Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Hi Everyone Im Clare im 29 and
I just moved from Essex,England to Edmonton Alberta
my fiance is canadian and already had a house here, its been a long process to get here, we've been here for a few weeks at a time over the course of 3 years but now we're finally here for good

i have a 5 year old son too who seems to be settling in alot better than i am even though its now summer holidays and im finding it hard to keep him entertained all the time especially since we dont know anyone here except my fiancee and his family live 9 hours away by car so it really is just us
and i still dont know my way around the city yet and i cant drive yet im still waiting for my lisence info from UK although the prospect of driving here does seem a bit scarey right now lol

its only been 4 weeks and im finding it tougher than i thought i would
i feel pretty lonely not that im not really happy to be here because i am
i just feel kinda isolated at the moment
my fiancee works sometimes long hours during the week so its just me and my son all day
im hoping it will get easier soon
it would be great to hear from other people who have moved here and /or in the same situation
Thanks
Clare

Last edited by ClareEdm; Jul 13th 2006 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:01 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum, Clare.

I'm sure some of the Edmonton members will see your thread in due course.

Good luck with everything.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum, Clare.

I'm sure some of the Edmonton members will see your thread in due course.

Good luck with everything.
Hello Thanks for the welcome
I was just in Calgary on tues night at the stampede me and my son went to see Kenny Chesney at the saddledome it was great
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:58 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Clare and welcome to sunny Edmonton

Myself and my family (husband and 2 small boys) have been here since May 05. We live out in Sherwood Park and just love it. It takes a good while to feel comfortable in your surroundings as everything is so new and so different too in a lot of ways. And I know how hard it is at first as you feel stuck at home all day without knowing anyone and without a car to get around it must be even more difficult.

Once your son starts at school or pre-school then I'm sure it'll make a big difference to you. I found the Mums at school so friendly, and because our kids all started Kindergarten at the same time, i wasn't joining an established group............we all became one big group of friends very quickly.

Where in the city are you? Have you managed to get out to the Rockies yet ? It always perks me up when we go there. Makes me feel so lucky to be here. It is a great place to live and given time I really hope you all settle well.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

(Mrs Ralstne here today!)
Hi Clare and welcome to the forum, myself and my partner (Ralstne proper)will be arriving in Edmonton three weeks from today! We're feeling a little nervous but really looking forward to settling in and exploring the area. I know that reading through the posts here on BE has been an enormous help for us. We're particularly grateful to R2D2 and Albertajaycee for sharing some of their experiences and thoughts. Sometimes its reassuring just to know there are others in the same boat. Look forward to hearing more from you in the future, I'm sure you'll have some answers for the many questions I'm bound to have after I arrive!
Sophie
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Welcome to Edmonton.

We have been here for just over a year now, and love it.

We have two children 7 & 5, and live in the Brookside area, in the SW. Always happy to meet new friends, PM me and we could arrange something.

Linda P
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Just re-read your post......that you do not drive here, I can honestly say that in the UK I had never driven on the motorway, (unless you class half and hour at 2am with an open road as motorway driving).
I had a few days here very nervously driving around.....then it all clicked into place, I drive far more here and it's a lot easier with the grid system.

PM me and we can sort it out.

Linda P
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:42 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda P
Just re-read your post......that you do not drive here, I can honestly say that in the UK I had never driven on the motorway, (unless you class half and hour at 2am with an open road as motorway driving).
I had a few days here very nervously driving around.....then it all clicked into place, I drive far more here and it's a lot easier with the grid system.

PM me and we can sort it out.

Linda P
Count me in too Linda ,and Clare , if you want to, we could all meet up together. I have transport, so I can fit around you guys. Shame you are not here yet Sophie, or you could come along too.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:36 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by ralstne
(Mrs Ralstne here today!)
Hi Clare and welcome to the forum, myself and my partner (Ralstne proper)will be arriving in Edmonton three weeks from today! We're feeling a little nervous but really looking forward to settling in and exploring the area. I know that reading through the posts here on BE has been an enormous help for us. We're particularly grateful to R2D2 and Albertajaycee for sharing some of their experiences and thoughts. Sometimes its reassuring just to know there are others in the same boat. Look forward to hearing more from you in the future, I'm sure you'll have some answers for the many questions I'm bound to have after I arrive!
Sophie
Aaaw its nice of you to say that. We didn't find this forum until we were here, and I would have loved some words of encouragement and advice beforehand, so I guess thats why I like to help as much as I can now. It is a scary thing to do, and to know you are not alone doing it has sure helped us.

The Canadians are lovely people and I have started to get some really nice friends, but it is also nice to have other Brits to chat to, especially ones who have done the exact same thing as you have. Linda's family and ours have already met up and her and her family are lovely people.(were your ears burning Linda ???)

Best of luck Sophie and Ralstne for the next few weeks. Keep in mind that its a big adventure and the beginning of a whole new chapter...................and once you've settled into that beautiful new home of yours, you'll soon forget all the hassle of actually getting here. Keep us posted and anything you need in the meantime, just shout !

Debbie
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Welcome to Alberta!

I hope you start to feel a little more settled soon, I felt odd for a long time. I missed all that new in England but at the same time knew I didn't want to go back. Hubby was at work, daughter at school and only knew the next door neighbours who were at work all day too. We were also in a house we couldn't make home, don't know why it was lovely maybe just to new or too big. Got a job, moved house and wow! Life is good. Still miss lots of the stuff I knew but have also forgotten about some of the stuff I missed. So meet up with the girls that have PM'd you have a natter and a cuppa, take a deep breath and let yourself take time to be at home in your new surroundings. Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Oh thanks guys i feel so much better just reading your replys
and knowing others are in the same boat too
I would love to meet up that would be great and our kids are around the same age too
Im in the Newton area of Edmonton
how old are your boys Debbie?

Im sure i'll get used to the driving once i start too

good luck with the move Sophie where abouts in Edmonton are you going to?

I havent been out to the rockies this time around yet but im hoping to get married up there somewhere when we do (no date set yet)
we went to Jasper national Park a couple years ago and stayed in a gorgeous log cabin it was lovely up there
cant wait to go back

I 'd like to take my little boy fishing or something sometime this summer
before school starts

lemme know when you'd like to meet up and we'll arrange something for sure, that would be great
Clare
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:46 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
Oh thanks guys i feel so much better just reading your replys
and knowing others are in the same boat too
I would love to meet up that would be great and our kids are around the same age too
Im in the Newton area of Edmonton
how old are your boys Debbie?

Im sure i'll get used to the driving once i start too

good luck with the move Sophie where abouts in Edmonton are you going to?

I havent been out to the rockies this time around yet but im hoping to get married up there somewhere when we do (no date set yet)
we went to Jasper national Park a couple years ago and stayed in a gorgeous log cabin it was lovely up there
cant wait to go back

I 'd like to take my little boy fishing or something sometime this summer
before school starts

lemme know when you'd like to meet up and we'll arrange something for sure, that would be great
Clare

My eldest has just turned 6 and the little one is 2 and a half, and talking my ear off.!
I don't know where Newton is off the top of my head.................i don't get into the city that much to be familiar with the areas yet, but we could certainly arrange something during the summer hols. Pm me or Linda and we'll see about meeting somewhere easy for you to get to.

The wedding in the Mountains sounds very romantic. We have just been in to Kananaskis for the first time and in Kananaskis Village itself they have 2 lovely hotels and fountains and walkways all set in the lovely mountains......we have booked to go for our anniversary there. Its beautiful and there was a wedding party there when we were.............maybe a place to consider.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I can't seem to find newton on my map???? where is it close to?

Linda P

Last edited by Linda P; Jul 14th 2006 at 5:53 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Is this a possible get-together in the making? If so I would be interested in meeting some people (if native-born Canadians are allowed - my HB is the British half of our relationship! ) We arrived in Edmonton a week ago for my new job, and are living in the Blue Quills area, near Heritage Mall in the south west. We don't have a car yet either, but boy oh boy will we be getting one soon!

I don't have any kids yet to bring, but as we recently found out we are expecting our first bundle of joy in Jan/Feb, I would love to hear from those who already have them!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Linda P
I can't seem to find newton on my map???? where is it close to?

Linda P
Im still not sure where I am myself lol but its along the Yellowhead trail ? if that helps
fiancee says its North East even though our address says North West< Edmonton

I'll PM you with details

Kananaskis Village sounds lovely & romantic im searching for the perfect spot so hard to choose when theres so many gorgeous spots up there

Anya- come along more the merrier and congrats on your news!

Clare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.