Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fishy question...

Fishy question...

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishy question...

Depends where you are, where you buy, and what kind of fish you're getting. Also depends on the time of the year (example: mackerel out here run in the fall, so I get it cheaper then; rest of the year it's more expensive or more likely totally absent).
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I have no idea whether 290 grams is a standard weight or not, it seemed an odd number to me when I looked on their website.
Either 290grams is some sensible measure in imperial or they've juggled the weight to make the price look good. Typical metricalists, you can't trust them an inch.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Either 290grams is some sensible measure in imperial or they've juggled the weight to make the price look good. Typical metricalists, you can't trust them an inch.
Well you're a big boy, you do the math.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Alright then, how much is meat expressed in units of 290 grams?
The same weight as 290 grams of fat-(headedness).
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:23 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

At Calgary Co-op today.

Atlantic Salmon Fillets 290 grams $7.99
Cod Fillets 290 grams $7.69
Fresh Sole Fillets 290 grams $5.99
Snapper Fillets 320 grams $5.99

For other grocery prices in Calgary try this link: Calgary Co-op Pic'n'Del use T3A 1S2 as your postal code then "browse as a guest" (lower right hand corner of the next page).

Cheers
Steve
Thanks a bunch Steve_P!

But it must be hard to compare apples with oranges (i.e., by using 290 g and 320 g units instead of giving the fish price by the kilo - or the lb)...
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LHK
Thanks a bunch Steve_P!

But it must be hard to compare apples with oranges (i.e., by using 290 g and 320 g units instead of giving the fish price by the kilo - or the lb)...
I am reasonably sure if you were to go into the store the price per kilo would be there.

I'm not at all sure why it's not available on the website.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:28 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know he's a big boy????

(those photos were of the horse NOT dbd. )
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Some comparison shopping from my fridge (all from the same shop).

Minced beef $6.59/kg
Sole fillet $16.51/kg
Chicken breast $18.06/kg
Cheddar cheese (Canadian) $19/kg
Parmesan (Italian) $52.89/kg
Dried porcini mushrooms $secondmortage/kg
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:43 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Some comparison shopping from my fridge (all from the same shop).

Dried porcini mushrooms $secondmortage/kg
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:05 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

How much is 290 grams?
That's .29 kilograms, or .638 pounds.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 2nd 2007 at 10:10 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:06 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The same weight as 290 grams of fat-(headedness).
Okay, but which is heavier a gram of fat or a gram of feathers?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Okay, but which is heavier a gram of fat or a gram of feathers?
Well, duh!!!!! A gram of sense. (Or was it lead?).
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Metric maths is too difficult, fish comes in 290s, butter in 454s, shopkeepers only use metric to confuse customers and, with me, they succeed; I go to a reputable shop instead.

It's astonishingly arrogant of the Canadians to insist on this stupid scheme of labelling everything in odd numbers but I suppose that's part of being half-French.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by LHK
Thanks a bunch Steve_P!

Our local store shows prices in pounds, which makes sense because most goods are packaged in imperial (Even products which would be packaged in exact metric units in Europe, such as Grolsch beer, are supplied in imperial packaging here) and the price in metric measures. The price in metric measure varies according to the item and the unit of packaging so it's not at all a practical system (or, rather, the application of metric on an imperial continent is not practical).
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:13 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LHK
In general, when compared to chicken and meat, how cheap or expensive is fish in Canada?

I warned you it was a fishy question?
If you befriend the right people, fish can be cheap or even free. By fish and in my experience, I mean mainly salmon and halibut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.