Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fishy question...

Fishy question...

Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishy question...

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Okay, so you start with 16, then you generate the other numbers simply by expressing the same value in other bases.... such as a base10, hexadecimal, binary etc?
Well done, old bean. So what are the last two numbers?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well done, old bean. So what are the last two numbers?
Could you be thinking 121 and 10,000?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you've finally got it!!

Without the slightest of clues from me too.

I had a mathematics teacher in high school who set this puzzle for fun with the A-level class. Three of us solved it.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 6th 2007 at 4:43 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:54 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Well, assuming you meant 121 and 1000, yes, you've finally got it!!

Without the slightest of clues from me too.

I had a mathematics teacher in high school who set this puzzle for fun with the A-level class. Three of us solved it.
Your "clues" were rather misleading, except for the very last one which was worded badly. I'll bet your teacher was a tad more helpful.

I have other news for you.... not only did I solve your number series two different ways - both correct - but I found a mistake that you made in that "series"....

You provided this list:

16 17 18 22 24 31 100

...but according to your solution (decreasing bases for 16 starting with base 10) the list should be:

16 17 20 22 24 31 100

Now I'd like you to come up with the 10th term beyond 10000.

So, that's two solutions plus I corrected your mistake.... man, you owe me a car.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 6th 2007 at 5:57 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:56 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I was gonna say.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:05 pm
Born again atheist

Your "clues" were rather misleading, except for the very last one. I'll bet your teacher was a tad more helpful.

I have other news for you.... not only did I solve your number series two different ways - both correct - but I found a mistake that you made in that "series"....

You provided this list:

16 17 18 22 24 31 100

...but according to your solution (decreasing bases for 16 starting with base 10) the list should be:

16 17 20 22 24 31 100

Now I'd like you to come up with the 10th term beyond 10000.

So, that's two solutions plus I corrected your mistake.... man, you own me a car.

Ooops. Sorry about the typo. What sort of car would you like? An MDX?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Since I already have one of those, I'll just go for a Lexus.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:10 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
That's what I was gonna say.
Yes, and I just barely beat you to that polynomial equation too.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:11 pm
Born again atheist

Since I already have one of those, I'll just go for a Lexus.

It's in the mail.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:13 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I have a bike? please?

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Feb 6th 2007 at 5:17 pm. Reason: damn grammar
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have bike? please?
No Comment.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:18 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Can I have bike? please?
DBD is sending you a photo of his willy.... it's in the mail.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

DBD is sending you a photo of his willy.... it's in the mail.

No, I'm not.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

That's alright, I do metric.
Question is what will we get first. The answer to the puzzle or a picture of dbd33's willy?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Question is what will we get first. The answer to the puzzle or a picture of dbd33's willy?
The answer to the puzzle is above. My willy's pictured on the machine behind me but I can't put it on the internet until I unplug it from a secret government tunnel thingy; I can't do that prematurely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.