Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moral support needed!The padded cell returns!

moral support needed!The padded cell returns!

Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moral support needed!The padded cell returns!

Sorry to hear about your cancer Steve, that must be tough for you. There's lots the Dr's can do nowdays though. I hope your treatment is successful.

debiharper - I'm almost all hung out, hanging in there LOL

As for my username. I enjoy crafts and I'm half Irish. I love a good yarn, including old myths and legends i.e. The Banshee (Irish wailing woman). Every good Irish family used to have one
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hangman
After reading all of the above it puts my own problems into some sort of perspective. I feel for all of you and not quite so sorry for myself now. So in a way thanks to all of you.

After giving it some thought I decided to share my story.

I am a 58 year old male.

I have been having regular annual check-ups with my family doctor for the past number of years and these check-ups include a PSA count included in the blood work and a digital rectal examination (DRE) of the prostate.

Up until March of last year these tests have been normal, then the PSA count was elevated so another blood test was done three months later which was still elevated. So off to see the urologist in July who decided we should wait another six months and see if the PSA count would come down.

Test done early December still no change so prostate biopsy ordered. Biopsy done January 5th results back January 18th, I do have prostate cancer. Saw urologist January 24th and discussed options and now have a surgery date of March 14th for a Radical Prostatectomy.

Spent three hours at the Pre-operative Assessment Clinic yesterday and now have an appointment of March 2nd for a Thallium Stress ECG in order to determine if the mild angina I have been experiencing of late will require any intervention or change in medications before they can go ahead with the prostate surgery.

So men if you are over 50 make sure you have that annual check-up along with the PSA count. It is important!!!!!!!

Best regards.
Steve
good luck steve have sent some k....hmm i know a guy in his 30's just had lrp....take care
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:47 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annie3-4
here is my rant...
i own a nursing agency and have (had) a business partner who owns a 30%share in the business. i started the business ten years ago from home with a £500 grant and have worked like crazy. Now it turns over 1.2 miliion p.a. Just discovered my so called business partner has stolen around £500k out of the business and I am looking at around 80,000 in legal fees. he is virtually bankrupt and it doesnt look like I will get anything back. except the satisfaction of seeing him go to prison. This guy is an ex barclays Bank manager and I trusted him implicitly and thought he was a friend. I feel totally betrayed and I feel as if I have lost everything I have worked for.Having a good cry now but tomorrow I come out fighting!!!
Wow... how low can some people go? What a slime ball.

I hope you nail him good!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
My brother, who is the same age as you, went through the same thing about 18 months ago. He's off skiing at the moment, if that makes you feel any better.

At what age is one meant to start getting tested?
Thanks, it does. I also have at least three friends who have gone through it and are all doing extremely well.

I am not really concerned about the outcome in fact I'm very positive about that. It's just every now and again a little voice creeps in and says what if? Or I start with wasn't the heart problem enough, now this. It is only for a second or two then I give my head a shake and get on with it

They say testing should start around age 50, at least that's what my GP told me.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by babyblue
Just need a little moral support so i brought the padded cell back.
For those that are new...
The Padded cell is a safe place to offload all your wows of the day. The only thing in the room is a little fly in the corner. Happy little fellow that with be an inspiration in your time of need.

I am not asking for people to feel sorry for me as this was my choice in the beginning. I just needed to off load.
It helps to get it off your chest.

Feel free to offload and have your say about anything.
The little fly in the corner is here to help....
Hi Babyblue. Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I guess I can only say hang in there and yes in a few years time you will laugh (and curse) about this experience. My friend came to England from Canada 16 years ago to nanny and had a very similar experience in London. She was treated like a skivvy, had no time off and no money to explore her 'new country'. She really was tempted to go home. But, she stayed and the next job she got was better and then she moved out of nannying into something completely different. She adores London now and has done very well for herself. But, it was hell for the first couple of years as she did feel very much like a prisoner with no opportunity to see/do anything. She also hated the spoilt nature of the children and the fact that all of the work she did during the day disappeared by the time she got up the next morning. I think it's down to luck what kind of family you get and it sounds like you weren't so lucky with yours.

I am also wondering what the hell is going on with kids or rather parents these days! Manners and rules just don't seem to be of priority! Do parents not realise anymore that it is their job to form these kids and that includes doing the tough stuff like discipline?! Or is there something else going on? I don't know but I was hoping it was just British kids....

I hope your sponsorship comes through very soon. Maybe just try to look at the job as a means to an end until you can find employers who will value you more - there must be some half decent, down to earth people in need of a good nanny out there! Take care.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, it does. I also have at least three friends who have gone through it and are all doing extremely well.

I am not really concerned about the outcome in fact I'm very positive about that. It's just every now and again a little voice creeps in and says what if? Or I start with wasn't the heart problem enough, now this. It is only for a second or two then I give my head a shake and get on with it

They say testing should start around age 50, at least that's what my GP told me.
hmm if prostate cancer is in the family then as early as mid 30's is what i understood.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

After reading all of the above it puts my own problems into some sort of perspective. I feel for all of you and not quite so sorry for myself now. So in a way thanks to all of you.

After giving it some thought I decided to share my story.

I am a 58 year old male.

I have been having regular annual check-ups with my family doctor for the past number of years and these check-ups include a PSA count included in the blood work and a digital rectal examination (DRE) of the prostate.

Up until March of last year these tests have been normal, then the PSA count was elevated so another blood test was done three months later which was still elevated. So off to see the urologist in July who decided we should wait another six months and see if the PSA count would come down.

Test done early December still no change so prostate biopsy ordered. Biopsy done January 5th results back January 18th, I do have prostate cancer. Saw urologist January 24th and discussed options and now have a surgery date of March 14th for a Radical Prostatectomy.

Spent three hours at the Pre-operative Assessment Clinic yesterday and now have an appointment of March 2nd for a Thallium Stress ECG in order to determine if the mild angina I have been experiencing of late will require any intervention or change in medications before they can go ahead with the prostate surgery.

So men if you are over 50 make sure you have that annual check-up along with the PSA count. It is important!!!!!!!

Best regards.
Steve
Steve,

FWIW my 72 year old father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer the day after I landed in Canada in 2004. He was able to have radiation treatment and a 'reboring' op that (cross fingers) has completely resolved the situation and continues to lead a normal life. Radical Prostatectomy is a more involved procedure but again people lead full and fulfilling lives afterwards. You certainly have the right attitude to get through it.

I'm 37 and have suffered from chronic prostratitus for 4 years or more so have had and will continue to have regular PSA tests although chronic prostatitus does not lead to cancer. It does make me very sensitive (no pun intended) to anything related to that area!

Best of luck.

AX

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Feb 16th 2006 at 6:07 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmm if prostate cancer is in the family then as early as mid 30's is what i understood.
Yes I was only thinking of men with no family history when I mentioned the 50 figure.

I had heard 40 for those with early diagnosed prostate cancer in the family, and mid thirties is certainly not too early as far as I'm concerned.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
That was going to be my next question. I'm due for a cholesterol test (long overdue, to be honest). I think I'll ask for a combo.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I know peeps have much bigger problems and I try and keep things in perspective i.e. we have a roof over our heads and jobs etc. but the last year has been tough in many ways. We've also had problems with family re. our emigration. You find out who your friends are for sure Hopefully, we won't have to wait much longer now.
I personally wouldn't minimize the affect of family problems, they have a way of twisting into your head in a way that's difficult to ignore. I've had a few problems in my life but they usually get solved or go away or whatever. My family problems are constant and it's just now at 38 years of age that I'm figuring out how to deal with them (I'm a slow learner ).
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

That was going to be my next question. I'm due for a cholesterol test (long overdue, to be honest). I think I'll ask for a combo.

good for you....good luck
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:20 pm

I know what you mean. I share that sentiment.

Still, sorry to hear about the cancer Steve.

My dad had something done with his prostrate. I'm actually not sure if it was cancer, now that I think about it, but his treatment was 20 years ago and though he now has other serious health issues, his prostrate is not one of them.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I personally wouldn't minimize the affect of family problems, they have a way of twisting into your head in a way that's difficult to ignore. I've had a few problems in my life but they usually get solved or go away or whatever. My family problems are constant and it's just now at 38 years of age that I'm figuring out how to deal with them (I'm a slow learner ).

If I said the MIL from hell would you understand? 'cos she has shown negative aspects of human nature I didn't know existed before now. I will stop before I get wound up again
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, I didnt have high chloresterol til I moved to flaming Canada. Mutter, mumble, complain etc etc.

...ackershally I probably had high chloresterol before I moved here but it was one of the routine tests my new GP did here. When I got a high reading they jumped all over it with medication and diet advice. Mind you living as I do in Canada's most obsese province I fit right in!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:26 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
If I said the MIL from hell would you understand? 'cos she has shown negative aspects of human nature I didn't know existed before now. I will stop before I get wound up again
Tell me about it!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.