Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just how bad is the UK?

Just how bad is the UK?

Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:36 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just how bad is the UK?

Originally Posted by Daedra
7?!??! :scared:

Ahh I'm niave about the other areas of England, only really hang out up norf in Bury... but yeah, if Bristol is like that then I can see how it would be less of a chore and more profitable (as dont kid yourselves, the recyclers DO make a profit on collecting our rubbish!) to do it that way then having umpteen bins to remember who does what where LOL!
Bury was the first council in the Uk to introduce wheelie bins...;

.. a few years later they introduced a second wheelie bin which was green for recyclables....

... and then put the contents of this bin onto the same landfill site as the black bin....

That's Bury.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

sharonl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ki76
I know we're not Britain bashing but I feel I should spring to the defence of it at this point...

Yes, we are excited about leaving, yes, I think Canada has much more to offer us at this stage in our life and yes, I do believe that Canada has a lot more positives than the UK and a future that seems to be viable and realistic.

However..... we do have a lot to be proud of and I for one will be sad to leave these things behind:

Our history and historical buildings (ok so I know we probably have 'peaked' and history is not going to build our future but it's there nonetheless)

Our humour - so varied, so cheeky, so me...

Funnily enough, our one off documentaries and dramas - don't seem to find better ones in other places but that could just be me... and I really do appreciate these (luckily i'm not a TV addict so I can live without the rest easily LOL)

Variety of clothing for all shapes and sizes - I do fear for anyone who is a size 6 or size 18+ (UK) in Canada unless you want to live in 'old women' style clothing or teenage fashion when you're in your 30s. It's not superficial to want to want to dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable about yourself and dressing for your shape helps that and yes, all hail to be able to slob about (cos Lord knows I do) but everyday, no.

European influence - eeeeek, yes I know, but it has helped shape who we are and also I just love the idea of being able to pop over to one of my fave cities (Paris)

Little villages and all that goes with them, old churches, weird little fetes, village halls etc.

Home cooked food and good choice in supermarkets - I don't know enough about the Canadian food to make a comparison so I won't. When we ate out over there it was great but have yet to experience home cooking on the new turf

These are not reasons to stay in the UK, and obviously, we have chosen to make a new life somewhere else but, as much as I am saddened to see our national identity being wiped out from under us, the future being in doubt for many of our young people (in terms of getting a well paid job, a home and general security), high crime levels and the ever increasing threat of no future for the old people either (pensions etc.) I am proud to be British and am grateful to have been born into this country - without it (or may I add my fab family and friends) I would not have my humour, my sense of identity or the knowledge that there are better places out there and there are also worse.

I agree with everyone here who has said that you need to visit and see for yourself - I think you will see just how much you appreciate Canada and that you have chosen the best path but maybe it will also remind you that the things that are great about Britain are still there in abundance but they are not necessarily the things that should keep you in a country.

My hubs and I may not want to live here but I am sure glad we came from here in the first place...

Good luck and hope I can remember this thread when I am having bouts of homesickness!!

Ki

just have to say great write up!!

husband just got a job offer out in moose jaw going jan 07, me and the tiddlers staying put until things sorted a bit more definate. i am swinging between excitement at the prospect and feeling sick cos as you say uk is all that but we have chosen to make the move, it is just soooooooo scary and what ifs....
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:45 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sharonl

husband just got a job offer out in moose jaw going jan 07, me and the tiddlers staying put until things sorted a bit more definate. i am swinging between excitement at the prospect and feeling sick cos as you say uk is all that but we have chosen to make the move, it is just soooooooo scary and what ifs....

Best of luck with your move - I feel excited for you!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:46 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Bury was the first council in the Uk to introduce wheelie bins...;

.. a few years later they introduced a second wheelie bin which was green for recyclables....

... and then put the contents of this bin onto the same landfill site as the black bin....

That's Bury.
LOL!!! Shouldn't laugh really as thats quite sad... but OMG! LOL! In the same landfills?!

I know that our blue bins were actually going to recycling plants because drive on St Jeans Blvd (just north of Hwy 220) and there's a big building that has the same recycle arrowy sign out front & big trucks driving up into.... they look like they're making a tidy profit too if you check out the car park and all the shiny new cars parked there
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:48 pm
C'est correck

LOL!!! Shouldn't laugh really as thats quite sad... but OMG! LOL! In the same landfills?!

I know that our blue bins were actually going to recycling plants because drive on St Jeans Blvd (just north of Hwy 220) and there's a big building that has the same recycle arrowy sign out front & big trucks driving up into.... they look like they're making a tidy profit too if you check out the car park and all the shiny new cars parked there
Look at how much more efficient Canadian administration is than British councils
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:51 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonl

Sharonl, it'll be easier on you and the kids if you make friends near where your family will relocate, I think thats one of the easiest ways to get over homesickness (which dont kid yourselves, everyone will get at SOME stage and to varying degrees!) and you're on the right website to find them!

I am still incredibly relieved that there are so many British ex-pats frequenting this site (Our Canadian expat equivalent has maybe 1 new post per week if we're lucky! Shite really in comparison!) so when my Brit hubby and I do relocate back home (for me, not him obviously) I can subtely introduce the expat Brits I've made friends with here to him so he can chat about footie and bacon butties with them to help the homesickness LOL!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:58 pm
C'est correck

Sharonl, it'll be easier on you and the kids if you make friends near where your family will relocate, I think thats one of the easiest ways to get over homesickness (which dont kid yourselves, everyone will get at SOME stage and to varying degrees!) and you're on the right website to find them!

I am still incredibly relieved that there are so many British ex-pats frequenting this site (Our Canadian expat equivalent has maybe 1 new post per week if we're lucky! Shite really in comparison!) so when my Brit hubby and I do relocate back home (for me, not him obviously) I can subtely introduce the expat Brits I've made friends with here to him so he can chat about footie and bacon butties with them to help the homesickness LOL!

Est-ce que hubby parle le Français?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
After over 5 years in Canada without a trip back to the UK, we're thinking about a vacation going back "home".

To be honest ... our big concern is that we'll like it better than Canada!!

Anyone care to comment??
Hi,

A lot has changed in the past 5 years. There has been a lot of free labour movement into the UK due to the open European Gates. The influx has been quite alarming for the locals in some areas, with a lot of support services ie Doctors, Schools, Housing and Government Coffers struggling to cope with the increasing (daily) demand on them. What I will say, and feel free to correct me if your area differs to the one I describe, but my area and the National newspapers are my main points of reference, is that I have noticed that my City center seems to have different languages being spoken on every corner, to the point where I feel a stranger in my own country.

Not all areas are the same, but with ever increasing taxes on everything to pay for the added burden, there are a lot less smiles to be found on the streets. I think everyone is feeling the pinch, and I can only see it getting worse for those of us who are desperately looking for a better run for our money. Roll on getting our visas and getting outta here!

I may be tempted back for a visit, or the odd funeral once I leave, but to come back for a Holiday? NO WAY ! :scared:

Sorry to give you a rather gloomy synopsis. Anyone else agree?
Cheers Stef
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

non!!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:03 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by Stephanie McLachlan
Hi,

A lot has changed in the past 5 years. There has been a lot of free labour movement into the UK due to the open European Gates. The influx has been quite alarming for the locals in some areas, with a lot of support services ie Doctors, Schools, Housing and Government Coffers struggling to cope with the increasing (daily) demand on them. What I will say, and feel free to correct me if your area differs to the one I describe, but my area and the National newspapers are my main points of reference, is that I have noticed that my City center seems to have different languages being spoken on every corner, to the point where I feel a stranger in my own country.

Not all areas are the same, but with ever increasing taxes on everything to pay for the added burden, there are a lot less smiles to be found on the streets. I think everyone is feeling the pinch, and I can only see it getting worse for those of us who are desperately looking for a better run for our money. Roll on getting our visas and getting outta here!

I may be tempted back for a visit, or the odd funeral once I leave, but to come back for a Holiday? NO WAY ! :scared:

Sorry to give you a rather gloomy synopsis. Anyone else agree?
Cheers Stef
Can't agree less. Immigration into the UK is great for everyone and is really helping economically. Multilinguallity and multi-culturalism are enhancing for everyone - without Asian shops, where would I buy pak-choï???

Taxes are going up because New Labour has put a lot of money into public services. You don't feel the impact because they haven't made the necessary structural reforms.

You'll hate Canada, it's full of immigrants. 20% of Vancouver is from Hong Kong for example. Moreover, Canadian health and education services are suffering from the same structural problems as the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:03 pm
Senile Member

Il parle français et l'allemand aussi! Bein plus intelligent que mois *lol*
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:05 pm
C'est correck

Il parle français et l'allemand aussi! Bein plus intelligent que mois *lol*

Wow ca c'est vâchement impressionant! L'Alemand est hyper dur - je ne suis jamais arrivé. Il devrait être super unique à Bury!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

i am so anti social .. lol i know i am so going to do the whole make friends stay at home mum thing which is really exciting nice part , but giving up my job ahhh well i will definatly keep on here as youre right need to do the whole footie, rugby, beer chats curry nights and take the p...s out the mancs!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:15 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Go on then, I'll say it.

Canada is better than the UK.

.. to my mind anyway as it stands right now as long as nothing in my life changes etcetcetc and I reserve the right to change my mind if and when I get there

Point that's not been made yet I don't think is how 'new' the country is outside of the cities. Not everyone's cup of tea, but in Canada you can find real wilderness as opposed to something that's been developed on by 4 or 5 seperate civilisations to some degree. Which I love.

The counterpoint to that is the fact you're likely to have little time off work to spend in it but life is full of little compromises.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:20 pm
Senile Member

Can't agree less. Immigration into the UK is great for everyone and is really helping economically. Multilinguallity and multi-culturalism are enhancing for everyone - without Asian shops, where would I buy pak-choï???

Taxes are going up because New Labour has put a lot of money into public services. You don't feel the impact because they haven't made the necessary structural reforms.

You'll hate Canada, it's full of immigrants. 20% of Vancouver is from Hong Kong for example. Moreover, Canadian health and education services are suffering from the same structural problems as the UK.
I get the feeling Canada2006 is trying to hog Canada all for himself LOL!!!

But yeah, there are lots of immigrants in Canada as witnessed by how many British members frequent the Canadian board here (and thats just one wee island!) so it's not a good idea to move abroad if you dont want foreigners, you'll be surrounded by them *lol*

I think the main immigration difference is (IMO!) that Canadians are welcoming to foreigners so long as said foreigners are willing & enthusiatic about joining/appreciating the Canadian culture/way of life... I was horrified to see government signs in English and arabic.. is it called erdu or am I making that up?? And no I am NOT racist before anyone jumps on that band wagon! My first words to my OH was "Are we in England, home of the English language, or are we in little India?!" Canada had 2 official languages, French and English, either or can request/recieve literature in both or one language... I dont feel ANY other language should be on government buildings and literature.. thats what embassies are for! That may sound harsh but it's not meant that way... it's about retaining cultural identification and I think it takes the p*ss for someone to move to another country and demand to have everything in English, Swahili or whatever language they're comfortable with!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.