Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Sorry, quick question - I have Googled, lurked round the Wiki, but... are cycle helmets obligatory on a bike please in NB? It seems they were in some places, and then all the goal posts shifted? My son and husband refuse to wear one (but we have them in the garage...I have a very fetching floral job!) If it's a 'fine-on-the-spot' jobbie I will pack them, if not will ditch 'em. Many thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:09 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...aws_by_country
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about NB but in ON the bicycle helmet law was introduced with an explicit statement from the then political leader Mike Harris that it would not be enforced. I ignored it (and I was commuting by bike then) with no consequences but then I ignore lots of other laws with no consequence. I don't think that just because something's legislated in Canada one is obliged to conform, Canadians just like legislation.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:14 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

"By law bicycle helmets are mandatory for all ages in New Brunswick as of Dec.15th, 1995 and there is a $21.00 fine for not complying. Bicycle helmet laws are different in every province. When renting a bicycle in New Brunswick the helmet is included."

http://www.travel-new-brunswick-cana...ng-trails.html
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:15 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Sorry, quick question - I have Googled, lurked round the Wiki, but... are cycle helmets obligatory on a bike please in NB? It seems they were in some places, and then all the goal posts shifted? My son and husband refuse to wear one (but we have them in the garage...I have a very fetching floral job!) If it's a 'fine-on-the-spot' jobbie I will pack them, if not will ditch 'em. Many thanks.

Why are they refusing to wear an helmet? Do they also refuse to wear a sit belt in a car then? Hey if that is how they choose to live, and are willing to sign a waiver that should there be an accident, the tax payer won't have to cover hospital or living costs?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Why are they refusing to wear an helmet? Do they also refuse to wear a sit belt in a car then? Hey if that is how they choose to live, and are willing to sign a waiver that should there be an accident, the tax payer won't have to cover hospital or living costs?
Have you signed a waiver saying that, if you're injured as a consequence of your jogging, the tax payer won't have to cover hospital or living costs?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:21 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Have you signed a waiver saying that, if you're injured as a consequence of your jogging, the tax payer won't have to cover hospital or living costs?
Einstein....my job fortunately strongly recommends me to run, not jog as you put it. This is even extended to the young ones at RMC

Until you can give me a good enough reason for not wearing a helmet, verbal diarrhoea is all am hearing
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive had enough near misses and trips to the hospital that I wear mine now, mandated or not. The last time I didnt I ended up with a concussion, $5000 in dental expenses and a 10 minute blackout. Never did find my Oakley sunglasses afterwards either I suppose I would have lost the teeth anyway, but it would have been nice to have been with it enough to find the shades...
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know anything about the province you are moving to but get this, in Alberta if you are cycling you have to have a bell on your bike! This is not a joke, my OH bikes to work and has been told he needs to have one if he doesnt want to get nicked
As far as the helmets go, you need to wear one even if its not a law as people drive like maniacs and there isnt always a bike lane (its illegal to cycle on the sidewalk BTW).
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Einstein....my job fortunately strongly recommends me to run, not jog as you put it. This is even extended to the young ones at RMC
I can't say I know what RMC is or why you'd extend towards the young ones there. As long as they're of consenting age, I don't think we need to know about that.

On point, some people bicycle, some scurry along roads, both are choices that put the person at risk. Both are within the bounds of reasonable behaviour (assuming no spandex is involved) neither should require a waiver.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:30 pm
Banned

I can't say I know what RMC is or why you'd extend towards the young ones there. As long as they're of consenting age, I don't think we need to know about that.

On point, some people bicycle, some scurry along roads, both are choices that put the person at risk. Both are within the bounds of reasonable behaviour (assuming no spandex is involved) neither should require a waiver.

RMC = Royal Military College Kingston and St Jean outside Montreal.

Anyway...when you find the time, answer the question as to why you don't wear the helmet. I am sure folks here will like to hear your valid reason and either try to agree with you, or see it as BS

Last edited by ultrarunner; Jun 7th 2012 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

RMC = Royal Military College Kingston and St Jean outside Montreal.

Anyway...when you find the time, answer the question as to why you don't wear the helmet. I am sure will like to hear your valid reason and either try to agree with you, or see it as BS
Weight and heat build up can lead to fatigue, which can lead to poor decision making and mistakes that can be just as fatal as not wearing a helmet. A decent helmet can mitigate against that, but most helmets suck. The other argument also applies to ski helmets, and thats that people feel less vulnerable in a helmet and do stupid things they otherwise wouldnt.

Just saying, its not the open and shut case you think it is. Given the average canadian drivers ability to concentrate on the task in hand, Ill take my chances with a helmet.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 7th 2012 at 2:36 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

why you don't wear the helmet
I don't care to, I find it detracts from my enjoyment of the ride. I don't wear a helmet when riding a horse either. I don't think it's a big deal in either case.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the states I've lived in didn't require helmets for motorbikes. Each to their own and all that, but its just insanity not to wear one imo. As for push bikes, it's law here in BC. I like the fact that not only will they fine you they also levy a four dollar victim of injury surcharge.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I don't think it's a big deal in either case.
It may be if you fall off Particularly from horse height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.