Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Sounds like this get-together is turning into a party! I'll just have to join you guys on the next one. Clare, we're also planning to have the Rockies as a backdrop to our wedding and I'm hoping I'll have a few nice weekend trips in the name of research! Hope you all have a great time and don't forget to keep me posted on any future meet-ups, I'll be there soon!
Sophie
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ralstne
Sounds like this get-together is turning into a party! I'll just have to join you guys on the next one. Clare, we're also planning to have the Rockies as a backdrop to our wedding and I'm hoping I'll have a few nice weekend trips in the name of research! Hope you all have a great time and don't forget to keep me posted on any future meet-ups, I'll be there soon!
Sophie
Yes i think you're right a few weekend trips to the rockies may be in order for us too all in the name of research of course

im really glad i found this website i was starting to feel like the only brit on this side of the pond

Clare
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

You are very close to me!!!!!! I'm just up the road in Brookside.

Linda P

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Is this a possible get-together in the making? If so I would be interested in meeting some people (if native-born Canadians are allowed - my HB is the British half of our relationship! ) We arrived in Edmonton a week ago for my new job, and are living in the Blue Quills area, near Heritage Mall in the south west. We don't have a car yet either, but boy oh boy will we be getting one soon!

I don't have any kids yet to bring, but as we recently found out we are expecting our first bundle of joy in Jan/Feb, I would love to hear from those who already have them!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:44 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Is this a possible get-together in the making? If so I would be interested in meeting some people (if native-born Canadians are allowed - my HB is the British half of our relationship! ) We arrived in Edmonton a week ago for my new job, and are living in the Blue Quills area, near Heritage Mall in the south west. We don't have a car yet either, but boy oh boy will we be getting one soon!

I don't have any kids yet to bring, but as we recently found out we are expecting our first bundle of joy in Jan/Feb, I would love to hear from those who already have them!
Hi Anya
Congratulations on your exciting news.......new city and new baby !!!
It would be lovely to meet with you also. We just need to get to grips with the logistics of meeting up somewhere convenient, when we are all spread all over the place and it sounds like I'm the only one with a car at the mo.................but, thats OK, I can drive wherever...................I'm easy (but keep that to yourselves !!!)

Can everyone get to West Edm Mall?? or would the Heritage Mall be a better option?? (Except I don't have the foggiest idea where that is !)

Can it be in the week or does it need to be a weekend for you Anya ??

I am flexible............I can do in the week (afternoons are better)or weekends ( minus the kids might be a nice break).
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:49 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ralstne
Sophie
Definately call in at Kananaskis Village Sophie, its soooooo pretty there and the hotels are lovely, esp The Delta...................they have a pool/spa/tennis courts/a lovely restaurant..............we can't wait to get back there. Its as nice as anywhere we've found....................and they offer babysitting services ............whoopee !!!!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Hah, I wouldn't go to the Heritage Mall area, there's not a lot there except a couple strip malls, two grocery stores and a "Liquor Barn" (no airs and graces with that name!) I work 9 to 5 during the week, so count me in for any weekend plans. I can get around ok on the bus system so getting to the WEM (or any other large-ish transit stop) wouldn't be a problem.

Linda, I must admit I don't yet know where Brookside is - hopefully I will get to grips with the different areas soon!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I have a car now!!!!!! at last!!!!!!!!

Unless hubby is off, I'll be with two monkeys for sure.

Anya T, If you carry on 23 Ave towards Terwillegar, we are not far from Brander Gardens and Ramsey. It's about 10 mins from you.

Linda P
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Oh do bring your little monkeys because i'll have my little monkey too and he'll love the company
in England i had so many babysitters my dad and his wife, my sons dad had him most w'ends i had almost every weekend off which mostly i worked but here my fiancees family are miles away so i gota get used to no babysitters now :scared: lol not that i mind of course, i love my little monkey but its nice to have a break sometimes
i guess he could always spend the day with my fiancee for some male bonding from time to time
he promised to take him fishing at some point

i have no idea where the heritage mall is doesnt sound like much there but i can get the bus quite easily to Londonderry mall tho and WEM too just need to find the one that go's straight there i know theres a fast bus the last one took so long

Also during the week would be good for me also
Clare

Last edited by ClareEdm; Jul 15th 2006 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 6:59 am
Just Joined

ghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant future

Hi Clare,

I we live in Edmonton not expats not from UK. We've been here for just over 2 years now.

I work with a Clare (assuming its your real name) and she is also your age and also from the UK ! Its not you is it? Just jokng.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ghost2006
Hi Clare,

I we live in Edmonton not expats not from UK. We've been here for just over 2 years now.

I work with a Clare (assuming its your real name) and she is also your age and also from the UK ! Its not you is it? Just jokng.

Hi Ghost2006, where abouts in Edmonton are you? How olds you little one? What do you think, do you like it here?
Please tell us more

Linda P
Old Jul 20th 2006, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

ghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Linda P
Hi Ghost2006, where abouts in Edmonton are you? How olds you little one? What do you think, do you like it here?
Please tell us more

Linda P
I didn't say we had a child, you must of read one of my posts from another dicussion topic maybe. We live very close to the Uni (I mean U of A). Our child is one and was born in Canada so is a citizen, which is great for him if he wants to use it in the future.

Do we like it here? Well, we like the people and in summer the weather is nice. However, overall to be honest we don't like. Too far inland, far to cold in winter, over dependency on cars, no rail network (LRT doesn't count) and far to many shopping centres and franchises. When we leave here I swear I will never eat at a franchise again for as long as I live!

But we can handle the above negatives for now. The real problem is lack of friends & family for us, which would be true no matter where we live I guess.

But this isolation feeling is hightened in many north american cities because of the over dependency on individual motor transport and the television nation factor. When you are forced to us public transport of walk you are forced to interact with strangers (the community), but when you are in cars you talk to no one except those in the car with you or on your cell phone. People get all there interactions with the TV or computer instead of face to face. Or, the interaction is controlled, like the "runner club" where they teach how to run or the "bike club" where they teach how to ride a bike.

You end up interacting superficially face-to-face with people, like when someone opens the door for you and you say "thankyou" and they reply "your welcome". What does that mean anyway? I thought you say "welcome" when someone or people attend your wedding or your exhibition or something like that. In other words "welcome" is used when someone does something for you. So its almost like the person who opened the door for you is saying "thank you for saying thank you, I was expecting you to say that." It is as though people think they are being filmed on a realitiy TV show and they are afraid they will look rude or bad or something. So even though people are really nice to you, it seems superficial and you don't really know if they mean it or not.

But its probably just a culture difference we are still getting use to. It much easier to see the negative side of things.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:41 am
sticky beaking

When you are forced to us public transport of walk you are forced to interact with strangers (the community), but when you are in cars you talk to no one except those in the car with you or on your cell phone. People get all there interactions with the TV or computer instead of face to face. Or, the interaction is controlled, like the "runner club" where they teach how to run or the "bike club" where they teach how to ride a bike.

You end up interacting superficially face-to-face with people, like when someone opens the door for you and you say "thankyou" and they reply "your welcome". What does that mean anyway? I thought you say "welcome" when someone or people attend your wedding or your exhibition or something like that. In other words "welcome" is used when someone does something for you. So its almost like the person who opened the door for you is saying "thank you for saying thank you, I was expecting you to say that." It is as though people think they are being filmed on a realitiy TV show and they are afraid they will look rude or bad or something. So even though people are really nice to you, it seems superficial and you don't really know if they mean it or not.

But its probably just a culture difference we are still getting use to. It much easier to see the negative side of things.
Yeah, but you are talking about brief interactions with "strangers' there, which is no different the world over. If you want something "deeper" then you need to make friends with people for that, and it takes time. We have been here for 15 months now and we are starting to develop some good friendships with Canadians.....although you sometimes have to explain yourselves as they are on a slightly different wavelength. We have British friends here and Canadian friends................not on as deep a level yet as the UK friendships, but they didn't grow overnight either.
The way the Canadians express politeness is just different, it is culturally different, and I have always found them extremely pleasant, and genuine people.

Like you said, maybe as you are unhappy here, all aspects of life here is bothering you. My husband was very homesick and in a bit of a state of shock when we first got here, and he used to look upon everything negatively.............but it passed, and he came to the conclusion that things were no worse or no better here........just different, (Actually, I have to say, we now think lots of things are better here) but that is our experience and is not the same for everyone.

Have you thought about trying another province, or do you feel Canada is just not for you ?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R2D2
.............but it passed, and he came to the conclusion that things were no worse or no better here........just different
I agree with you. I was just letting off some steam. We have been here long enough to adjust.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Clare,

Hi there yes Clare is my real name
thats a coincidence eh does the other Clare live here or just on a work permit? always interested to learn of other brit expats

So where are you originally from? sorry if i missed that

Clare
Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
Hi there yes Clare is my real name
thats a coincidence eh does the other Clare live here or just on a work permit? always interested to learn of other brit expats

So where are you originally from? sorry if i missed that

Clare
The other Clare is on a work permit, she has been here for a few years now, I believe. We are originally from Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.