British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How far do you drive to get to work...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-far-do-you-drive-get-work-660677/)

pinzo Mar 23rd 2010 12:35 am

How far do you drive to get to work...?

So I was thinking.....

After just landing a new job in my chosen field, which starts next week, my commute time/distance will be roughly 45mins/40ish km with 'moving traffic' and likely using the 407. If I use the QEW/403 it'll definately be longer time wise, and about 50km.:ohmy:

So I wondered, how far do you all travel to get to work?:confused:

Sometimes I think I'm mad for taking on a job in Mississauga considering the congestion, but my plan was to get a good job here, and I think I just found it, so if it all works out I'll eventually move closer to reduce the travel time.

:D

dbd33 Mar 23rd 2010 12:39 am

Re: How far do you drive to get to work...?

Originally Posted by pinzo (Post 8440204)
So I was thinking.....

After just landing a new job in my chosen field, which starts next week, my commute time/distance will be roughly 45mins/40ish km with 'moving traffic' and likely using the 407. If I use the QEW/403 it'll definately be longer time wise, and about 50km.:ohmy:

So I wondered, how far do you all travel to get to work?:confused:

Sometimes I think I'm mad for taking on a job in Mississauga considering the congestion, but my plan was to get a good job here, and I think I just found it, so if it all works out I'll eventually move closer to reduce the travel time.

:D

75 miles each way on downtown days, 60 on the others. That's an hour fifteen downtown, any number of hours back, just over an hour each way for the other trip which is, pretty much, all on dirt roads. Note that other commuters to the 60 mile destination, Guelph, come from Scarbough, Markham, Atlanta, Kansas City, Minneapolis and Boston so I don't have it so bad.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 23rd 2010 12:39 am

17kms / 30 minutes. That includes dropping small AX off at daycare.

You can keep your big city commutes.;)

Atlantic Xpat Mar 23rd 2010 12:39 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8440214)
75 miles each way on downtown days, 60 on the others. That's an hour fifteen downtown, any number of hours back, just over an hour each way for the other trip which is, pretty much, all on dirt roads.

Haven't you sold the ranch yet then?

Photoplex Mar 23rd 2010 12:44 am

I walk 15 mins to work :) (I live and work in downtown Calgary!)

dbd33 Mar 23rd 2010 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 8440217)
Haven't you sold the ranch yet then?

Nope. Rural properties take forever to sell. Once that's done the commute will be five miles or less on downtown days and 60 miles but over a very slow route on the others. Going downtown in the early evening, which I do once a week or so, is as bad as going downtown in the morning rush. Worse if there's iced hockey or baseball. That's an aspect of moving back to the city I'm not looking forward to.

G77 Mar 23rd 2010 12:47 am

About 5 metres......

From bedroom to home office :thumbsup:

Tangram Mar 23rd 2010 12:48 am

Was 5 mins in old job, will be 15 mins in new current job ( when we move house in June ).

Almost Canadian Mar 23rd 2010 12:59 am

1km to the train station and a 30 min journey to downtown Calgary:thumbsup:

triumphguy Mar 23rd 2010 1:03 am

15 minutes to my office - drive from south Calgary to my office near Deerfoot and Heritage.

terese677 Mar 23rd 2010 1:15 am

between 5 and 8 minutes depending on traffic;)

Piff Poff Mar 23rd 2010 2:19 am

shamefully I drive the three blocks to work - only because I need the car most days straight after and my feet hurt too much walking to far - I am planning on getting out the push bike though:thumbsup:

OH drives 10-15 mins before he arrives at his weekday destination:thumbup:

Alan2005 Mar 23rd 2010 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 8440372)
shamefully I drive the three blocks to work - only because I need the car most days straight after and my feet hurt too much walking to far - I am planning on getting out the push bike though:thumbsup:

OH drives 10-15 mins before he arrives at his weekday destination:thumbup:

You drive 3 blocks? If these are normal city blocks you need to get off your arse and walk - it sounds like your feet hurt from under use.

I walk four blocks which takes me 10 mins from leaving the door to sitting down at my desk.

wizzard Mar 23rd 2010 3:34 am

25 minutes on the bike in summer, 30-40 on the TTC depending on when the bus bothers to arrive.

fledermaus Mar 23rd 2010 4:17 am

20 minutes about. Some of the others I work with are a 5 minute walk away, some are over an hours drive and one even lives over near dbd33. She doesn't do many shifts not surprisingly.