Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by ghost2006
The other Clare is on a work permit, she has been here for a few years now, I believe. We are originally from Australia.
Australia! cool! ive always wanted to go there
must take some getting used to the winters here after living there
ive only experienced one winter here so far last year and aparently it was a really mild one
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:45 am
Just Joined

ghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant futureghost2006 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
Australia! cool! ive always wanted to go there
must take some getting used to the winters here after living there
ive only experienced one winter here so far last year and aparently it was a really mild one
Its not really the weather that is most difficult. Its the cost to travel home to visit family and the distance. We can only afford to go home once every 2 - 3 years (we haven't been back yet). Similarly its very difficult for family to come all the way to Canada to visit us. My british work mates go home every year, sometimes twice a year. You can get very good deals to UK/Europe but to Aus the average is over $2000 for a return ticket and even more if your coming from Aus to visit.

I've had three winters here. You get use to it. However, every winter we want to go home and move away from Canada for good. When summer comes we change our mind and think about settling down here for good.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by ghost2006

I've had three winters here. You get use to it. However, every winter we want to go home and move away from Canada for good.
If it helps at all, I was born here and feel like that every winter. By late Feb/early March, it is really hard to accept there are still two more months to go before grass and leaves make an appearance, and travel deals start looking veerrry tempting.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:58 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hello Im new/anyone in Edmonton?

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
Hi Everyone Im Clare im 29 and
I just moved from Essex,England to Edmonton Alberta
my fiance is canadian and already had a house here, its been a long process to get here, we've been here for a few weeks at a time over the course of 3 years but now we're finally here for good

i have a 5 year old son too who seems to be settling in alot better than i am even though its now summer holidays and im finding it hard to keep him entertained all the time especially since we dont know anyone here except my fiancee and his family live 9 hours away by car so it really is just us
and i still dont know my way around the city yet and i cant drive yet im still waiting for my lisence info from UK although the prospect of driving here does seem a bit scarey right now lol

its only been 4 weeks and im finding it tougher than i thought i would
i feel pretty lonely not that im not really happy to be here because i am
i just feel kinda isolated at the moment
my fiancee works sometimes long hours during the week so its just me and my son all day
im hoping it will get easier soon
it would be great to hear from other people who have moved here and /or in the same situation
Thanks
Clare
Hi Clare and everyone who has responded to Clare my hubby and I are moving out in a few months to Edmonton and I would love to have some more info about the place from a Brit point of view - or, if it would be ok, to meet up when we get settled out there - that mall trip sounded good LOL.

It all seems sooooo complicated and although the Canadians are lovely and helpful it can be really useful to get an alternative point of view

Thanks
Ki
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:05 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ki76

I would love to have some more info about the place from a Brit point of view
Thanks
Ki
This thread about Edmonton is currently on this page, mostly good things said and a couple of negatives.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387833

I lived there for nine years in the sixties and seventies and really liked it. I was transferred to Calgary through my work and like it even more, however if the transfer had never taken place I'm sure that I would still enjoy living in Edmonton.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:57 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Clare and everyone who has responded to Clare my hubby and I are moving out in a few months to Edmonton and I would love to have some more info about the place from a Brit point of view - or, if it would be ok, to meet up when we get settled out there - that mall trip sounded good LOL.

It all seems sooooo complicated and although the Canadians are lovely and helpful it can be really useful to get an alternative point of view

Thanks
Ki
Hi Ki
You are not alone. We have only been here since May 05, Linda and family slightly longer, Clare only about a month. We met up at the mall with our children and had a nice chat over coffee and cinnamon rolls. Would be more than happy to do the same for you guys. Linda and I have met before (and since).
Another couple from Blighty are coming to Edm .....about NOW I think too, so the Brits are invading the place.
If you haven't already, then have a read of the Edm thread. That gives a few different viewpoints. Where abouts are you heading too.?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:13 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
This thread about Edmonton is currently on this page, mostly good things said and a couple of negatives.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387833

I lived there for nine years in the sixties and seventies and really liked it. I was transferred to Calgary through my work and like it even more, however if the transfer had never taken place I'm sure that I would still enjoy living in Edmonton.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve - nice to hear that the Calgary/Edmonton battle has equal weighting in your mind....however, which team do you support? Oilers or Flames LOL

Ki
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:20 am
Bright light!!

Originally Posted by R2D2
Hi Ki
You are not alone. We have only been here since May 05, Linda and family slightly longer, Clare only about a month. We met up at the mall with our children and had a nice chat over coffee and cinnamon rolls. Would be more than happy to do the same for you guys. Linda and I have met before (and since).
Another couple from Blighty are coming to Edm .....about NOW I think too, so the Brits are invading the place.
If you haven't already, then have a read of the Edm thread. That gives a few different viewpoints. Where abouts are you heading too.?
Hi R2D2
LOL, does sound like the Brits are indeed invading - according to my native Canadian buddy there, the more the merrier and i'm with him on that!!

I will take a look at the thread, thanks to Steve as well for that suggestion.

It would be great to meet up - hubby and I have no children so there would only be us but seeing as how cinamon rolls are some of our faves it would be rude not to indulge over a nice chat

We're still undecided - looking at St. Albert and Spruce Grove and, latterly, the Summerside area. He is going to be working near Whitemud but we have been told on here that it's only about at 30 min drive from St. Albert/Spruce Grove - hopefully this is also in snow conditions as we have no experience in this weather at all!
Any advice you have would be great
Ki
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:21 am
Bright light!!

oh, LOL, just realised I had read it
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:29 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Steve - nice to hear that the Calgary/Edmonton battle has equal weighting in your mind....however, which team do you support? Oilers or Flames LOL

Ki
I push comes to shove and I have to declare support for an NHL team, then it's the Flames hands down. I am a true Oiler hater. I know that admission is not going win me any friends in the Chuck. :scared::scared: (willmore forgive me. )

My real support is for the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL (Junior hockey).

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Aug 2nd 2006 at 6:39 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:35 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I push comes to shove and I have to declare support for an NHL team, then it's the Flames hands down. I am a true Oiler hater. I know that admission is not going win me any friends in the Chuck. :scared::scared: (willmore forgive me. )

Cheers
Steve
Wilmore only supported the Oilers cos they were Cannucks (and shes a glory hunter )
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:39 am
Bright light!!

Cheers
Steve
Flames girl all the way - however, I love hockey so will just be happy to watch real live games anywhere (just not going to wear my jersery to the games in case of lynching LOL )
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=R2D2]Another couple from Blighty are coming to Edm .....about NOW I think too, so the Brits are invading the place.QUOTE]

Hi R2D2 I hope you mean us?! Yep, tomorrow is the big day :scared:,We've had a week full of very tearful goodbyes with yet more to come in the morning at the airport. It's all seriously weird and sooooo not how I thought I'd be feeling at this stage but we still can't wait to get out there and settle in.....we'll update upon arrival
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:47 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=ralstne]
Originally Posted by R2D2
Another couple from Blighty are coming to Edm .....about NOW I think too, so the Brits are invading the place.QUOTE]

Hi R2D2 I hope you mean us?! Yep, tomorrow is the big day :scared:,We've had a week full of very tearful goodbyes with yet more to come in the morning at the airport. It's all seriously weird and sooooo not how I thought I'd be feeling at this stage but we still can't wait to get out there and settle in.....we'll update upon arrival
I did mean you guys, so its tomorrow hey !!!! Don't be upset if its p***ing down when you get up to Edm. They are giving it rainy for Fri, but nice again for the weekend. Cooler than it was, about 21/22. Just nice.
Hope you cope with the airport goodbyes. I was a mess at Manchester airport and it was only us there ! We said our "final" goodbyes the day before.
Best of luck guys and post your experiences when you get 2 minutes...............sometime next yr maybe !!!!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

dogboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to see that there's lots of us UK boys and girls invading Edmonton. The lady and I have been here for a few months now and have started to settle in nicely. It'd be good if there is a big meet up for all us new Edmontonians and it's something that my other half would definately be interested in - she's already joined the 'newcomers to Edmonton' group which is full of nice n' friendly folk from all over the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.