Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

View Poll Results: How popular is the English accent?
Extremely popular
23.81%
Very popular
30.95%
Fairly popular
23.81%
Occasionally popular
11.90%
Never popular
2.38%
Unpopular!
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How popular if at all is the English accent in Canada?

Not sure... only been here 4 weeks but working on the counter of a certain bank I find it amazing that only 2 people have commented - one expressing great joy "oh, she has an accent", the other asking if I was German.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Are you basing where to move to on which country 'likes' an English accent?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
you need an option for 'no one cares'
Oh yes they do The Ladies adore it to the extent of moistness .
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Certainly looks that way doesn't it......... well over the years I've seen people base moves on stranger things, like the woman who refused to emigrate cos Australia wasn't up to date with Coronation Street, so I guess it takes all sorts
Old Jul 20th 2013, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Just about every shift I work someone will ask me where I am from, then want to know exactly where in England. If I ask them if they know England well the reply is usually no, but their grandfather/grandmother/great aunt was from England, or Wales, or was it Scotland.

Aagagghh
Yes, heard that scenario a few times! The other annoying one is where Canadians think England = all of the UK and vice versa. Don't they teach geography at school here?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I've just got back from a visit to Vancouver, and my resounding impression is this:

I go to lunch at a restaurant/diner with friends (Canadian/Asian). Waitress/Waiter comes over to ask if we want anything to drink. Everyone will separately ask for water or cola. It gets to me and I'll say (in my clearest voice possible) "Water, please". *EVERY* single time they'll ask me to repeat myself.

So yeah, apparently I'm incomprehensible. XD
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Liberal Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
you need an option for 'no one cares'
Isn't 'never popular' essentially the same thing?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Liberal Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No lol. I am going travelling a lot of the next two years and started a thread about the reception in Australia of accents and then it got me thinking about other countries that I plan to go too.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Yes, heard that scenario a few times! The other annoying one is where Canadians think England = all of the UK and vice versa. Don't they teach geography at school here?
The reverse is also true. So don't go getting your knickers in a twist.

Tell the average UK resident where you live, in my case Calgary and you're just as likely going to get a response like, I have a cousin in Toronto do you know him?

An other example my sister (who I was not close to) was visiting a cousin in Ottawa. She phones me here in Calgary and wants to know if I can come for tea some afternoon. She was shocked when I told her it was a only a three day drive as long as I didn't stop other than to eat or gas up.

No flaming idea how big Canada is, and this is a common occurrence just read some of the threads in this forum. Do they not teach geography in school over there?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Tell the average UK resident where you live, in my case Calgary and you're just as likely going to get a response like, I have a cousin in Toronto do you know him?
From my post upthread
Back in The Cotham Porter Stores (a Bristol pub even though it doesn't sound like it) my brother's then girlfriend met someone there from Canada and, much to everyone's mirth, asked if they knew a friend of hers who moved to Canada some years earlier.

Guess who laughed last when the Canadian was at the same school as the friend.
You see? What more proof could you want that Canada is just a small place where everyone knows each other.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was in Vaughan in 2011

I got commented on my accent about 5 times in the space of 9 days. Twice in Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre, both shop assistants.

They loved it, my accent is Cheshire (North West England).
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I quite understand the question. I've never come across a cradle imitating any (of the multitude) of English accents, so I conclude that they aren't popular in Canada.

I come across (indirectly) English vocalists, on the other hand, who are determined to sound as American as apple pie.

Pathetic really.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The reverse is also true. So don't go getting your knickers in a twist.

An other example my sister (who I was not close to) was visiting a cousin in Ottawa. She phones me here in Calgary and wants to know if I can come for tea some afternoon. She was shocked when I told her it was a only a three day drive as long as I didn't stop other than to eat or gas up.

No flaming idea how big Canada is, and this is a common occurrence just read some of the threads in this forum. Do they not teach geography in school over there?
Quite right, no flaming idea. It's hard to comprehend the distances involved in Canada, the same way it's hard for a Canadian to understand the number of people that are in the UK. . Was having this conversation only last evening
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:35 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Very occasionally someone will comment on my English accent which always surprises me as almost every other person that lives around here has either a English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh accent!

I agree that people back home have no idea just how big Canada is. We`ve had a couple of similar experiences. Bearing in mind we live close to Calgary; the first was an ex-colleague of my husband`s back in the UK who was going to the Olympics at Vancouver to work and asked if he could stay with us and how long the drive each day would be. Needless to say, he didn`t stay with us in the end. We`ve also some friends coming to stay in a couple of weeks. They emailed to ask if we could pick them up from Pearson International Airport (I guess the flights were cheaper!). Quickly emailed them back suggesting Calgary would be a better option!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheThornes
We`ve also some friends coming to stay in a couple of weeks. They emailed to ask if we could pick them up from Pearson International Airport (I guess the flights were cheaper!). Quickly emailed them back suggesting Calgary would be a better option!
Some friends you are. It's only a 32 hour non-stop drive and you wouldn't do that for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.