Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How far do you drive to get to work...?

How far do you drive to get to work...?

Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:58 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far do you drive to get to work...?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Jeez, that's true here too. I think planners must panic if you can go 300 yards without traffic lights.
Oi don't diss the planners - we don't put the traffic lights in , or even decide where they go - that's the Traffic Engineers job!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
They've decided to start sticking in roundabouts here - fiver says I see someone driving round it the wrong way within a week of it opening....
A cabbie on Vancouver Island merrily drove me the wrong way round a roundabout. The oncoming truck wasn't too amused, but the cabbie shrugged it off and took to the sidewalk.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:55 pm
AD74

Andrew74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live near Mississauga Road/Bovaird on the west of Brampton and travel to Leslie/407 in Thornhill most days! Depending on traffic and weather, could be a good run in 45 minutes or a couple of hours! Only use the 407 for part of the trip each way as adds and extra couple of hundred dollars a month to the travel! Would love a job in Mississauga/Brampton!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:06 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
They've decided to start sticking in roundabouts here - fiver says I see someone driving round it the wrong way within a week of it opening....
no no no - Traffic Circles!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew74
I live near Mississauga Road/Bovaird on the west of Brampton and travel to Leslie/407 in Thornhill most days! Depending on traffic and weather, could be a good run in 45 minutes or a couple of hours! Only use the 407 for part of the trip each way as adds and extra couple of hundred dollars a month to the travel! Would love a job in Mississauga/Brampton!
Why not a home in Thornhill?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Oi don't diss the planners - we don't put the traffic lights in , or even decide where they go - that's the Traffic Engineers job!
and most traffic engineers I know run for cover if there is a microphone around at a public meeting...and leave it up to the planners to deliver the bad news.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Roundabouts and draining boards, fundamental building blocks of a civilized society almost completely absent in Canada.
Aussies takin Roundabouts everywhere as they can't cope
and putting trafic lights in
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
Aussies takin Roundabouts everywhere as they can't cope
and putting trafic lights in
I don't recall seeing any great number of roundabouts, to me the distinctive feature of Australian roads was that the runaway truck ramps were called "Vehicular Arrestation Beds" or something equally high faluting. That seemed a gobful to pray for when your brakes are failing.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:24 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shamrock249
Personally I think the traffic roundabouts are great. Canada has some but very rare. I'm just back from a vist to Belfast and am always impressed with the traffic flow at these intersections. Canada should have more.
A bit of a bugger to plough, though.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
They put a roundabout in at Sylvan Lake, within the 1st week someone had driven straight over the top of it and took out the foundation for the fancy Sylvan Lake sign. Don't think it did his truck much good.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
A bit of a bugger to plough, though.
I don't see that this should be a problem. Just use mini-roundabouts, smallish circles in the middle of the junction.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:40 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't see that this should be a problem. Just use mini-roundabouts, smallish circles in the middle of the junction.
Mini ones, no. Bigger ones, with lots of exits would require a certain degree of plough-ballet.

Enough talk of snow. We have a flower in the back yard. I shall locate my shorts.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Enough talk of snow. We have a flower in the back yard. I shall locate my shorts.
I'd wait until Monday if I were you.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...maps_savedcity
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:52 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd wait until Monday if I were you.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...maps_savedcity
That forecast is bizarre. How do you go from +10 to -15 in a matter of hours?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
You have to have a wicked sense of humour to be a traffic planner.

My brother is one and everytime I curse a set of lights I know he is laughing at me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.