Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

John Smiths Bitter

John Smiths Bitter

Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Smiths Bitter

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sam Smiths still sells for around £1.30 a pint in most of their pubs.

the cheapest beer in the UK.

G
Yep, had some Sam Smiths in Manchester just over a week ago - best value beer in the world!

Great thread, I'm a Yorkshire lass and real ale lover it has made me realise how much I'll miss the selection of English beers when I move! I do remember finding some decent alternatives in Van before though, from Granville Island brewery for example.

I'm off to Sainsbury's in a bit to buy some food for my little birthday gathering tomorrow, might have to get some bottles of beer in as well - only 5 weeks til I leave to need to have some whilst I can! :-)
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire Bird is an unknown quantity at this point

after all this talk of ale,,, anyone been to the calgary beer fest
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Decent beer. Sigh. One of the prices of moving of (this part of) Canada was giving up "real ale". Worse still the Newfoundland Liquor Corp carries a very tiny range of decent beer - Old Speckled Hen is about the limit of it and thats not a session beer IMHO.

You folks in ON and NS at least have more choice. In the LCBO Can I commend "St Peter's Organic Ale' brewed in Bungay, Suffolk. I have a bottle from my last trip to TO which sadly I'm saving for Christmas.

I share the popular opinion of John Smiths. Also anyone remember the much that was 'Websters Yorkshire'? Yeuch. I'm a southerner/East Anglian so along with Woodefords Wherry, I mainly miss Adnams. Oh no I really do something rotten. Now I'm all depressed.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sam Smiths still sells for around £1.30 a pint in most of their pubs. the cheapest beer in the UK.
I was never aware of any difference in price drinking it in Bristol. Lovely pint, but really no cheaper than decent alternatives.

But beer in Bristol was never cheap. I remember getting a pint and a ploughman's in a pub in Preston in 1980 for less than I was paying for the beer alone in Bristol.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was never aware of any difference in price drinking it in Bristol. Lovely pint, but really no cheaper than decent alternatives.

But beer in Bristol was never cheap. I remember getting a pint and a ploughman's in a pub in Preston in 1980 for less than I was paying for the beer alone in Bristol.
Sam Smiths prices according to distance from brewery. All sam smiths pubs are local I think and therefore sell cheap ale.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Sam Smiths prices according to distance from brewery. All sam smiths pubs are local I think and therefore sell cheap ale.
We had Courages Brewery in Bristol but it was no cheaper than other beers, other than the ordinary Bitter.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:58 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
Isn't Rickards just Molson Export with food colouring added to it.
As far as I know, yes.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink

When were you there? I was there 1988-1995. Most of it spent in the three shoes or the Original Oak it seems
I graduated in 94 (so 91-94)... did Animal Physiology and Nutrition. I have fond memories of the Original Oak too, and also the Packhorse.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Bradford and spent many an evening in the pub.
Bingley was a good night out too - Smiths (Sam), Tetley (I like it!), Stones (ok now and again) and Timothy Taylors Landlord. Yum yum yum.
Followed of course by a chicken curry and chapatis. Those were the days.
Spent few years around Burton so have fond memories of Bass and Marston's pedigree.
Now (responsibilty/kids kick in), Pedigree in bottles, Speckled Hen and the odd tin of Bass at home in moderation. But I noticed the Bass I had the other night had been beefed up to 5 or 6% - weird! I like my beer as it should be - 4%.

I even like Red beers now.

And beer is so easy to chill - just put them outside for not too long and they are the perfect temperature!

PS Never liked John SMiths either - yuk
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

I share the popular opinion of John Smiths. Also anyone remember the much that was 'Websters Yorkshire'? Yeuch. I'm a southerner/East Anglian so along with Woodefords Wherry, I mainly miss Adnams. Oh no I really do something rotten. Now I'm all depressed.
Hoped it wouldn't but now it's been mentiond, the mighty Websters that is. I seem to remember it resembling a cross between vinegar and drain cleaner but I would still take it over lager. Being a Cumbrian lad, there's a couple of decent ales. Doris 90 being one from Hesket Newmarket.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
I'm off to Sainsbury's in a bit to buy some food for my little birthday gathering tomorrow, might have to get some bottles of beer in as well - only 5 weeks til I leave to need to have some whilst I can! :-)
Happy birthday Adele.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
He's not been back to the UK since the 60's has he?
You should see the room next to that one, all 1600s stuff; swords, guns, blankets, trading beads - I wondered if I'd get TB.

Anyone near to Oakville should give Cameron's beer a go, that's a quality independent.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

We seem to have loads of good beers round here, a lot of the pubs brew their own too
Real ales were the one thing I thought I'd miss and so far haven't. I do wish they'd not over-chill some of them though, would improve the flavour.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
I graduated in 94 (so 91-94)... did Animal Physiology and Nutrition. I have fond memories of the Original Oak too, and also the Packhorse.
Oh yes. I spent time in the packhorse and the Eldon and the other one beginning with F
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We had Courages Brewery in Bristol but it was no cheaper than other beers, other than the ordinary Bitter.
I know but Sam Smiths is run by Humphrey and he is a sort of old fashioned autocrat. He owns half of Tadcaster and he decided the rules of all things to do with his pubs, eg no music etc. He delivers locally by drey and still has quite old fashioned things like painting apprentices (unusual for a firm of his type) Locals either love him or hate him as he does dictate policay somewhat in Tadcaster, ie he owns most of the shops and he decides whether or not he tenants them based on the kind of shops he wants to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.