Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just how bad is the UK?

Just how bad is the UK?

Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:16 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just how bad is the UK?

Originally Posted by Tangram
Really do get tired of the Brit Bashing which goes on in here sometimes - seems to come a lot from either people who had a two week holiday in Canada or people complaining about the amount of immigrants in the UK. It really does surprise me as one of the first things you see upon arrival in say Toronto airport is every black 'limo cab' driven by an Asian ( who probably has more qualifications than I do !

Keep those red and white sunglasses in your bag when you finally arrive I say.
I agree. Britain is a great place and the Brits have a great culture and are wonderful people, especially their friendliness, pragmatism and sense of humour (of which I'm, unfortunately, devoid).
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Canada2006
I think that's fab! It's a great example of cultures that mix and provide something that's really unique. I imagine a lot of the people had an 80% Canadian culture, so very integrated, and 20% something a bit more interesting.

I'm more and more looking forward to coming to Canada. BTW, my OH feels a lot like this. She's 3rd gen Polish, but the family still has about 20% Polish culture and is trying to hold on to the language. OH's generation don't speak Polish, but grandma (Babja) has made sure the 4th generation do!

On a culture theme and I can remember my aunt in Cumbria asking my eldest son whats it like living in a country that you learn and speak in English and French(she is a French teacher).

He replied I speak three languages English, French and Ottawa Valley?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:50 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hudd
On a culture theme and I can remember my aunt in Cumbria asking my eldest son whats it like living in a country that you learn and speak in English and French(she is a French teacher).

He replied I speak three languages English, French and Ottawa Valley?
That's great! Does he find it difficult integrating back into uni-lingual England?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Well I feel relatively secure in the fact that as of yet.. the only two official languages that Govt signs/literature is published in Canada is French and English.
That's not so. These are the information lines for information about services in the city of Toronto:

Language Lines

English 416-392-8623
Chinese 416-397-7383
Farsi/Persian 416-392-2987
French 416-397-7385
Polish 416-392-4225
Portuguese 416-397-7381
Russian 416-397-0123
Somali 416-397-7384
Spanish 416-397-7382
Vietnamese 416-397-1787

The feds favour English and French but some publications are offered in "English, French, Chinese, Farsi, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog and other languages".

I am just infuriated by the lack of respect shown for countries heritage and culture
Apart from the aboriginal population and connections to foreign countries what heritage and culture do the people in Canada have?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

That's great! Does he find it difficult integrating back into uni-lingual England?
He is now 13 and he is very good at languages. His teacher is gives him more work in French and doing work of 15 year olds. He will take German next year and I am trying to convince him to learn Chinese. This I think will be useful for him especially if he goes into the global business world.

The kids at secondary school found his accent "cool" and were interested in Canada. He did a presentation at school about living in Canada as they seem to want children to learn about other countries/cultures.
He has nearly lost he accent. Our 11 year old boy still says many Canadian words and plays uni hockey at school(he has a Canadian school teacher who runs a club). So he has brought some Canadian sport to an English school.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
So Canada is simply a piece of land to be marked out and turned into a copy of the home country?

That's not immigration, that's colonisation.

K.
A copy of many home countries, yes.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by kt0157
But at the same time, it's a question of intent: is there an intent to become Canadian and subscribe to the core values of Canada as a country?
Good God, No!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:11 pm
C'est correck

He is now 13 and he is very good at languages. His teacher is gives him more work in French and doing work of 15 year olds. He will take German next year and I am trying to convince him to learn Chinese. This I think will be useful for him especially if he goes into the global business world.

The kids at secondary school found his accent "cool" and were interested in Canada. He did a presentation at school about living in Canada as they seem to want children to learn about other countries/cultures.
He has nearly lost he accent. Our 11 year old boy still says many Canadian words and plays uni hockey at school(he has a Canadian school teacher who runs a club). So he has brought some Canadian sport to an English school.
I think Chinese will be very useful. The Americans are all sending their kids to Chinese language classes. It takes a lot of learning, so best to start now
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think Chinese will be very useful. The Americans are all sending their kids to Chinese language classes. It takes a lot of learning, so best to start now
As you know China one day will be the largest market for business and I know a few business people who spend much time in China. China will be a big investor in British companies in a few years, just like now with India starting to invest now in the UK. So Chinese will be a good second/third language.

My cousin learnt Japanese at University and works in Japan.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:23 pm
C'est correck

As you know China one day will be the largest market for business and I know a few business people who spend much time in China. China will be a big investor in British companies in a few years, just like now with India starting to invest now in the UK. So Chinese will be a good second/third language.

My cousin learnt Japanese at University and works in Japan.
It's pretty hard to work in Japan - very nice people though. They love kids and always stop in the supermarket to look at my daughter.

I had a lecturer who was a Belgian who lived in Japan. Very nice guy. He said that Asia as a whole was crying out for managers - but language is an issue if you want to go and live there. He was looking out for jobs for us!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You like garbage ? It's all about the garbage, man.

Back in the (Y)UK our former council has started fining peeps who put their garbage out too early. Bin men are on strike and rubbish litters the streets, people wander around awash in flying wind-blown black bin bags, paper, food wrappers, and wander the puke-covered streets amid dog crap and old ladies wigs etc. The bin man take a crew of eight overweight moody skinheaded knuckle-dragging slobs to do their rounds, and refuse to take anything not on their standard list of carriageable items. The only thing I'd hand them at Christmas was a lit banger wrapped in dog turds.

Here one pays a tax to the City who proffer the services of one man, yes, just one man, who drives around hoppiing merrily from his dump cart and collects pretty much anything you wish to dispose of, within reason. Large 5 foot square card board boxs, old carpets, appliances (small ones), dead pets etc. Then the same crewman comes around to collect the recycleables too. It's all very civilized, like most things Canadian, and if anything is blowing around in the wind he'll endeavour to capture it and put it in the dump cart. It's all about having to be efficient and in the respect of garbage Canada has the winning deal.

You can measure a nation by it's garbage, IMHO Canada wins easily, 8/10 versus 3/10.

For the sake of your garbage, never go back.

Rich.

Our garbage guys are RUBBISH!!!

I'd get too depressed if I listed all the problems we've had with them but it all boils down to the fact that they're a private contractor, have their deal sown up for another two years, and are doing as little as possible.

God I hate our garbage guys - I am depressed now.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good God, No!
I think there you have a source of strife. Only goes to reinforce the views of the miserable bastards I came across (who confided in me because I was white and English and therefore must agree with them) that there too many "Chinese"*, they should all go "home", etc.

Having said that, Canada is by no means unique in having miserable racist bastards complaining about immigrants. The postie turned up today to relay a "joke" about how wonderful it would be if all the immigrants repaid the benefits received (and the legendary "free houses, TVs, and cars" etc.) and went back home. Of the 400,000 immigrants from Eastern Europe who have turned up in the UK, just over 400 are on benefits. Rather fewer than the feckless locals methinks. I suspect if they went back, having got back all the tax they have paid, the Chancellor woud be in serious trouble.

K.
*Many of whom are fifth, sixth or seventh generation Canadians, descendants of the people who Came to Canada to build the transcontinental railway.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

carpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud ofcarpenters has much to be proud of

But yeah, there are lots of immigrants in Canada as witnessed by how many British members frequent the Canadian board here (and thats just one wee island!) so it's not a good idea to move abroad if you dont want foreigners, you'll be surrounded by them *lol*

I think the main immigration difference is (IMO!) that Canadians are welcoming to foreigners so long as said foreigners are willing & enthusiatic about joining/appreciating the Canadian culture/way of life... I was horrified to see government signs in English and arabic.. is it called erdu or am I making that up?? And no I am NOT racist before anyone jumps on that band wagon! My first words to my OH was "Are we in England, home of the English language, or are we in little India?!" Canada had 2 official languages, French and English, either or can request/recieve literature in both or one language... I dont feel ANY other language should be on government buildings and literature.. thats what embassies are for! That may sound harsh but it's not meant that way... it's about retaining cultural identification and I think it takes the p*ss for someone to move to another country and demand to have everything in English, Swahili or whatever language they're comfortable with!
Well said! Sorry Canada2006 I have to agree that I don't think it does anything for integration & community if immigrants expect to have everything in their own language rather than make the effort to learn the language of the new country & try to fit in. There is absolutely no need for anyone to lose their cultural identity in doing so - I think a mix of cultures is a fantastic thing. Sadly if people move to a new country but don't bother to learn the language, stay in their own little cliques and don't attempt to integrate, this really gets the locals' backs up & this is when xenophobia/racial tension breeds. Plus wow must it be isolating for them, they must miss out on so much. Can't understand why the British Gov't didn't introduce a need for basic English skills for immigration... may have prevented alot of the mess we now find ourselves in....!!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:53 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by carpenters
Well said! Sorry Canada2006 I have to agree that I don't think it does anything for integration & community if immigrants expect to have everything in their own language rather than make the effort to learn the language of the new country & try to fit in. There is absolutely no need for anyone to lose their cultural identity in doing so - I think a mix of cultures is a fantastic thing. Sadly if people move to a new country but don't bother to learn the language, stay in their own little cliques and don't attempt to integrate, this really gets the locals' backs up & this is when xenophobia/racial tension breeds. Plus wow must it be isolating for them, they must miss out on so much. Can't understand why the British Gov't didn't introduce a need for basic English skills for immigration... may have prevented alot of the mess we now find ourselves in....!!

I would have agreed with you five years ago, but I've seen the effect of negatively trying to force integration. It doesn't work. You need to make the learning of English a postive non-coercive experience. You get a better long term integration and less cultural animosity.

The long term goal is for all immigrants to learn the language of their adoptive country, but it has to be within the right context and in a positive light.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 8:10 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

I would have agreed with you five years ago, but I've seen the effect of negatively trying to force integration. It doesn't work. You need to make the learning of English a postive non-coercive experience. You get a better long term integration and less cultural animosity.

The long term goal is for all immigrants to learn the language of their adoptive country, but it has to be within the right context and in a positive light.
So if English or French is not so important then why does the Canadian Immigration Process rate it so highly and award a lot of points for it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.