gutted!

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Paperwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: gutted!

Does your Mum have to go? Can you not organise childcare in Canada? Your Mum could travel over with you, on holiday, for a few mths to help you get settled & then return home & you can start your new life with your child/ren. I don't understand why your plans have to end because your Mum can't emigrate with you?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vancouverism
I doubt very much whether the OP's mother would be able to essentially "live" in Canada just by popping over the border every six months and then returning. The Immigration rules state that six months is the maximum and they would quickly become suspicious of someone who was effectively never leaving Canada as they then cease to be a genuine visitor.

Similarly if you are offering six months stints to friends etc you (or they) will need to show that they can support themselves (without working) for the full duration.
They won't be working as I will be supporting them obviously. I have never had to show that I can support myself on any of my trips to Canada and all of them have been staying with friends for weeks at a time etc. As UK citizens we get 6 months in Canada as long as we don't work.

There was a post on here ages ago about a family that had never got PR for their son. They had either gone on twp or something and when they did PR he was too old. He had been going in and out of Canada for years and being supported by his parents. He hadnt lived in the UK for years and needed to get legal status in Canada.

Sarah
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:02 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vancouverism
I doubt very much whether the OP's mother would be able to essentially "live" in Canada just by popping over the border every six months and then returning. The Immigration rules state that six months is the maximum and they would quickly become suspicious of someone who was effectively never leaving Canada as they then cease to be a genuine visitor.

Similarly if you are offering six months stints to friends etc you (or they) will need to show that they can support themselves (without working) for the full duration.
Yeah. They could try it, but immigration might get suspicious of a bunch of 6 month visas in her passport and deny her at the border. Might be better just to come in & not leave, thereby staying out of border guard eyeshot. I have mates in the US doing that.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madwife
As UK citizens we get 6 months in Canada as long as we don't work.
Its not written in stone anywhere. Any time you come its entirely at the discretion of the immigration officer. The repeat visits may work, they may not. There are no guarantees at all.

Friends would certainly be seen as "working" if they were doing childcare. Family, probably not. Its certainly a grey area, with tax complications and health insurance pit falls for sure.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:03 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paperwork
Does your Mum have to go? Can you not organise childcare in Canada? Your Mum could travel over with you, on holiday, for a few mths to help you get settled & then return home & you can start your new life with your child/ren. I don't understand why your plans have to end because your Mum can't emigrate with you?

I can totally understand why the OP wants her mum looking after her kids. Good daycare don't grow on trees.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yeah. They could try it, but immigration might get suspicious of a bunch of 6 month visas in her passport and deny her at the border. Might be better just to come in & not leave, thereby staying out of border guard eyeshot. I have mates in the US doing that.
And therby guarantee that sponsorship will NEVER happen by overstaying
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not written in stone anywhere. Any time you come its entirely at the discretion of the immigration officer. The repeat visits may work, they may not. There are no guarantees at all.

Friends would certainly be seen as "working" if they were doing childcare. Family, probably not. Its certainly a grey area, with tax complications and health insurance pit falls for sure.

Yeah, that's what would make me nervous. And if she's denied it'd be harder to get PR later no?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:07 pm

And therby guarantee that sponsorship will NEVER happen by overstaying
any worse than being denied at the border?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yeah, that's what would make me nervous. And if she's denied it'd be harder to get PR later no?
Most likely to be given a short stay to get affairs in order rather than be denied entry. Either way its better than an illegal stay
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Paperwork is an unknown quantity at this point

I can totally understand why the OP wants her mum looking after her kids. Good daycare don't grow on trees.
I understand why the OP's 1st choice would be to have her Mum with her & minding the kids, I just don't understand why it's the only choice iykwim. Her Mum could go out, stay 6mths & help get the OP & her child/ren settled, help choosing good, relaible childcare & then leave & re-visit frequently. Surely it's an option anyway? If the OP really wants to emigrate then there must be an alternative solution somewhere. Where there's a will there's a way & all that.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Paperwork
I understand why the OP's 1st choice would be to have her Mum with her & minding the kids, I just don't understand why it's the only choice iykwim.
One hates to say it, but yes, life goes on. Parents can (and often do) die abruptly with no warning, and then you have to deal with life going on anyway...I wouldnt want to plan my life around the certainty that my parents would be indefinite free childminders.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 12th 2010 at 8:46 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

I went in last year with a 6 month return ticket and after normal immigration was taken through to next department to explain where i was staying, how i was supporting myself etc, fortunately i had anticipated this and had proof of funds etc, but as you say it is at the discretion of immigraton whether they let you stay that long British Citizen or not.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

lulublu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
I went in last year with a 6 month return ticket and after normal immigration was taken through to next department to explain where i was staying, how i was supporting myself etc, fortunately i had anticipated this and had proof of funds etc, but as you say it is at the discretion of immigraton whether they let you stay that long British Citizen or not.
hi
thanks for all ur posts, generally very helpfull.

I have my reasons for taking my mum with me. me and my mum are the only family either of us have, it is both of our dream to live in canada and also the job that i do would require me to work shift pattern and to be honest im not sure i would feel comfortable leaving my daughter with someone overnight while i worked. i dont do it here so therefore wud not feel different over there. i do not have a partner to have moral support from on such a big move and personally wud find it really hard on my own in a strange country so far from what im used on my own with a three year old. my mum took early retirement after advice from immigration agents and it was her wish to be principal childcare while i worked.
for some, maybe leaving parents behind is ok and im not dissing anyone who does but for me i cud not do it.
i have thought out things alongside my mum and were in agreement, all we want is a new start in canada same as anyone else who emigrates. on my visa i wud be able to take my OH but do not have one, i sometimes think wud u really move without ur other half, see not all off us have that luxury.
To those of u who have provided advice ty so much i may well ask for me if i can sort this dilemma out. am awaiting an email form the canadian embassey as we speak..fingers crossesd xx
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lulublu
hi
thanks for all ur posts, generally very helpfull.

I have my reasons for taking my mum with me. me and my mum are the only family either of us have, it is both of our dream to live in canada and also the job that i do would require me to work shift pattern and to be honest im not sure i would feel comfortable leaving my daughter with someone overnight while i worked. i dont do it here so therefore wud not feel different over there. i do not have a partner to have moral support from on such a big move and personally wud find it really hard on my own in a strange country so far from what im used on my own with a three year old. my mum took early retirement after advice from immigration agents and it was her wish to be principal childcare while i worked.
for some, maybe leaving parents behind is ok and im not dissing anyone who does but for me i cud not do it.
i have thought out things alongside my mum and were in agreement, all we want is a new start in canada same as anyone else who emigrates. on my visa i wud be able to take my OH but do not have one, i sometimes think wud u really move without ur other half, see not all off us have that luxury.
To those of u who have provided advice ty so much i may well ask for me if i can sort this dilemma out. am awaiting an email form the canadian embassey as we speak..fingers crossesd xx
May I ask what have you asked the Canadian Embassy?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Hmm What about the little ones Father... My childcare for my son for the next few years will be visiting Family and friends etc interspersed with my son flying back to the UK to see his Father for weeks if not a month at a time.

I wont need day to day childcare, just someone around to be there at night time if I am called out, to get him up for school etc. make sure he has some breakfast. All my appointments other than that can fit into school time or during holiday activities etc.

What about Gran taking the little one back to blighty every so often to see Dad etc for a month or so and then Gran has to bring her back again. I am sure child care could be sorted out at other times from a more sustainable source.
Just an idea! I would never let child care stop me from emigrating, as has been said you can not rely on relatives to always be there unfortunately, whatever country you are in.

Sarah x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.