Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Grocery bargains

Grocery bargains

Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery bargains

[QUOTE=BristolUK;7139032]Not really money off coupons...although the co-op sometimes does that. It's more than a leaflet...several pages full of products reduced that week. This might give an idea.

I think you might enjoy the price of prawns here from what I saw on the Sainsbury's site earlier.

I had a quick play on the link good thing is if they are always changing them you can have quite a varied diet mmmm

Originally Posted by sas-lou
I have a ton of flyers delivered every week .. so i grab a cuppa and sift my way through them ..

I have found that offers in one store are very similar to offers in another .. Where is the competition? ..

I usually shop between 3 stores, zellers, loeb and loblaws .. if its on offer i usually grab it ..

I have noticed though that items that are reduced 50% for quick sale, the sell by date is like 3 days away .. Yes freezer is full lol ..

When i first got here, i tried to do a big shop, thinking i could then do smaller shops throguhout the month .. but couldnt do it, only spent $116 so i just grab bits here and there ..

My children and me are very fussy eaters .. coming up with ideas for meals just gives me an headache .. quick and convenient processed meals are expensive to me anyway, so trying to find something that we can all eat at the same time is testing me at the moment .. English breakfast again then (without the sauages) ..
What sort of things have you been eating ?
Can you get what you used to eat here ??
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

OK i have my flyers, lets see how this project works

Giant Tiger

bravo spag sauce 67c
best value white bread 99c
spalding bacon 1.49
clarks beans 69c
mccain french fries 2.97
goldfish 1.97
Pringles 1.47
cadburys fingers 1.47

Foodland

ground beef $4 for 3lbs
whole pork leg $1 lb
seedless grapes $3 for 2lbs
whole chickens 2.29lb
schneiders bacon 3.99
mortimers pies 2.49 each
europes best veggies 2.69

thats just a selection from the foodland flyer. thats the only one we got this week.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Here are a few of our typical dinners and total cost for FOUR reproduced from another thread.

Supermarket Meat Pie ($2), spud (70c) and mixed veg (70c) = $3.40
Chicken Portion ($3) Roast spuds (70c) fresh veg ($2.50) & gravy = $6.20
Steak ($5.50) & Chips (70c) = $6.20
Pork chop ($4.50) Rice (80c) Mushroom sauce (60c) = $5.90
Chicken Alfredo. Chicken breast ($2.50) Pasta (80c) sauce ingreds ($2) = $5.30
Our own recipe - salmon and shrimp, 'secret' sauce & rice = $6.00
Our own recipe - chicken breast, secret sauce & rice or pasta = $4.00
Hamburgers ($2) Rolls ($1.20) The 'works' ($1) chips (70c) = $4.90
Chicken casserole -chicken ($2.50) spud (70c) other ingreds ($3) = $6.20
Pollock ($2) spud (70c) mixed veg (70c) = $3.40
Lemon Sole ($2.50) salad ($1.50) garlic bread rolls (80c) = $4.80

The rice and pasta dishes always have leftovers and they become lunches over the next couple of days. Leftover spuds become next days breakfast; diced and fried with eggs.

Many Brits complain about a lack of choice in the supermarket. I find that comment is only justified when it comes to ready made stuff. Those lovely Duck Breasts in plum sauce that Tesco had....nothing like that here. Mind you, one of those packs of two portions was about £6 or £7 as I recall 5 years ago.

The joints of beef and cuts of steak have completely different names.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Here are a few of our typical dinners and total cost for FOUR reproduced from another thread.

Supermarket Meat Pie ($2), spud (70c) and mixed veg (70c) = $3.40
Chicken Portion ($3) Roast spuds (70c) fresh veg ($2.50) & gravy = $6.20
Steak ($5.50) & Chips (70c) = $6.20
Pork chop ($4.50) Rice (80c) Mushroom sauce (60c) = $5.90
Chicken Alfredo. Chicken breast ($2.50) Pasta (80c) sauce ingreds ($2) = $5.30
Our own recipe - salmon and shrimp, 'secret' sauce & rice = $6.00
Our own recipe - chicken breast, secret sauce & rice or pasta = $4.00
Hamburgers ($2) Rolls ($1.20) The 'works' ($1) chips (70c) = $4.90
Chicken casserole -chicken ($2.50) spud (70c) other ingreds ($3) = $6.20
Pollock ($2) spud (70c) mixed veg (70c) = $3.40
Lemon Sole ($2.50) salad ($1.50) garlic bread rolls (80c) = $4.80

The rice and pasta dishes always have leftovers and they become lunches over the next couple of days. Leftover spuds become next days breakfast; diced and fried with eggs.

Many Brits complain about a lack of choice in the supermarket. I find that comment is only justified when it comes to ready made stuff. Those lovely Duck Breasts in plum sauce that Tesco had....nothing like that here. Mind you, one of those packs of two portions was about £6 or £7 as I recall 5 years ago.

The joints of beef and cuts of steak have completely different names.
Yes, joint names, its taken me a while to get used to that..

Rump steak is eye of round
sirloin tip, isn't sirloin...

Where's yer flyer prices?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Where's yer flyer prices?

The ones at the beginning are this week's. We had the Co-Op flyer for the next week today, the rest should arrive tomorrow.

Co-Op has 500g bacon for $1.89, navels @ 33c and Boneless Pork Sirloin @ $2.29 lb. Not one of their better weeks.

But I'm still waiting for someone to post the best UK examples.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

The ones at the beginning are this week's. We had the Co-Op flyer for the next week today, the rest should arrive tomorrow.

Co-Op has 500g bacon for $1.89, navels @ 33c and Boneless Pork Sirloin @ $2.29 lb. Not one of their better weeks.

But I'm still waiting for someone to post the best UK examples.
we don't have a co-op in ontario,
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Potatoes with cheese, chicken with salad, spaghetti with sauce, beans on toast, scrambled egg on toast,soup, English breakfast, that sort of thing.

I have found cream crackers, bisto gravy (although nomatter how little i use, the consistency is very thick) Carr's water crackers, i have found a yorky pud mix from club house (they come up perfect), HP sauce .. i think that is it ..

The way i am feeling though tonight, i'm ready to book a flight home and taste all the things that make me feel good including chocolate .. .. 29 years old and i want a hug and some reassurance from my mum .. thats a different thread though
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Potatoes with cheese, chicken with salad, spaghetti with sauce, beans on toast, scrambled egg on toast,soup, English breakfast, that sort of thing.

I have found cream crackers, bisto gravy (although nomatter how little i use, the consistency is very thick) Carr's water crackers, i have found a yorky pud mix from club house (they come up perfect), HP sauce .. i think that is it ..

The way i am feeling though tonight, i'm ready to book a flight home and taste all the things that make me feel good including chocolate .. .. 29 years old and i want a hug and some reassurance from my mum .. thats a different thread though
Aw Sas big hug hun, when we come over i will bring you some treats eh don't think your mum will fit in my bag but some other things you like mmmm

Definately do Choc whats your fav ?

English offers there are loads at the moment,
Aldi ( although there isn't one here so i don't know what quality it all is ) are selling Brocoli, carrots, potatoes, apples and lots of other fruit and veg all for 49p a bag,

Tuna as i said in Sainsburys, i don't buy any ready made meals so i never look at the prices ? They have lots of buy one get one free, fruit and veg
Be good to yourself salmon fillets £2.00 for 2,
Will have a look and post about other offers,

Tesco (sorry sas )
Organic mince at Tesco is £2.20 500gr
3x 500gr mix and match meat or fish for £10.00 choice of chicken breast, pork loin chops, fish varies, mince or lamb
Beers all half price supose thats some peoples essentials
And Wine saw some at Tesco for £1.99 down from £4.99
Cheaper than going to France don't know what it was like though ?
Birds eye fish fingers £1.00
Apples, satsumas 2 for £2.00
Walkers crisps (sorry ) 4 for £4.00 packs of 6
Lots ofbuy one get one free on cakes, bagels, jaffa cakes, lyons grannies cakes, mini rolls, Boys flapjack etc etc
Napolina tin toms x4 half price £1.94
Every shelf has offers Cathedral mature cheddar £2.00 half price,

I tend to buy things on offer that i would normally buy and freeze or store,
Get some things from Costco like toilet rolls, so much cheaper esp when i am supplying 2 at uni and have the others here

New years desicion is to eat less meat we do eat lots of fish anyway but have 2 vegetarians here so going to try it there way for a bit ?
Hope that helps but will get more info when i go shopping later
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:15 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
English offers there are loads at the moment.

Sainsburys, They have lots of buy one get one free, fruit and veg.
Be good to yourself salmon fillets £2.00 for 2,

Tesco Organic mince at Tesco is £2.20 500gr
3x 500gr mix and match meat or fish for £10.00 choice of chicken breast, pork loin chops, fish varies, mince or lamb

Apples, satsumas 2 for £2.00

Cathedral mature cheddar £2.00 half price,
Mince (ground beef) here is generally $1.89 to $2.69 a lb depending on regular, medium, lean or Extra lean. 1/2 price Salmon looks good.
Cathedral cheddar....yum....that's one thing where, for flavour, your normal price will be way better than the equivalent here.

I pay $4.99 for a ten pound bag of apples at the local shop. Xmas clementines were just over $4 for a 5lb tray last week.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Cathedral city. Miss that! We used to buy a big chunk every week. Prices must be much lower in NB - enough Lemon Sole for six people for only $2.50 seems very cheap. I'm doing chicken drumsticks tonight for four, and they were $6 for a pack of ten, which we will easily eat, I suspect. Mince enough for two spaghetti bolognese meals is usually $4.50 ish so a fairly cheap meal. I was amazed to see a relatively small pack of beef bones on sale for $4 the other day - I though most butchers gave bones away!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooka
Cathedral city. Miss that! We used to buy a big chunk every week. Prices must be much lower in NB - enough Lemon Sole for six people for only $2.50 seems very cheap. I'm doing chicken drumsticks tonight for four, and they were $6 for a pack of ten, which we will easily eat, I suspect. Mince enough for two spaghetti bolognese meals is usually $4.50 ish so a fairly cheap meal. I was amazed to see a relatively small pack of beef bones on sale for $4 the other day - I though most butchers gave bones away!
Nooks - I can give you contact names if you want to buy a whole organic lamb or half a grass fed cow from local producers if you like. They're all butchered up nicely, wrapped, weighed and pre-frozen. It's works out roughly 1/2 the price of supermarket meat.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
Nooks - I can give you contact names if you want to buy a whole organic lamb or half a grass fed cow from local producers if you like. They're all butchered up nicely, wrapped, weighed and pre-frozen. It's works out roughly 1/2 the price of supermarket meat.
This is the best way to buy beef or lamb provided you have the freezer space to store it.

Unfortunately we don't eat much beef these days due to me, cholesterol and coronary artery disease, so it's no longer practical for us.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Fab. You are a star! I would definitely be interested in that.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by nooka
Prices must be much lower in NB - enough Lemon Sole for six people for only $2.50 seems very cheap.
Not quite six. We're 4. It's our rice and pasta dishes that make enough for 6 or more.

It's also not the regular price - I paid $4 for some packs, each of which will do the four just a few days ago - but that list of meals was 'typical' as the main ingredients are typically available in any given week at one of the stores at that reduced price or (for example) that 3k box of chicken breasts will easily last until the next offer at the same fantastic price.

I'm not sure about NB groceries being cheaper. I was in Quebec before NB and I saw much the same prices. Bread was actually a better deal there than here. I also recall someone from another province - out west, I think - posting some flyer prices and they were less than here.

It's funny....in all the threads about grocery prices there seem to be three groups of people. Those who pick up bargains where they can, those who know they spend about $25 on a home cooked meal and those who don't think about it.

There are not many of us in the former group but we do seem to be concentrated in Atlantic Canada.
Yes-can-do in NS, I think it was, even posted about two dining out at a pub for $12 including a glass of wine.

I think if I was joining BE now, I'd call myself flyerman or something.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 9th 2009 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:16 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if I was loining BE now, I'd call myself flyerman or something.
It funny because you're the voice of reason on here for new immigrants. You see a lot of people come on here and say that groceries are more expensive than the UK and if you shopped in a normal way like the UK (go into one shop and get your weekly shopping no matter what cost), then they're probably right. It takes a different mindset to grocery shop here and do it cheaper than the UK.... Of course there's some people who are loaded and don't care anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.