Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:38 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are helmets obligatory on a cycle?

Originally Posted by alidew
As a teen I also had a comedy crash on a road bike when an armadillo ambled out in front of me on what I thought was a flat, safe trail (in Austin, Tx). Since I'm one unco-ordinated lady, it's helmet for any type of cycling for me !
Isn't it great to be able to make your own decisions like that?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
when out riding the old "rail grade" paths with the girlfriend I don't bother. .
That was the mistake I made.... then I decided to check out a side trail and lost three teeth, my oakleys and ten minutes of my memory. D'Oh.

That was literally the last time I rode without one.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:25 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
That was the mistake I made.... then I decided to check out a side trail and lost three teeth, my oakleys and ten minutes of my memory. D'Oh.

That was literally the last time I rode without one.
Interesting perspective. Much of the pro-helmet fervour rests on a fatalistic assumption that one can't influence the probability of a crash happening in the first place. Or worse, that people can't be trusted to look after their own probabilities and make decisions accordingly regarding the degree of protection they choose to employ.

If not wearing a helmet was your only mistake, then the inference is that the tumble was inevitable - but was it really inevitable?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It may be if you fall off Particularly from horse height.
More likely to break his neck.

Originally Posted by agr
This idea of inviting people to exempt themselves from socialized healthcare on the basis of behaviour is quite intriguing. I like it. Since more people die in Canada falling out of bed than off a bicycle, I would like to invite those complete idiots who venture into bed without protective gear to sign a waiver so that I won't have to pay for their subsequent healthcare. If we can save even just one life it will be worth it. Next we will tackle the insane behaviour of showering in a slippery bath without a helmet - way too dangerous for these times. Then all the people who don't take exercise because they have been told it's too dangerous, we'll exempt their stroke, heart and diabetes care - seems only fair. Now, who here drinks alcohol? You're next.

You see where this is leading?
I like your thinking. We should refuse repair surgery to all those exercise nuts who insist on ruining their joints with exercise.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
If not wearing a helmet was your only mistake, then the inference is that the tumble was inevitable - but was it really inevitable?
The tumble was inevitable, given my level of stupidity on the day. The lost teeth were inevitable helmet or not. The loss of conciousness may have been mitigated by a helmet, and I would probably have been with it enough to find my sunglasses.

Had it been a legal requirement, on a hot summer day on the rail trail I would probably have ignored the law anyway, but now, given the unpleasant end result of that quiet ride down the rail trail my perspective on the whole helmet thing is understandably skewed in favour. I still have stringy "floaters" in my field of vision occasionally, 10 years after the accident as a reminder.

I understand and acknowledge the arguments against, and they are not without merit, but on the whole I think the pros of helmets outweigh the cons, especially now they are so much lighter and better ventilated than "helmet 1.0". However, people need to understand the limitations of helmets too.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 2nd 2012 at 1:22 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Besides, I suspect its probably some form of tresonable offence to argue with Wiggo at the moment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...clists-helmets
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:00 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Had it been a legal requirement, on a hot summer day on the rail trail I would probably have ignored the law anyway, but now, given the unpleasant end result of that quiet ride down the rail trail my perspective on the whole helmet thing is understandably skewed in favour.
I guess that's one of the main points "regardless of the law, people will do whatever they want", which I'm OK with as long as they are responsible for those actions and don't try a sue someone (like the municipality or government) afterwards

I understand and acknowledge the arguments against, and they are not without merit, but on the whole I think the pros of helmets outweigh the cons, especially now they are so much lighter and better ventilated than "helmet 1.0".
I have several of the top end helmets, nice and light and ventilated but still don't wear one on the "rail grade" rides. Personal choice I guess. It's nice to ride your bike on a nice sunny day without a helmet.

However, people need to understand the limitations of helmets too.
+1

Now I'm off to pack for my annual mountain bike trek to the Kootenays - helmets, gloves, arm & shin guards - check.

Hope everyone else has a great, safe long weekend (maybe getting a bike ride or two in as well).
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:21 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I'd just assumed wearing a helmet while cycling would reduce the chance of my head getting hurt or suffering a fatal head injury from an accident.

However, after having a quick scan through this report I now realise that my assumption was just that; an assumption.

"Summary of injury data
Despite the lack of obvious change in %HI in response to increased helmet wearing from legislation (Figs 1-5), proponents of helmet laws have claimed the laws were effective. They usually fail to mention important aspects of the data, such as the similar trends in %HI for all road users (Fig 3), that non-head injuries fell by almost as much as head injuries (Fig 1), or the large reductions in the amount of cycling (see next section)."

This report: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811624.pdf tells me that cycling in the evening with alcohol in my blood is when I'm most likely to have a fatal accident (helmet or no helmet).