Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For the Mac Users

For the Mac Users

Old Nov 21st 2004, 2:32 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the Mac Users

So does everyone here who posts on this thread agree that Macs ARE better than PC's?

thought so...
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:01 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ksct97
So does everyone here who posts on this thread agree that Macs ARE better than PC's?

thought so...
Nae Danger are MACS better. A big MAC is better with large fries, that I will agree on.

There is nothing better than the raw power of a Pentium 4 processor running at 3GHZ, disecting all of your information.

I personally have never used a MAC, so to be honest I can not agree nor dis-agree whether they are better.

BUT, and there is always a BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Having spoken to a few folk about them, a few of them actually agreed that they would have preferred to spend their pennies on a proper PC, not something that is brightly coloured and they all seemed to think MACS were very limited in their upgrade potential.

NOW Willmore do not get upset that most folk think the MAC is better with large fries, we are all entitled to our own opinions. ( HEHEHEHE )

SO TO CAP IT ALL I PREFER A BIG MAC WITH LARGE FRIES

My useless tuppence worth

Eddie
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Nae Danger are MACS better. A big MAC is better with large fries, that I will agree on.

There is nothing better than the raw power of a Pentium 4 processor running at 3GHZ, disecting all of your information.

I personally have never used a MAC, so to be honest I can not agree nor dis-agree whether they are better.

BUT, and there is always a BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Having spoken to a few folk about them, a few of them actually agreed that they would have preferred to spend their pennies on a proper PC, not something that is brightly coloured and they all seemed to think MACS were very limited in their upgrade potential.

NOW Willmore do not get upset that most folk think the MAC is better with large fries, we are all entitled to our own opinions. ( HEHEHEHE )

SO TO CAP IT ALL I PREFER A BIG MAC WITH LARGE FRIES

My useless tuppence worth

Eddie

Oh pleeeeeeeease Eddie come on now lets get real - the Apple G5 is acknowledged world wide as being the ‘fastest’ there is (clock speed aint all there is to it dude).

I have used both Mac and PC – originally a Mac user from ‘the beginning’ I was given a PC laptop about 15 years ago – and to me the PC was so cumbersome after the Mac ‘desktop’ it just wasn’t true. But I admit a couple of my ‘younger’ engineers preferred the PC portable to the Mac portable so I guess, to some extent, its ‘horses for courses’.

However, I just can’t imagine an experienced Mac user (not just a game player) voluntarily moving across to a PC and I can’t quite see how it can be said a Mac is limited in its upgrade potential as very few users actually need to upgrade. But if you do want to – change the drive or add an extra drive (internal or external) with little or no requirement for system software updates (and see all your drives on the desktop and not have to call one ‘C’ and the others ‘whatever’) then just plug it in or lift the lid and plug it in, its sooooo easy – to increase memory, just open the lid shove it in and its done soooooo easy – same with an upgrade video or comms cards – its just sooooo easy with a Mac.

But I'm pleased we both agree that we prefer to sit at a “Mac with a large fries� at dinner time so we can 'surf' and eat at the same time (very careful edit and quote there Ed please forgive) and you can’t say that about a PC now can you so we got ya beat there too aint we eh eh.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by macmike41
Oh pleeeeeeeease Eddie come on now lets get real - the Apple G5 is acknowledged world wide as being the ‘fastest’ there is (clock speed aint all there is to it dude).

I have used both Mac and PC – originally a Mac user from ‘the beginning’ I was given a PC laptop about 15 years ago – and to me the PC was so cumbersome after the Mac ‘desktop’ it just wasn’t true. But I admit a couple of my ‘younger’ engineers preferred the PC portable to the Mac portable so I guess, to some extent, its ‘horses for courses’.

However, I just can’t imagine an experienced Mac user (not just a game player) voluntarily moving across to a PC and I can’t quite see how it can be said a Mac is limited in its upgrade potential as very few users actually need to upgrade. But if you do want to – change the drive or add an extra drive (internal or external) with little or no requirement for system software updates (and see all your drives on the desktop and not have to call one ‘C’ and the others ‘whatever’) then just plug it in or lift the lid and plug it in, its sooooo easy – to increase memory, just open the lid shove it in and its done soooooo easy – same with an upgrade video or comms cards – its just sooooo easy with a Mac.

But I'm pleased we both agree that we prefer to sit at a “Mac with a large fries� at dinner time so we can 'surf' and eat at the same time (very careful edit and quote there Ed please forgive) and you can’t say that about a PC now can you so we got ya beat there too aint we eh eh.
hehehe...I'm So glad you're around. They're not only picking on me here but in The Lounge as well, and I'm not anywhere near as knowledgeable as you are.

Don't forget the ketchup for those extra large fries!!!!!

Last edited by willmore; Nov 22nd 2004 at 12:53 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:44 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by willmore
hehehe...I'm So glad you're around. They're not only picking on me here but in The Lounge as well, and I'm not anywhere near as knowledgeable as you are.

Don't forget the ketchup for those extra large fries!!!!!
Having a long chat with the Mac guy at work, (who spent all night sleeping outside the new Mac store in London, so he could get to buy goodies at a discount prices when it opened) the honest answer is Windows/Linux/Mac/Solaris are no easier to use. What does matter is what you get used to. For example I always type "ls" when I want a directory listing, because I am so used to unix type command shells, having to type "dir" in DOS is no longer obvious for me. Likewise I always miss the Explorer file manager (not the internet browser) from Windows when working on a Linux desktop. Also the point of Apples being faster, not much use when there aren't as many top lines games for the Mac that can use that speed, nor are Apples designed as Servers so again that speed is wasted. For example my laptop is a 800Mhz Sony, quite old now, but runs Windows fine, can play DVDs send emails etc, so speed is not important as long as it's fast enough for purpose.

Last of all the pricing point for Apples is high, as they are better built, and because they are produced in smaller quantities than PCs you don't get the economies of scale.

Willmore: trying to find an up to date photo to scan, didn't get a chance yesterday as I was putting my PCs back together after building one for my step father, and having to use parts from mine.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=SirTainly]Having a long chat with the Mac guy at work, (who spent all night sleeping outside the new Mac store in London, so he could get to buy goodies at a discount prices when it opened) the honest answer is Windows/Linux/Mac/Solaris are no easier to use. What does matter is what you get used to. For example I always type "ls" when I want a directory listing, because I am so used to unix type command shells, having to type "dir" in DOS is no longer obvious for me. Likewise I always miss the Explorer file manager (not the internet browser) from Windows when working on a Linux desktop. Also the point of Apples being faster, not much use when there aren't as many top lines games for the Mac that can use that speed, nor are Apples designed as Servers so again that speed is wasted. For example my laptop is a 800Mhz Sony, quite old now, but runs Windows fine, can play DVDs send emails etc, so speed is not important as long as it's fast enough for purpose.

Last of all the pricing point for Apples is high, as they are better built, and because they are produced in smaller quantities than PCs you don't get the economies of scale.

mmm....very suspicious - why are you being so nice about this? Just can't trust these software engineers.....something's in the wind and I don't think I like it.......
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Just can't trust these software engineers.....something's in the wind and I don't think I like it.......
Charming.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:21 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

mmm....very suspicious - why are you being so nice about this? Just can't trust these software engineers.....something's in the wind and I don't think I like it.......
I really don't want to know about your wind problems!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 1:31 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970

Eddie
i quite like the fact that you and the majority of the world are PC-inclined... as long as there's enough mac users for the company to keep on making them, and have enough money for research, development and wotnot... being in the minority means on the one hand that macs aren't designed for games (ok with me... don't play games on my mac), prices are fairly high due to lack of competition with this type of computer (just something we'll have to put up with, at least we know they "shouldn't" be scrimping on parts, assembly etc...)... but ont he other hand, this constant fight with PCs means apple have to be more innovative in the hardware and software side to compete, and we all feel there improvements firsthand, rather than have to wait for our PC friends to catch up, and we're not targeted by viruses due to te small numbers of mac users versus PC users (though having said this, i feel oneday soon, some Mac-angst person is gonna write a virus which will infect all our machines just because... )

so, thanks for liking PCs so much... though i'ld rather have my MAC (without the fries...)
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 1:38 pm
The Green Engine

i feel oneday soon, some Mac-angst person is gonna write a virus which will infect all our machines just because...
I may have an evening free next week

Personally I have no problems with viruses on my PC either, but then I run Linux. Which I pay nothing for but know it's as innovative as anything else, and is upgraded every day, I don't have to wait for a monolithic corporation to make a release. Plus I know the Linux kernel is written by experts rather than licenced. (the latest Mac OS being BSD Unix repackaged)

ksct97 do you use your Mac for work, if so what field are you in?

Last edited by SirTainly; Nov 22nd 2004 at 1:43 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 1:50 pm
Invisi... K

Originally Posted by SirTainly

Personally I have no problems with viruses on my PC either, but then I run Linux. Which I pay nothing for but know it's as innovative as anything else, and is upgraded every day, I don't have to wait for a monolithic corporation to make a release. Plus I know the Linux kernel is written by experts rather than licenced. (the latest Mac OS being BSD Unix repackaged)

ksct97 do you use your Mac for work, if so what field are you in?

<call me K, everone else does >
if i was to stop using OSX for something else right now, it too would be linux... have done a bit with it in the past and liked it though a bit fiddly when you don't know all the commands!

yeah, i use a mac at work... apart from the usual stuff like office, i use photoshop and lots of biologically-inclined software programs... science is full of mac users, and those that write nice little programs for us scientists to use, use a mac (obviously)...
it's horses for courses... i know my way around a computer to be literate enough, but an expert... not really...
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 1:53 pm
Invisi... K

that wasn't asking me out was that?!!!

hey where in cambridgeshire you from? i lived and grew up in cambridge, so even if its a village, will have probably heard of it!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 2:06 pm
The Green Engine

that wasn't asking me out was that?!!!

hey where in cambridgeshire you from? i lived and grew up in cambridge, so even if its a village, will have probably heard of it!
Well I wasn't...did you want me to ?? ?

I live in Chatteris, which is way out in the Fens!

Until recently I worked for a BioInformatics company (in Histon), and all the Scientists there were card carrying unix people. I think largely that has to do with the fact that the software was a) old b) had academic roots, and so was pre modern desktops.

Wow born within 3 days of each other too

Last edited by SirTainly; Nov 22nd 2004 at 2:16 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 2:18 pm
Invisi... K

Well I wasn't...but if you are free next week...

I live in Chatteris, which is way out in the Fens!

Until recently I worked for a BioInformatics company (in Histon), and all the Scientists there were card carrying unix people. I think largely that has to do with the fact that the software was a) old b) had academic roots, and so was pre modern desktops.

Wow born within 3 days of each other too
bloody hell that is a bit freaky... you didn't go to school did you in cambridgeshire and play a bit of rugby?...

the fenland... well you know what they say about you fen people!!!

BTW... yeah, all bioinformatic people i know use linux/unix too... especially those using those SG machines, although nowadays they are using a pc shell, but running linux/redhat
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 2:29 pm
The Green Engine

bloody hell that is a bit freaky... you didn't go to school did you in cambridgeshire and play a bit of rugby?...

the fenland... well you know what they say about you fen people!!!

BTW... yeah, all bioinformatic people i know use linux/unix too... especially those using those SG machines, although nowadays they are using a pc shell, but running linux/redhat
I'm not actually from Cambridgeshire, but I went to school in Lincolnshire. Yes I did play rugby for my school (Stamford School).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.