Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

View Poll Results: How popular is the English accent?
Extremely popular
23.81%
Very popular
30.95%
Fairly popular
23.81%
Occasionally popular
11.90%
Never popular
2.38%
Unpopular!
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
People typically don't need or encounter that much information.
It's pretty much the same sort of information as in that video.

They understand the concept of one country comprised of 50 states and that's usually all they need. As has already been discussed, people encounter the terms UK, GB, Britain, British Isles, England, etc and I have met many people who are seriously confused as to what those all actually mean. Doesn't it say something that there even is such a video on YouTube to explain the confusion? And it's got over 4 millions views!
There's a video on youtube explaining everything I'm sure.

Personally I find it confusing that American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico have their own teams for sports, etc. so I don't see what the difference is. I remember talking to a couple of Americans once who thought Canada was part of the US.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I swear I once heard an American refer to Wales, England.

I think that's the difference on this issue. It's about Geography not the technicalities.
One of the most amusing things I've ever seen on American news was on NBC Nightly News when Brian Williams read the autocue and said: "Prince Edward Island, in Nova Scotia, Canada." And then you could hear a stagehand gasp in the background and after the commercial break he corrected himself. I guess that stagehand was from Canada originally.

Watch this from 4 minutes on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHON2Zub_2s

Hey it's only Princeton.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's pretty much the same sort of information as in that video.

There's a video on youtube explaining everything I'm sure.

Personally I find it confusing that American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico have their own teams for sports, etc. so I don't see what the difference is. I remember talking to a couple of Americans once who thought Canada was part of the US.
The difference is that the UK (GB + NI, etc) and its various names are confusing and have different meanings in different contexts depending on who you are talking to. Also the UK (and its various constituent parts) is talked about and in the news a hell of a lot more than American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico for most people in the world.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 25th 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 5:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Watch this from 4 minutes on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHON2Zub_2s
Watched it all the way through - seen most before but still funny.

I'm sure this sort of thing could be done for people everywhere but the results wouldn't be quite so spectacular when you consider how well educated many of those people are.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The difference is that the UK (GB + NI, etc) and its various names are confusing and have different meanings in different contexts depending on who you are talking to.
So do the US territories. And frankly so do parts of the US, I've spoken to people in the UK who think that "New England" is a State.

Also the UK (and its various constituent parts) is talked about and in the news a hell of a lot more than American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico for most people in the world.
Depends on where you live I would guess, Guam is a pretty popular tourist destination for people in Japan and western Russia.

Perhaps the difference is that you live on the east coast and I live out west.

I remember one conversation I had about the Spanish Virgin Islands, that was confusing, it was a conversation about European possessions in the Caribbean.

Does Spain have any? No I don't think so. But there are the "Spanish Virgin Islands" on the map? Those are part of Puerto Rico. That sounds Spanish. It was, the US invaded and took it over. So the Spanish Virgin Islands are American? Yes. So what are the US Virgin Islands? Those are American as well. Oh.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

So do the US territories. And frankly so do parts of the US, I've spoken to people in the UK who think that "New England" is a State.
Well, I think that the following is definitely more confusing. I have heard people using:
- "Britain" to mean UK
- "Britain" to mean Great Britain (which is technically England + Scotland + Wales)
- "Great Britain" to mean UK
- "England" to mean UK
- "England" to mean GB
- "England" to mean England
- "Ireland" to mean the Republic of Ireland
- "Ireland" to mean the island of Ireland
- "Ulster" to mean Northern Ireland
- "Ulster" to mean Ulster (which is Northern Ireland plus 3 counties in the Republic of Ireland)

ad infinitum

You or others might be confused by some US terms but this is nothing in comparison to the confusion I frequently encounter when dealing with the above.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well of those ten examples, six of them are used commonly in the UK and mean the same thing, so I don't think they're as confused as you seem to think they are.

The one that does irritate me and personally I think causes 90% of the confusion is the American colloquialism, "The Queen of England". Okay yes she is but that's not her formal title.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well of those ten examples, six of them are used commonly in the UK and mean the same thing, so I don't think they're as confused as you seem to think they are.
That's part of my point! As I already said, the Brits themselves are often confused by these terms!

The one that does irritate me and personally I think causes 90% of the confusion is the American colloquialism, "The Queen of England". Okay yes she is but that's not her formal title.
Yes - exactly. But that proves my point and is an example of them using England to mean UK as I stated above.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:48 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

I'm welsh and my accent is popular here but it shocks me when Some have no idea about Wales.....
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snuggs
I'm welsh and my accent is popular here but it shocks me when Some have no idea about Wales.....
Go on then...are they fish or mammals?
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get 2 whales in a mini?
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:10 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get 2 whales in a mini?
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=10
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:20 am
Oscar nominated

Of course, there's an additional route available from when I first heard that joke.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Of course, there's an additional route available from when I first heard that joke.
Id like to add, weve been here for a month now and not only do the local kids on my sons soccer team think he has the skills of messi (which he definately isnt), but the teenage girls attending games are bringing more and more friends to watch as they think hes cute and love the accent. Thats one happy 13yr old!!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:23 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

My 15 yr old son, has a stream of female friends. In his opinion all he has to do is open his mouth!
I find that the majority of people like it, once they've worked out what your actually saying. But occasionally it instantly rubs someone up the wrong way.
This is probably more to do with their own personal association with something else. Rather like liking or disliking a name, because of someone you already know with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.