced.
What does not kill you makes you stronger. I will be the strongest women by the time i finish this job.
I sometimes wish i could be more flippant about things and just walk out the door but i can't.
They are sailing off on a cruise tomorrow but i will be here all week looking after the children. Great for some!
My time will come, i am sure. But for now i am counting the days.
thanks for the support.
Cheeky beggars! They are so lucky to have you and unfortunately, it seems they will never appreciate you - as they didn't improve their behaviour after the last nannies left! You are doing WAY beyond a nanny's job and should feel proud of being able to hold it all together and still look after the kids properly. Most parents wouldn't be able to deal with all of it!

Hang in there.
Oh and use their phone alot for long distance calls before you leave...
Old Feb 17th 2006, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lapsed Canuck

Hang in there.
Oh and use their phone alot for long distance calls before you leave...
I can't use the phone alot becuase she deducts everything from me.I mean everything!
she squeeks as she walks!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 6:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, tight as a crabs shell and that's watertight.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

debiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud of

I can't use the phone alot becuase she deducts everything from me.I mean everything!
Do you have a job description. My Romanian friend had an au pair contract which I made her stick to . Start time ,finishing time ,things to do ,and I made sure she was with me or out when not on duty. It worked quiet well as her employer (who happened to be my friend also) came unstuck when she needed extra help due to illness and school holidays. It was a wake up call to her and I was happy to point out how unfair she was being.
Dont people realise that if you treat people right they usually respond and everybody wins.