Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Grocery bargains

Grocery bargains

Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:27 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery bargains

Originally Posted by G77
It funny because you're the voice of reason on here for new immigrants. You see a lot of people come on here and say that groceries are more expensive than the UK and if you shopped in a normal way like the UK (go into one shop and get your weekly shopping no matter what cost), then they're probably right. It takes a different mindset to grocery shop here and do it cheaper than the UK.... Of course there's some people who are loaded and don't care anyway...
I'm not sure it's just mindset that matters. Convenience, availability and access to the better deals are all factors too. I care more about the little free time I have than driving the extra 20kms to save some $ on chicken or whatever.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not quite six. We're 4. It's our rice and pasta dishes that make enough for 6 or more.

It's also not the regular price - I paid $4 for some packs, each of which will do the four just a few days ago - but that list of meals was 'typical' as the main ingredients are typically available in any given week at one of the stores at that reduced price or (for example) that 3k box of chicken breasts will easily last until the next offer at the same fantastic price.

I'm not sure about NB groceries being cheaper. I was in Quebec before NB and I saw much the same prices. Bread was actually a better deal there than here. I also recall someone from another province - out west, I think - posting some flyer prices and they were less than here.

It's funny....in all the threads about grocery prices there seem to be three groups of people. Those who pick up bargains where they can, those who know they spend about $25 on a home cooked meal and those who don't think about it.

There are not many of us in the former group but we do seem to be concentrated in Atlantic Canada.
Yes-can-do in NS, I think it was, even posted about two dining out at a pub for $12 including a glass of wine.

I think if I was joining BE now, I'd call myself flyerman or something.
I'm sure you are right. In the UK I mostly just clicked on Ocado until I thought I had enough and didn't really pay much attention to the price. I am sure it that the effect of losing a very good salary for nine months, and the very large costs of immigrating twice in that period that has made me more aware of the prices of things. Going from not thinking about the cost, to worrying about finances just highlights the differences that much more. I just would have quite liked to stay in your third category! However, that's a have your cake and eat it rationale really.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm not sure it's just mindset that matters. Convenience, availability and access to the better deals are all factors too. I care more about the little free time I have than driving the extra 20kms to save some $ on chicken or whatever.
I agree, it takes me about three hours to do the weekly shop at the moment, as I tend to plan menus as I go along, and I'm still not finding everything that easily yet. If I tried to use several supermarkets I dread to think how long it would take! I'm sure in time I will find the place with the prices and quality that suit though. I'm still very happy with how much better the quality and range of food there is here compared with New York.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I agree I might be lucky in having a Sobeys store just a couple of minutes from a Superstore in two different parts of Moncton and a Co-Op on the way back from one pair, supported by the drugstore bargains.

I'm looking at moving to New Glasgow and the same stores there look to be a few minutes apart. I researched other places in NS where the same seems to be the case.

Prior to moving here I lived in Longueuil, QC where SuperC, Maxi and Loblaws were all close.

Perhaps I assume that it's the same everywhere and that - especially if one drives - if one can get to one supermarket, there will be an alternative nearby. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that most people who can get to one can easily get to another and between the two save $30 in every $100 of regular prices.
Originally Posted by nooka
I'm still very happy with how much better the quality and range of food there is here compared with New York.
That was a surprise. Lots of people have said choice is better in the US.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I assume that it's the same everywhere and that - especially if one drives - if one can get to one supermarket, there will be an alternative nearby. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that most people who can get to one can easily get to another and between the two save $30 in every $100 of regular prices.
All the major supermarkets are located within a few minutes of each other here. I just don't live close to them - not everyone's a city dweller.

Parking, shopping, loading up, driving to another supermarket and going through the whole process again holds no appeal whatsoever. It must add 50% to the time it takes to shop standing in line twice at a check-out. Add in the extra fuel and drive time, and it's a no-brainer. My own time's worth more than the saving.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Hi all

When I lived in Cyprus (3 years) I gave up on comparing to the UK because I wasn't buying in the UK and my math isn't quite what it used to be. However, I have to thank BristolUK for starting the thread because it gives you a basic idea of what you can expect to pay in Canada throughout the provinces. Nice one.

Shaun
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:03 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fledermaus
What's on offer in your neck of the woods won't be on offer in mine.
Hi there, changing the subject a little, we were in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago, nice place, we are looking at Lindsay/Lakefield to live.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:05 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Wortley`s
Hi there, changing the subject a little, we were in Peterborough a couple of weeks ago, nice place, we are looking at Lindsay/Lakefield to live.
Do they have shopping delivery in Canada as they do here, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc?????
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:09 pm
Pea Brain

Do they have shopping delivery in Canada as they do here, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc?????
Generally no.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You should've sent a pm and we could have met. Next time perhaps?

No internet shopping in Pbro. Lakefield is a very nice place to live, Buckhorn is prettier but Lakefield is a better place to live. We stayed with friends near Young's Point when we first arrived. Bridgenorth is also a good place to live.

Lindsay is OK but is a little "downmarket" rough in places, bit like Peterborough... We can recommend an excellent realtor, Andrew Galvin. He's just how realtors should be, excellent help.

PM me if you want to know anything more.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

All the major supermarkets are located within a few minutes of each other here. I just don't live close to them - not everyone's a city dweller.

Parking, shopping, loading up, driving to another supermarket and going through the whole process again holds no appeal whatsoever. It must add 50% to the time it takes to shop standing in line twice at a check-out. Add in the extra fuel and drive time, and it's a no-brainer. My own time's worth more than the saving.
But presumably you do use one of these stores that's 20 kms away once in a while? Even if you can't lessen the travel time by calling in on the way home from work or combining it with something else, that once in a while would be a 40km round trip. If they are close together, visiting two would be, what, a 42 km round trip? Not so different.

As for time spent inside, yes it will be a bit longer. But not by much because it will be a targeted shop. I'm in two stores for about an hour total instead of one store for 45 minutes.

The latest flyers are advertising chicken breasts @ $17.60 a kg in one store while they're on offer in the other @ $9.30 a kg. That's a big saving by anyone's standards. Thing is though, because we pay attention to the flyers, I bought the same thing last week @ $20 for THREE kilos.

So the 6 kilos I bought has saved $16 against the best price this week and $66 against the regular price.. Even if I didn't buy the 3kg boxes when I did knowing they're a great deal and just bought a couple of kilos this week, it would have saved me over $16 by buying at the 'right' store. For an extra 15 minutes. And that's just on one product.

I wish my time was worth that sort of money.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:39 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a surprise. Lots of people have said choice is better in the US.
The choice is far better in the US, where we might have a couple of alternatives of the same thing, they could have 4 or more. Prices on the whole are similar, except for dairy (in Ontario at least), which is MUCH cheaper in the US (Michigan anyway) and the knock on effect of anything containing dairy e.g. pizza, ice cream. If you're feeling particularly bored - take a look at the flyers for Kroger (www.kroger.com) and Meijer (www.meijer.com) use zip code 48030, these are the two main chains in metro Detroit.

The poster could have been referring to manhattan New York, which probably doesn't have huge supermarkets downtown.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:20 am
Oscar nominated

I thought the cereals were a tad expensive....until I saw that was for 12 packets. Who buys that many in one go?

No jokes about cereal killers please.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:26 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the cereals were a tad expensive....until I saw that was for 12 packets. Who buys that many in one go?

No jokes about cereal killers please.

That's the other thing that we've noticed are much cheaper and there's a greater range.... I Chex cereal, yet to see them here though - they sell about 5 different types in the US
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G77
The choice is far better in the US, where we might have a couple of alternatives of the same thing, they could have 4 or more. Prices on the whole are similar, except for dairy (in Ontario at least), which is MUCH cheaper in the US (Michigan anyway) and the knock on effect of anything containing dairy e.g. pizza, ice cream. If you're feeling particularly bored - take a look at the flyers for Kroger (www.kroger.com) and Meijer (www.meijer.com) use zip code 48030, these are the two main chains in metro Detroit.

The poster could have been referring to manhattan New York, which probably doesn't have huge supermarkets downtown.
Well I should clarify, choice of things I actually want to buy! So there might have been one and a half isles full of cereals, but as 90% of them were oversweetened, coloured and flavoured I didn't see it as choice, just irrelevant.

Anyway, no I wasn't in Manhatten, but on the edge of Queens. If I'd been prepared to drive half an hour or so into Long Island I could have reached Trader Joe (very nice, expensive) or Whole Food (very organic/whole food, ridiculously expensive). The two local supermarkets were disappointing, crowded and more expensive than we had expected. I have been pleasantly surprised here, I've been cooking much more, made lots of nice Christmas stuff, and only had one or two things I couldn't find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.