Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:33 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Originally Posted by jericho
Special protective equipment? It's a helmet. We're hardly talking a coat of armour here.
Passengers in vehicles, as already mentioned, have several safety features that are enforced by law. They are however exposed to different risks- driving at higher speeds, for instance, and high traffic volumes.

Pedestrians also have several benefits on their side- dedicated crossings, speed limits, strict liability, etc etc.
But all these differences are accounted for in the stats, so it doesn't matter what they are. That's what a lot of people don't seem to understand. Lots of people make rational decisions to risk head injury by not driving with a helmet; I make the same decision when cycling, faced with a similar level of risk.

What you seem to be in favour of is cyclists requiring no protection whatsoever simply because you feel they are not as safe as people believe.
No. It's not about what I feel - perhaps because I'm an engineer, I don't 'feel' anything in these matters. Helmets are designed to reduce the acceleration experienced by a disembodied magnesium headform falling 6 feet inverted onto a steel anvil to 300g. That is minimal protection, demonstrably different from the impression most people are given when they are implored to wear one. What I am in favour of is nothing more than informed choice. I hope I have made the case that cycling is not especially dangerous, and that helmets are not particularly effective.

I am also opposed to cycle helmet legislation, but that is not the topic.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
You have some excellent, idealistic, points of view but, typically, do the people riding on the wake of Walmart culture purchase bikes and get fit using them?

Alternatively, are they really tempted by a bike (for fitness sake),but then be put off the purchase by the additional cost of a helmet?

If you're really preaching to the masses here, you might just be humouring Darwin
You seem to have missed the point, its not the cost of the helmet that puts people off cycling, its the hysteria in the media and the mandating of helmets that creates the perception that its somehow taking your life in you hands and risking life and limb to go biking in the first place when all the data and statistics indicate that was never actually the case.

Everyone has an opinion, but its the stats on bicycle usage pre and post helmet laws that count isnt it? They would seem to indicate that fewer people bike now. One wonders if stats for unconnected physical activities like soccer participation have also dropped as kids generally seem to have become attached to their electronic devices and have become fat couch potatoes, in which case maybe helmets have nothing to do with it.

There are so many fat kids around now, its depressing. OHIP and the NHS are likely to collapse under the strain of taking care of them 20 or 30 years from now.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 12th 2012 at 12:56 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:05 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You seem to have missed the point, its not the cost of the helmet that puts people off cycling, its the hysteria in the media and the mandating of helmets that creates the perception that its somehow taking your life in you hands and risking life and limb to go biking in the first place when all the data and statistics indicate that was never actually the case.

Everyone has an opinion, but its the stats on bicycle usage pre and post helmet laws that count isnt it? They would seem to indicate that fewer people bike now. One wonders if stats for unconnected physical activities like soccer participation have also dropped as kids generally seem to have become attached to their electronic devices and have become fat couch potatoes, in which case maybe helmets have nothing to do with it.

There are so many fat kids around now, its depressing. OHIP and the NHS are likely to collapse under the strain of taking care of them 20 or 30 years from now.
I don't think it has anything to do with mandating helmets - hell no one enforces it. But I agree with the electronic devices, computers, cell phones, game boxes have a lot to do with it. It's also the world we live in now as everyone seems to drive their kids everywhere, even around the block to school - I rode my bike everywhere when I was a kid.

Thankfully both my teenage daughters are more into sports than the couch.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I don't think it has anything to do with mandating helmets - hell no one enforces it. But I agree with the electronic devices, computers, cell phones, game boxes have a lot to do with it. It's also the world we live in now as everyone seems to drive their kids everywhere, even around the block to school - I rode my bike everywhere when I was a kid.

They dont need to enforce it, just by making the law they create the impression that cycling will kill you if you dont watch out, thats the problem that agr is trying to get over.

There is a lot of media driven paranoia about child abusers on the prowl and all that that drive parents to drive their kids small distances rather than shove them out the door to make their own way. I dont honestly think there is more of a problem now than when I was a kid, there is just a lot more publicity surrounding it. How many people do you know who have actually been affected by such a thing in person? Its very hard to raise innocent care free kids now.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:16 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good thing, not only does it help with being a team player, it also helps with focus that transcends into their education and other aspects of their lives.
I have spoken to other parents during meets, and they have said they see the difference in their kids lives from doing sports compared to other kids
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:35 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

They dont need to enforce it, just by making the law they you if you dont watch out, thats the problem that agr is trying to get over.
Well, I kinda disagree then - just by making it a law doesn't create the impression that cycling will kill you - that's the hysteria that some people (parents included) will use to frown on others that aren't following the law.

We all get to make decisions in life whether it's against the law or not - but there are consequences.

There is a lot of media driven paranoia about child abusers on the prowl and all that that drive parents to drive their kids small distances rather than shove them out the door to make their own way. I dont honestly think there is more of a problem now than when I was a kid, there is just a lot more publicity surrounding it. How many people do you know who have actually been affected by such a thing in person? Its very hard to raise innocent care free kids now.
I totally agree but then my ex was one of those totally paranoid people (she was also the one that freaked out if the kids never wore their helmets, wrist guards, knee pads, etc.). Probably why she's my ex.

Ever remember the days when you played soccer without shinpads or better yet, jumped in the back of your dad's pick-up, hockey bag in tow, with the other kids on the block and he drove everyone to hockey practice. The good old days.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have stats for cycle related injuries? I've not googled so don't really know. Would be interesting though.

As for fat kids. Parents are the enablers and in some cases it's quite sad. I took a great picture a while ago, mainly through disbelief, although it did make me laugh hard. There was a large family (i assume family) in Whistler last summer all aged from around 5yrs old to 80yrs ish. They were all so huge they waddled. The younger boys all had the same tops on that said "Nom Nom Nom, Gimmie my Timmies". The dad (i assume) had a "I Live at The Keg" t shirt.

The sad thing is they were ALL walking around stuffing their faces with McDonalds.

I'll try and dig it out. Oh boy i nearly wee'd myself. Shame though cos those kids are ****ed.

Speaking of McDonalds, my preggers wife made me go in one the other day to get her a milkshake. **** me that's a depressing place. There's definitely a certain kind of clientelle drawn to it. Most looked like they'd fallen from their bikes without a helmet when they were kids.

As for Cycle helmets. My kids will always wear key protection when out doing certain stuff. Helmet on a bike, skateboard, or blades. Life Jacket when kayaking or canoeing. I personally don't think any mandate forcing people to wear safety gear has any impact (pardon the pun) on participating in the activity. I would say if there is a decline in cycling, its most likley due to lack of safe accessibility, lack of storage, laziness, car mentality, or preference of modern technology. Most likely the media hyperbole of how kids aren't safe anymore could be in there too as parents are too scared to let their kids cycle to school around the corner.

Hallelujah
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Ever remember the days when you played soccer without shinpads or better yet, jumped in the back of your dad's pick-up, hockey bag in tow, with the other kids on the block and he drove everyone to hockey practice. The good old days.
I never played hockey without shinpads, the BALL was too hard
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:43 pm
Up Your Kilt

I never played hockey without shinpads, the BALL was too hard
The STICK was harder
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

They dont need to enforce it, just by making the law they create the impression that cycling will kill you if you dont watch out, thats the problem that agr is trying to get over.

I'm not sure. Cars are forever being filled with safety gear and protection. Crash tests, etc. More people drive than ever before and many like dickheads.

As for kids not being raised innocent and care free? I'm curious? Hints and tips and all that It sounds like parents again are the enablers in this context by shoving their fears onto their innocent care free child. There's a woman in my building who's scared of dogs. Every time i walk near her with my smiling Pug, she picks up her daughter and hugs her so tight showing so much fear. The sad thing is the daughter is now petrified of all dogs
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo

As for kids not being raised innocent and care free? I'm curious? Hints and tips and all that It sounds like parents again are the enablers in this context by shoving their fears onto their innocent care free child. There's a woman in my building who's scared of dogs. Every time i walk near her with my smiling Pug, she picks up her daughter and hugs her so tight showing so much fear. The sad thing is the daughter is now petrified of all dogs
In many cases I suspect you are right, its well known that all kids are born perfect and over the next 18 years parents totally **** them up.

Wish I had some simple answers for you...I dont. Basically Kids end up reflecting their parents. Be aware, try you best, be patient above all (thats the hardest part). Thats all you can do... Enjoy the journey.

Our main strategy to keep them care free is to live in the arse end of nowhere, with no internet, and not pay the ransom to the TV companies, so they get very little exposure at home to the garbage that the media churns out. Screen time is limited, they play outside, we keep them active, they read and play music, and they get enough sleep. Its hard to overestimate the importance of enough sleep! So many kids seem to do a ridiculous number of things in the evening, its a treadmill to avoid IMO.

Its OK for now, but it will have to change sooner or later otherwise by the time they are let loose on the real world they will have no strategies or experience to deal with the media bombardment that awaits them I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 12th 2012 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:49 pm
Up Your Kilt

I'm not sure. Cars are forever being filled with safety gear and protection. Crash tests, etc. More people drive than ever before and many like dickheads.

Agree

Agree, glad I'm not one of those parents

Been there as well with the dog thing
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:53 pm
Up Your Kilt

Wish I had some simple answers for you...I dont. Basically Kids end up reflecting their parents. Be aware, try you best, thats all you can do...
True. My Dad's guide to parenting: Show them the path to the door, clear the way, help them up if they should stumble and when they reach the door, place your foot firmly on their ass and help them through it.

Words to live by.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:00 pm
Beep

Basically Kids end up reflecting their parents.
That's what worries me the most. As long as its their mum they'll be ok

Still, looking at threads on here showing the TV being a staple in the lives of adults, its no wonder kids are lazy fatties these days

Feel free to PM more tips
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Feel free to PM more tips
I edited my post in the mean time.

Heres another... dont let a 9 year old go shooting one weekend and for a flight in an ultralight the next... not unless you are either deaf to the pleading for more, or have deep pockets....
Attached Thumbnails Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?-608.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.