Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

View Poll Results: How popular is the English accent?
Extremely popular
23.81%
Very popular
30.95%
Fairly popular
23.81%
Occasionally popular
11.90%
Never popular
2.38%
Unpopular!
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

When travelling in the UK I don't usually get comments on my accent except, "would you like a vat receipt?"
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
An other example my sister (who I was not close to) was visiting a cousin in Ottawa. She phones me here in Calgary and wants to know if I can come for tea some afternoon. She was shocked when I told her it was a only a three day drive as long as I didn't stop other than to eat or gas up.
Yeah similar experience with a relative of mine who was thinking of going to Toronto, I was like, er... two time zones away.

Or another classic is that Europeans always think the main city in a country is the capital. "What's the capital like?" Like, everyone must have spent time there and have a solid idea of what it's like.

In fact I seem to recall there was a half-baked couple on here who got PR status with the idea of moving to Ottawa, got there without ever having visited first and went home after two weeks.

I would say that was a case of being completely half-soaked to go to all the trouble of getting PR status without having even visited or having a clue about the country, but a somewhat distant relative of mine did the same thing, decided to be a truck driver and live in Moose Jaw, moved without ever having visited. Lasted the summer, didn't last the winter.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Yes, heard that scenario a few times! The other annoying one is where Canadians think England = all of the UK and vice versa. Don't they teach geography at school here?
It is confusing though. A coworker here in the US once asked me to explain the difference between the terms "UK", "GB", "Britain", "British Isles", etc. Sometimes "Britain" means "UK" and sometimes it means "GB". And it doesn't help when the UK Olympic team has "GB" on their vests (official name of the team is "GB & NI"...so why not just use "UK"?). I've been asked why there is an all-Ireland rugby team but two soccer teams. I've been asked why the UK has 4 national soccer teams.

Now I just send people to something like this:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sourc...74535432998193
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If they get that sophisticated, I can remember someone asking me if Scotland is near Britain.

But let's face it, most British people act as though Northern Ireland is another country.

I know you're from NI, but the average "British" person imx cannot name three towns in Northern Ireland.

But how is it more complicated than having ten provinces with two official languages? Or fifty States? To date no-one has been able to explain to me why there is a Miss Puerto Rico or Miss Guam in the Miss World competition. And Puerto Rico has its own Olympic team.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But how is it more complicated than having ten provinces with two official languages? Or fifty States?
Er..I think it is much more complicated.

I think most people understand the concept of INDIVIDUAL countries being divided into provinces/states and having multiple official languages. Most people know that these are contained within a single country like Australia, Canada or the US.

The concept of the UK is definitely much more confusing. What confuses many people is whether the UK is one country or four. Many are confused by the fact that England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are referred to as countries - even though they are also parts within a country known as the UK. Many are confused by the difference between the terms UK, GB, Britain, etc.

People born in NI are considered "British" citizens even though NI is not part of Great Britain (it is part of the UK). The term "Britain" is often used to mean the UK so that's probably why the nationality is termed "British". The official name of the country is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Yet the UK Olympic team official name is "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - but the athletes wear "GB" on their vests instead of "UK".

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to explain this to people. I understand it completely but others naturally find it harder to understand and REMEMBER. It is certainly not as easy to understand and remember as the concept of provinces, states or multiple official languages. Those are a piece of cake in comparison.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point

I always find this a useful and humorous way to explain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:58 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Er..I think it is much more complicated.

I think most people understand the concept of INDIVIDUAL countries being divided into provinces/states and having multiple official languages. Most people know that these are contained within a single country like Australia, Canada or the US.
I don't think it's any more complicated than a Federal system to understand. In essence it now is a Federal system since devolution.

Compared to Canada with ten provinces, three territories, two official languages it's easier to understand.

The UK is a country divided up into smaller countries, it's just they're called countries instead of States. Although most people call NI a province.

I think it's more a case of people making it sound complicated, by saying "I'm English" or "I'm Scottish" instead of "I'm British". Canadians rarely say they're an "Albertan" for example, not when talking to a foreigner at any rate.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Irri
I always find this a useful and humorous way to explain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
Mmm, but if you go into that much depth, then the American comparison would be this:

The US consists of the 50 States, DC and various territories. Anyone born in the US is a US citizen under the jus soli rule in the 14th Amendment, except for territories (mainly American Samoa) which do not have an organic Act of government. People born for example in Puerto Rico are US citizens by Act of Congress. Everyone gets to vote, unless you live in a territory, then you can't vote in Federal elections except the primaries. And people in DC can only vote for President in federal elections through a constitutional amendment.

Although people commonly think you have to be born in the US to be President (thanks to Donald Trump), in fact you need to be a natural-born US citizen, so you can be born abroad and still be President because you can inherit citizenship from your parents at the moment of birth. Hence John McCain was eligible for that reason, not because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone, because the PCZ was a US territory without an organic Act of government at the time he was born.

A person born in America Samoa is a US national, not citizen, American Samoa decided this was best to stop US citizens buying up land on the island. So to be a US citizen they have to naturalized. However all US citizens are also US nationals.

There is another level of US nationality, a person who was a citizen of the former Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, they were given US citizenship but some refused, so they are known as citizens of the former TTPI.

Also some former US territories (such as Palau and Micronesia) have what is known as a "Compact of Free Association" with the US and can automatically obtain work authorization in the US and travel there, etc.

So as a result American Samoa and Puerto Rico have their own Olympic teams, national teams in various sports etc., although they are part of the United States.

Also, some American Indians are LPRs at birth, not citizens, because they are born in Canada and are LPRs under the Jay Treaty. Most American Indians became US citizens because of treaties with the US, but some not associated with any band did not, and were granted citizenship in 1924 under Act of Congress (they are not recognized under the 14th Amendment).

How is that any less confusing?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought people would watch it, get the basics, then give up when they got bored.

Saves me explaining it
Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Just about every shift I work someone will ask me where I am from, then want to know exactly where in England. If I ask them if they know England well the reply is usually no, but their grandfather/grandmother/great aunt was from England, or Wales, or was it Scotland.

Aagagghh

One day your Canadian grandchildren will be that someone.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
Mmm, but if you go into that much depth, then the American comparison would be this:

The US consists of the 50 States, DC and various territories. Anyone born in the US is a US citizen under the jus soli rule in the 14th Amendment, except for territories (mainly American Samoa) which do not have an organic Act of government. People born for example in Puerto Rico are US citizens by Act of Congress. Everyone gets to vote, unless you live in a territory, then you can't vote in Federal elections except the primaries. And people in DC can only vote for President in federal elections through a constitutional amendment.

Although people commonly think you have to be born in the US to be President (thanks to Donald Trump), in fact you need to be a natural-born US citizen, so you can be born abroad and still be President because you can inherit citizenship from your parents at the moment of birth. Hence John McCain was eligible for that reason, not because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone, because the PCZ was a US territory without an organic Act of government at the time he was born.

A person born in America Samoa is a US national, not citizen, American Samoa decided this was best to stop US citizens buying up land on the island. So to be a US citizen they have to naturalized. However all US citizens are also US nationals.

There is another level of US nationality, a person who was a citizen of the former Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, they were given US citizenship but some refused, so they are known as citizens of the former TTPI.

Also some former US territories (such as Palau and Micronesia) have what is known as a "Compact of Free Association" with the US and can automatically obtain work authorization in the US and travel there, etc.

So as a result American Samoa and Puerto Rico have their own Olympic teams, national teams in various sports etc., although they are part of the United States.

Also, some American Indians are LPRs at birth, not citizens, because they are born in Canada and are LPRs under the Jay Treaty. Most American Indians became US citizens because of treaties with the US, but some not associated with any band did not, and were granted citizenship in 1924 under Act of Congress (they are not recognized under the 14th Amendment).

How is that any less confusing?

People typically don't need or encounter that much information. They understand the concept of one country comprised of 50 states and that's usually all they need. As has already been discussed, people encounter the terms UK, GB, Britain, British Isles, England, etc and I have met many people who are seriously confused as to what those all actually mean. Doesn't it say something that there even is such a video on YouTube to explain the confusion? And it's got over 4 millions views!

I remember being in Rosie O'Grady's in Orlando once. The MC asked if there was anyone from the UK in tonight (huge cheer). I heard an American woman say to her friend, "Where is UK?". Her friend replied "England". This is typical.

If you're trying to say that as many people are as confused about the concept of the US or Canada then I think most people would disagree. That certainly hasn't been my experience. In fact I'm struggling to think of a single person I've met who was confused about the concept of the US or Canada. I've literally met hundreds who are confused about the UK.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 25th 2013 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived in Canada ..for about a year I was constantly asked "So what part of Australia are you from?"

Not sure what that was all about .. but there's a number of folk around here that now think Weston-super-Mare is in Australia ...

Last edited by Blossom23; Jul 25th 2013 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
..I'm struggling to think of a single person I've met who was confused about the concept of the US or Canada. I've literally met hundreds who are confused about the UK.
I like it when, in the movies, you get a scenic shot of the Eiffel Tower with the caption Paris, France as if the 'France' bit was absolutely necessary.

I swear I once heard an American refer to Wales, England.

I think that's the difference on this issue. It's about Geography not the technicalities.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom23
When I first arrived in Canada ..for about a year I was constantly asked "So what part of Australia are you from?"

Not sure what that was all about .. but there's a number of folk around here that now think Weston-super-Mare is in Australia ...
Again, it works both ways. I bought a cheap cell phone in Manchester to contact friends last time I travelled in England. The sales guy asked what part of the States I'd be calling.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I like it when, in the movies, you get a scenic shot of the Eiffel Tower with the caption Paris, France as if the 'France' bit was absolutely necessary.

I swear I once heard an American refer to Wales, England.

I think that's the difference on this issue. It's about Geography not the technicalities.
Yes there is definitely ignorance of geography. But there is also genuine confusion of the many terms used to describe the same part of the world. I've even met Brits who didn't understand the nuances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.