Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

John Smiths Bitter

John Smiths Bitter

Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: John Smiths Bitter

Originally Posted by dbd33
Anyone near to Oakville should give Cameron's beer a go, that's a quality independent.
OMG....dbd, I actually agree with you there. Cameron's Audurn Ale has become my 'go to' beer...now if only they sold it at the Kirkland Boutique in QC...I'm sure it would be cheaper there than Ontario prices.

Are non-hyphenated Canadians allowed to know about Cameron's.

Anywhere in southern Ontario where it is on hand pump?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by adele
Yep, had some Sam Smiths in Manchester just over a week ago - best value beer in the world!
)
Is Holt's still available in 0161..that was a good beer...and cheap too.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, had some Sam Smiths in Manchester just over a week ago - best value beer in the world!

Great thread, I'm a Yorkshire lass and real ale lover it has made me realise how much I'll miss the selection of English beers when I move! I do remember finding some decent alternatives in Van before though, from Granville Island brewery for example.

I'm off to Sainsbury's in a bit to buy some food for my little birthday gathering tomorrow, might have to get some bottles of beer in as well - only 5 weeks til I leave to need to have some whilst I can! :-)
All of this talk of beer has forced me to go to my local LCBO and partake in their offerings.

We could even start a thread on fish and chips but that would be pointless because everyone knows that the best fish and chips come from West Yorkshire (and not Harry Ramsdens).
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:24 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Bird
Hi,

We are moving to Calgary in February and my husband is fretting about not having his beloved drink to comfort him.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Calgary that sells it for under $50 a case?

Thanks x

Some of the micro breweries do superb ales and bitters.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Is Holt's still available in 0161..that was a good beer...and cheap too.
Yes! I was also in the Ape and Apple in Manchester drinking Holts on the aforementioned day! I tried a pint of bitter and then a bottle of Thunder Holt. It wasn't my choice of pub I admit. I was with a mate from Norway and he wanted to go there - it was full of old men! He saw some people he knew and we joined them, soon found myself surrounded by Blues fans (there was a home match that night against PSG)
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Happy birthday Adele.
Thank you!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnh009
All of this talk of beer has forced me to go to my local LCBO and partake in their offerings.

We could even start a thread on fish and chips but that would be pointless because everyone knows that the best fish and chips come from West Yorkshire (and not Harry Ramsdens).
Aaah yes, something else I'm going to miss (not that I have them often - but when I do...)
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah yes, something else I'm going to miss (not that I have them often - but when I do...)
Not being funny but you'll be eating the finest fish on the planet in Canada. Man i miss pacific salmon.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Not being funny but you'll be eating the finest fish on the planet in Canada. Man i miss pacific salmon.
I'm sure it'll be great, but it'll have to be amazing to beat fresh local Norwegian salmon eaten in the fjords - the finest fish I've tasted

In my previous comment I was referring to the world of fish and chips - and I've found the best in that category to come from Yorkshire, in my experience so far anyway (it's a batter thing, we're good at making it from practising with Yorkshire puddings)

I am looking forward to eating pacific salmon though
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Cameron's Audurn Ale has become my 'go to' beer...

Anywhere in southern Ontario where it is on hand pump?
Try The Winking Judge - honestly one of the best locals I've had the pleasure to frequent anywhere for as long as I can remember. It gets consistently good writeups from the region's beer 'zines, no TVs, a nice mix of people, and of course damn good beer :9

They have Fullers fairly regularly, (although I was always more of a Youngs fan when I lived in SW London), and Arkell was a welcome surprise to find on my first visit (that, and seeing Delerium Tremens and Speckled Hen on tap made me realise this place was pretty special...)

Definitely worth a trip if you're in the area.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:29 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, nostalgia!

Most of my favourite (well, local and easily quaffable) beers from my youth have either ceased to exist or been industrialised and ruined, it seems. I cut my teeth, as it were, on the Dorchester Brewery ales (Thomas Hardy Ale, Dorchester Bitter), used to really enjoy the Bishop's Tipple from Gibbs Mew in Salisbury before it was emasculated and brewed under license somewhere else. The Morland Brewery in Abingdon and Morrells in Oxford saw me through student days - OSH has already been mentioned in this thread but isn't the same as it was now it's industrially brewed by Greene King. And for a really evil morning after, the Hobgoblin from Brakspear in Henley was hard to beat. That's now brewed by Wychwood in Witney, so at least still sort-of independent. My parents' local in Hampshire was a Gales pub until their purchase by Fullers, and the brewery closed just as we were moving to Canada in 2006. Home ale there is now Badger, whose Tanglefoot is a decent pint...

One of my all-time favourites, though, is (or was last time I checked) still going strong. The Hook Norton Brewery's output was probably my first ever taste of real ale, when (aged about 8) I swiped my dad's pint from the cricket pavilion when he went in to bat in a Sunday game. He was probably back in the pavilion before the end of the over, but that was long enough for me to have drained what was left in his glass!