Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

John Smiths Bitter

John Smiths Bitter

Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Smiths Bitter

Originally Posted by iaink
Yep, it just about survived the trip to the other side of town and up the Otley Road to the Three Shoes where it was the (default) pint of choice, but beyond that...not so much! I dont ever recall finding a good pint of tetleys outside of Leeds come to think of it...

When were you there? I was there 1988-1995. Most of it spent in the three shoes or the Original Oak it seems
I spent a considerable amount of time in the original oak and the Skyrack 1990-1991. Lived in Meanwood, did M.Sc at Leeds. Taught by Terry Cousens and some old sexist geiser who used to talk about foundations for his washing line for his wife. Just mentioned them as they might have taught you
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:03 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I'm a Midlander and I believe it tastes like a cross between cold tea, suds, and sheep piss.

R.
LOL

I am also a midlander

Good luck in either getting John Smiths or finding an alternative
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Bird
in response to iaink on " bloody awful stuff" you must be a southerner
I am not a southerner.

John Smith's bitter is truly vile especially the chemical keg version.

In a country full of good real ale why would anyone drink it
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

Since Smiths and Worthingtons started with creamflow and smoothflow I now find it drinkable
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Went to get a bottle of wine from the LCBO in Kanata yesterday and found that they stocked Marstons Pedigree in bottles... Never thought I'd see that here at all.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by compchris
Went to get a bottle of wine from the LCBO in Kanata yesterday and found that they stocked Marstons Pedigree in bottles... Never thought I'd see that here at all.
I drank a lot of that last weekend. In a mate's garage. I fear that he's gone crazy in the colonies because the garage looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails John Smiths Bitter-picture-390.jpg   John Smiths Bitter-picture-391.jpg  

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 13th 2008 at 1:29 am.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by markan
Since Smiths and Worthingtons started with creamflow and smoothflow I now find it drinkable
Guiness hold the patent for the "widget", if this is the same thing as creamflow:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question446.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_(beer)

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 13th 2008 at 1:33 am.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gryphea
WE lived near both John Smiths and Sam smiths and John Smiths is always considered an inferior mass produced pint
Interesting that Sam Smiths is Yorkshire's oldest brewery:

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5.../samsmith.html
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I just find it hard to believe anyone would actually miss John Smiths. I seem to recall from my Student Daze in yorkshire that it was awful bloody stuff, worse even than Tetleys.

Now, Sam Smiths, that was a different thing altogether....
I am from Leeds and the problem I always found with Tetleys was that it varied so much from pub to pub. It was at it's worst when served around room temperature.

Sam Smiths was always classed as (and priced as) a premium beer, at least in relation to John Smiths.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 13th 2008 at 1:38 am.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Sam Smiths was always classes as (and priced as) a premium beer, at least in relation to John Smiths.

Sam Smiths still sells for around £1.30 a pint in most of their pubs.

the cheapest beer in the UK.

G
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:15 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How about Woodforde Wherry....a norfolk brew that was rightly champion beer on more than a few occasions. One of the best things about my stay in Norwich was the quality of the beer in that part of the world...Who knew! I certainly didnt, as far as I was concerned Yorkshire was the mother of all good beers...till I moved out to Norwich anyway.

Old Specled Hen too was another decent local(ish) pint, and seems to travel pretty well too.
Hear, hear, Iain. (I do love a beer thread!)

I spent a couple of years in Norfolk, right out in the sticks. Still have a house there, actually. One of the best things about it was the local pub in the village, a proper timbered local, fire on in the winter... and the most beautiful pint of Woodforde's Wherry you can imagine. Oh God, I'm drooling.

Anyway, here in my bit of west Calgary I can get London Pride for $2.50 a can, and Old Speckled Hen for the same price. When Pride and the 'Spotty Chicken' are sold out, I can (just about) get by on the Wells IPA - but it's not nearly as good. My local offy also has Boddingtons and Tetleys, all about $2.50 for a 500ml can.

Time for a Pride, methinks...
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:44 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I drank a lot of that last weekend. In a mate's garage. I fear that he's gone crazy in the colonies because the garage looks like this:
He's not been back to the UK since the 60's has he?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

yorkie lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Bird
Hi,

We are moving to Calgary in February and my husband is fretting about not having his beloved drink to comfort him.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Calgary that sells it for under $50 a case?

Thanks x

Tell your other half not to worry about his beer, as has already been said, there are other beers here that are pretty good......anything from Rickards should more than suit his tastes.
Coming from Yorkshire aswell, I enjoy a nice pint of bitter and Rickards Ale is spot on.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire Bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I will pass on all your comments to my hubby.

I have enjoyed following the conversations. Am new to the forum and was the first post I made.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yorkie lad
......anything from Rickards should more than suit his tastes.
Isn't Rickards just Molson Export with food colouring added to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.