Wikiposts

Exchange rate

Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:49 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Chris - the MIL is giving us some money to help us on our way to Canada, she's in Ireland, so will be going from EUR to CAD, the EUR looks strong against the CAD at the moment, would you suggest changing now or hanging on a bit longer?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

I think i may have explained before that rising interest rates means stronger currency..ECB (the Euro) sprung on the world just yesterday that rates are almost definately going up next month. The Euro is very very strong and has been for about 18 months, just keeps getting stronger. That isn't going to change until the US$ becomes a sound investment, therefore it is going to be a long time until the Euro collapses. I earn the bulk of my money in Euro and couldn't be happier. One day it will change but not even a glimmer on the horizon at the moment.

The key for you will be the press conference after the next ECB meeting. They have laid the groundwork for a rise next month, but it will be a case of what the say after that rise. My money this rise will be a one off and therefore changing up prior to next months meeting should give the best results. FYI, that meeting is usually the first Thursday of the month. I won't be about for that one as it is the day after we move into our new house. But you can catch the speech on Bloomberg or CNBC in Europe at 1.30pm (London Time) on that day, it will be made by Jean Claude Trichet and he will go on for about 90 mins.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:18 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris - useful as always
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Solarfish i guess eventually it may pay off for you keeping the house in the UK! but i don't envy you at the moment! I was considering doing the same! I had a tenant lined up! I bottled it in the end and sold it! I think in 20 years i will cursing myself!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Solarfish i guess eventually it may pay off for you keeping the house in the UK! but i don't envy you at the moment! I was considering doing the same! I had a tenant lined up! I bottled it in the end and sold it! I think in 20 years i will cursing myself!
We went the first three months without a tenant and that was scary, but right now things are OK and all I'm having to do is send about $800 a month to make up the difference between the mortgage and rent. The other reason we wanted to keep it is that it gives us a good fallback if things don't work out here. So far things are great, but you never know what might happen in the future.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Solarfish
We went the first three months without a tenant and that was scary, but right now things are OK and all I'm having to do is send about $800 a month to make up the difference between the mortgage and rent. The other reason we wanted to keep it is that it gives us a good fallback if things don't work out here. So far things are great, but you never know what might happen in the future.
Glad things have worked well so far! I was needing to send over about $500 a month too! that was a bit of a stumbling block also! when i wasnt sure of cost of living ect over here! Think we will stay here now too! just starting to look at buying first house after renting for 6 months. good to see you ve settled too!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:59 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC are currently offering 2.0018000
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take it! It's just dropped over 2 cents.... Cnelred, how can that happen? So much in such a short time???
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
I'd take it! It's just dropped over 2 cents.... Cnelred, how can that happen? So much in such a short time???
Probably the UK inflation rate numbers....means interest rates won't be cut affecting the exchange rate, I guess?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:34 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G586
Probably the UK inflation rate numbers....means interest rates won't be cut affecting the exchange rate, I guess?
Interest rates not being cut, or even increased, should strengthen sterling in theory..... but then I'm not an expert..... paging Chris.....
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:57 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

£1 = £2.03 now - keep going
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
£1 = £2.03 now - keep going
And that on the back of dismal UK financial news (mainly house prices!) and upbeat Canadian News (good GDP, high commodities).

Let's all hope this is on the way back to 2.35! I've still got a bit to change..... and I haven't paid the "welcome" tax yet!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

sorry i gave up work a couple of weeks ago, therefore i am out of the loop until September. We move into our new house on Wednesday and i always take end of July and August off, a history of losing too much money in those quiet summer markets ensures that i enjoy a relaxing summer these days.

Chris
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Enjoy your break.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cneldred
sorry i gave up work a couple of weeks ago, therefore i am out of the loop until September. We move into our new house on Wednesday and i always take end of July and August off, a history of losing too much money in those quiet summer markets ensures that i enjoy a relaxing summer these days.

Chris
Good luck with the move Chris. Four weeks today ours should be ready so we'll be after some tips on the 'moving in' process.

Chris
(Looking forward to a day out in Wasaga Beach!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.