Reload this Page >

John Smiths Bitter

John Smiths Bitter

Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire Bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default John Smiths Bitter

Hi,

We are moving to Calgary in February and my husband is fretting about not having his beloved drink to comfort him.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Calgary that sells it for under $50 a case?

Thanks x

Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Smiths Bitter

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Bird
Hi,

We are moving to Calgary in February and my husband is fretting about not having his beloved drink to comfort him.

Thanks x

I very much doubt it. North American "beer" does not cost much less than $50 a case
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I very much doubt it. North American "beer" does not cost much less than $50 a case
Depends where you live. A 24 is about half that here.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

And where is here? He is willing to travel......god how bad does that sound?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Depends where you live. A 24 is about half that here.
I live in Calgary, the OP was asking about Calgary

24 bottles of North American "beer" (Bud, Kokanee etc) will set you back anywhere from $34 to $38 plus taxes plus deposits.

Whilst $50 is a fair bit more, knowing how a premium is paid for most things non-north american over here, I think the OP will struggle to pay less than he is suggesting
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

My question was not about north American 'beer'. It was about John Smiths Bitter
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

jazzy77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yorkshire bird,..

How much time did it take for your immigration process.I suppose u applied as a federal skilled worker.?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

We have applied on a TWP then will sort the residency during the duration of the permit.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My question was not about north American 'beer'. It was about John Smiths Bitter
Decent bitter wil be found, bottled or canned, in some liquor stores. It will be pricey. Some bars/pubs will sell it on draught. Avoid it. It'll be damaged from the journey and chilled to death. This, I'm afraid to say, is the price you pay for moving to Canada.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

WE used to live near the brewery. Haven't found it here- but haven't looked excessively hard. My OH makes do with Big Rock brewery stuff.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I just find it hard to believe anyone would actually miss John Smiths. I seem to recall from my Student Daze in yorkshire that it was awful bloody stuff, worse even than Tetleys.

Now, Sam Smiths, that was a different thing altogether....
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Decent bitter wil be found, bottled or canned, in some liquor stores. It will be pricey. Some bars/pubs will sell it on draught. Avoid it. It'll be damaged from the journey and chilled to death. This, I'm afraid to say, is the price you pay for moving to Canada.

I must agree with Souvenir (however, I'm sure others on this forum will chirp in disagreeing) on this one.....english bitter is best consumed in the UK. There are some decent made in Canada bitters (Wellington County Ale and some other micros) and some lagers that are non-swill (Beaus from Vankleek Hill and Creemore) and in Alberta anything from Big Rock Breweries has been top notch for me.

The Pacific NW and New England are meccas for beer...it ain't all Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz in the US of A.

Canada isn't all Labatts Blue and Molson Canadian drinkers despite what the stats say.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks x

I pay approx. $2.40 for a 500ml can in Ontario. Sam Smiths and Black Sheep beers are also available in bottles. There are plenty of micro-breweries around that make beers that are on a par with these.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 12th 2008 at 7:10 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I just find it hard to believe anyone would actually miss John Smiths. I seem to recall from my Student Daze in yorkshire that it was awful bloody stuff, worse even than Tetleys.

Now, Sam Smiths, that was a different thing altogether....
Amen to that brother.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

in response to iaink on " bloody awful stuff" you must be a southerner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.