Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How far do you drive to get to work...?

How far do you drive to get to work...?

Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far do you drive to get to work...?

Originally Posted by Souvy
That forecast is bizarre. How do you go from +10 to -15 in a matter of hours?
There's a chunk of the polar vortex that has broken away and is heading your way. Shit happens.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There's a chunk of the polar vortex that has broken away and is heading your way. Shit happens.
You should be on the weather network with a commentary like that.....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:10 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
and most traffic engineers I know run for cover if there is a microphone around at a public meeting...and leave it up to the planners to deliver the bad news.

Yeah - don't we know it!

Originally Posted by James Martindale
You have to have a wicked sense of humour to be a traffic planner.

My brother is one and everytime I curse a set of lights I know he is laughing at me.
Thats what my hubby used to do - loved putting bloody calming measures in everywhere - ie humps!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I'm getting obsessed with channel 42! Every morning watching the traffic news and watching traffic camera's for any accidents on the 403!! Think I'm justifing getting a transponder and paying the $5 each way to use the 407 instead....I always begrudge paying to use roads (I refused to use the M6 toll road!)

dbb, you must be bonkers! You must live in your car practically!!

Loving this thread, enjoying reading all the comments....even the one about the fly sex!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:36 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Yeah - don't we know it!

Thats what my hubby used to do - loved putting bloody calming measures in everywhere - ie humps!!
The people in my area put pressure on the city to get speed bumps to deter the Honda Civic brigade, who treat the streets like a racetrack. The city wanted the residents to pay. Is that normal?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:38 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
I'm getting obsessed with channel 42! Every morning watching the traffic news and watching traffic camera's for any accidents on the 403!! Think I'm justifing getting a transponder and paying the $5 each way to use the 407 instead....I always begrudge paying to use roads (I refused to use the M6 toll road!)ing reading all the comments....even the one about the fly sex!!
I spent a year or two travelling from Essex to Cheshire once a week (up and down) and the M6 toll was a positive boon. No traffic, no policecars and well worth the charge. I feel the same way about the 407 when I'm in the GTA.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:11 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

The people in my area put pressure on the city to get speed bumps to deter the Honda Civic brigade, who treat the streets like a racetrack. The city wanted the residents to pay. Is that normal?
If its a road that hasnt been noted already for requiring works the city can ask residents to pay if they want them .
Same as they can ask developers to pay to install stay a pelican crossing by a school if the developers want to build a big project that will increase traffic.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:28 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
If its a road that hasnt been noted already for requiring works the city can ask residents to pay if they want them .
Same as they can ask developers to pay to install stay a pelican crossing by a school if the developers want to build a big project that will increase traffic.
I would have imagined a tendency for teens to wrap Civics around concrete lamposts to be worthy of some "noting".
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

90mls to work ,then 2500mls at work then 90mls home at end of week.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:29 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
So I was thinking.....

After just landing a new job in my chosen field, which starts next week, my commute time/distance will be roughly 45mins/40ish km with 'moving traffic' and likely using the 407. If I use the QEW/403 it'll definately be longer time wise, and about 50km.

So I wondered, how far do you all travel to get to work?

Sometimes I think I'm mad for taking on a job in Mississauga considering the congestion, but my plan was to get a good job here, and I think I just found it, so if it all works out I'll eventually move closer to reduce the travel time.

20 min drive for me and a 20 min walk for hubby
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:31 am
half a century

I would have imagined a tendency for teens to wrap Civics around concrete lamposts to be worthy of some "noting".
hmm - in the uk it usually required a "number" of fatalities before works were considered!!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:43 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

16km from home to work, takes me about 12 minutes on a good day and 18 minutes on a bad day ..... Nothing like the 1.5 hours each way when in the UK Life is good