Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Originally Posted by Animal
Did you hit him ?
No he was riding quite quickly along the pedestrian side of the seawall
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
We reuse a Hermes Birkin
I dont blame you, Hermes is soooo last year darlink.....
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That might be a Calgary bylaw as I am often almost mown down by cyclists without bells - I don't think they realise how quiet they are, they scare the living daylights out of me sometimes.

As for helmets, in Red Deer at least under 18`s have to wear helmets ot the parents can be fined. After that it`s up to you.

It is an Alberta Bicycle Law and the fine is $57 for not having a bell : Starsmile:
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont blame you, Hermes is soooo last year darlink.....
Yep. My wife came home with a new Tiffany & Co one last month
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I am happy to take her old Birkins of her hands
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:37 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
I am happy to take her old Birkins of her hands
She's saving it to use as a Diaper bag
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

She's saving it to use as a Diaper bag
Wont the Nanny have her own?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

HID was banging on about some posh handbag for her birthday but I can't see the point in Vancouver so she's getting an inflatable life jacket instead.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Nanny is already probably using the Tiffany & Co one. With the amounts of money they get paid over here
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
It is an Alberta Bicycle Law and the fine is $57 for not having a bell : Starsmile:
So it is - that means I can shout at people that make me jump then for not dinging their non existent bell

Taken from:http://www.canadatrails.ca/biking/bike_ab.html
Alberta Bicycle Laws

As in other regions of Canada cyclists must follow the same laws as drivers of motor vehicles. Some of the more specific points of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act are:

When ridden at night bicycles must have a white front light, a red rear light, side reflectors and a red rear reflector ($115 fine).
Bikes must have a bell or horn ($57 fine).
Bike brakes must be in good working order ($57 fine).
Cyclists under the age of 18 must wear a bike helmet ($115 fine).
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:57 pm
Beep

No Nanny for us. If my contract is renewed then i'll be a working nanny. If not, i'll have to talk my wife into letting me stay home while she works

Originally Posted by Oink
HID was banging on about some posh handbag for her birthday but I can't see the point in Vancouver so she's getting an inflatable life jacket instead.
Paint it Tiffany blue for the best of both worlds
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:09 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Einstein....my job fortunately strongly recommends me to run, not jog as you put it. This is even extended to the young ones at RMC

Until you can give me a good enough reason for not wearing a helmet, verbal diarrhoea is all am hearing
Cycling is insufficiently dangerous to merit personal protective equipment, and the hazards most people are concerned about (impact with fast-moving vehicles) are not what styrofoam hats are designed to protect against. I've taken a close interest in cycle helmet effectiveness, and legislation, for nearly 15 years. I don't wear one.

There's an enormous weight of evidence at www.cyclehelmets.org, and the Canada situation is covered at http://cyclehelmets.org/1023.html.

Edited to add: more on Canada at http://www.cycle-helmets.com/canada_helmets.html

Last edited by agr; Jun 7th 2012 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, thank you so much for your kind replies...I shall stuff them in the packing....I wear one here, but cycled for years from Stratford to Marble Arch without one - but I was younger and oh so much fitter then alas, and a damn sight more optimistic! My son is mainly on cycle paths, but the kids who wear them aren't his mates, they just don't see it as cool...I have told him he MUST in Canada. There is no excuse for my OH, he drives me bonkers - but that's a whole'nother thread all by itself!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

My brother managed to break his leg coming off his bike on his cycle path commute!

No one around, just hit some gravel and came off on the cycle path. Fortunatly his helmet (which was totalled in the fall, intact, but squished) took the brunt of the impact as his head hit the tarmac, and he remained conscious long enough to call an ambulance on his mobile before he passed out from the pain. (The was bone sticking out of his leg)

Unfortunately he had ended up in the cyclepath tunnel under the main road and the ambulance sat above him for some time before they found him!

Toe clips were his problem, if he had had clip in shoes or regular pedals his feet would have come free and he would not have been incapacitated for the best part of 6 months due to the spiral fracture to his tibia. Only now, 2 years later, is he biking to work again.

Just wear a helmet, you only have one head to hit on the ground. Just dont ride like it makes you invulnerable. Clearly if an impact is severe enough no helmet is going to help, but many injuries are associated with the fall from the bike to the ground, and helmets can help lessen the severity of those, maybe not necessarily life threatening injuries.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 7th 2012 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

An acquaintance back in Blighty wouldn't be here today if he hadn't of been wearing a helmet while mountain biking. While my own riding is way less extreme, I'd still wear one if I could find one that would fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.